• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's The Best First Episode You've Ever Seen?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pikapwn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, really great article! As someone who gives shows time to develop before giving them thorough judgments, this is actually a question I hadn't given much thought before. But reading what the ANN staff wrote gave me some good ideas to start thinking.

For what I think is the best, I would have to agree with what's already very nicely written about Cross Game (yeah, I know, boring answer.

But there were many others that came to mind when I started thinking:

Gurren Lagann
Also for the reasons very well stated in the article

Space Dandy
Tons of goofy fun and great animation with an ending that shows you exactly how seriously the show is (not) going to take itself.

One Punch Man
Something really new, but also does a great job at showing the audience its humor and introducing its main character. Also making a great promise of all the impressive action to come with that incredible action sequence in the second half.

Haikyu!!
Another great display of action to come throughout the series by having a full match take place right off the bat. Also ends with a great twist establishing the ups and downs the two main characters go through before they can finally start working well together.

Zankyou no Terror
Introduces the viewer to its main character in a way that makes you feel the same shock and confusion that the rest of the show's world must have felt, as the main characters start things of with their calm set up of a big catastrophe, and their motivations remaining unclear; keeping you guessing what they're after until the very end.

Also have to give a special mention to best first episode to a series I really didn't like, which would be Hamatora. I thought it was a really fun start, but no other episode lived up to the first in my opinion, as the rest of them either were meant to be extremely stupid or were trying to be very serious, but weren't too well put together.

I'd really like to see a feature where you ask "What's the best first episode of a series that went downhill from there"

Something else I'd like would be best first manga chapter, since My Hero Academia, All You Need is Kill, and Mononofu were firsts that I loved, but are technically not allowed on this list.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
Yu Yu Hakusho

I won't pretend Yu Yu Hakusho bursts with sophistication. First and foremost, it takes aim at its young Weekly Shonen Jump readership with ballsy action and demonic villains. And yet between all the flying punches and spirit gun blasts, original creator Yoshihiro Togashi knew when to bring out heartfelt character moments.

Yu Yu Hakusho's first episode introduces us to punk protagonist Yusuke Urameshi and the people who have to put up with him. Hotheaded and rude, Yusuke's fed up with his mom, his school, and Junior High life in general. He rebels against authority figures and intimidates his peers. No amount of scolding from his girl pal Kieko or lecturing from the well-meaning Principal Takenaka gets through to the kid, and it looks like viewers will have to put up with an ill-tempered brat for the rest of the show. And then one act of surprising selfless heroism leaves him crumpled roadkill on the street.

After saving a young boy's life (at least, that's what he thinks at first), Yusuke's ghost meets the peppy grim reaper Botan, who offers him a second chance at life. Even in death, Yusuke is obstinate. He wants to stay a ghost, thinking no one will miss him. That changes when he attends his own funeral, and sees the people close to him - including his loudmouth street rival Kuwabara - break down one after another in front of his casket. The scene stirs emotions into a perfect mixture of sad beauty. Kuwabara's manly tears get me every time.

The episode plants the first seeds of Yusuke's transformation from cocky delinquent into an equally cocky, but lovable, hero. There are hardly any supernatural hijinks or no-hold brawls, and yet the episode works as the perfect opener to the smart action romp.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
Off the top of my head, I remember really being impressed with Gargantia's first episode. Unfortunately, the series as a whole did not live up to the hype of that first episode.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Utena. When that first "zettai unmei" sequence started I was kind of blown away.

Also Bakemonogatari. Aesthetically it just pushed a lot of my buttons in a way that nothing but Utena (what a coincidence) had. And that stapler scene!

Both of these first episodes just gave me the overwhelming feeling that these weren't going to be typical anime experiences and I was about to watch something truly original.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I went into Cross Game expecting just another generic sports anime. The first episode blew me completely out of the water. One of my favourite shows (and first episodes of all time)

Gotta agree with Madoka Magica too. I went into it thinking "I've heard a lot of people raving about this, I wonder why" and was gobsmacked by the first episode. Stayed up till about 2am watching the rest all in one go, which was not the original plan.
PrimarchBentley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Of shows not listed so far, Star Driver probably has to be up towards the top for me. You have a fairly straight forward setup for the first half of the episode, then BAM, you get your introduction to Glittering Crux (kirabosh!), your first view of Zero Time, leading to the climax of Takuto (our so far seemingly normal-ish protagonist) having his fabulous combination mech summon/magical boy transformation sequence to become Ginga Bishounen and save the day kicking ass in Tauburn.

For me, good first episodes are often about:
Impact - Star Driver, "The Ikuharas" - Utena/Penguindrum/Yurikuma, Aquarion Evol, Black Lagoon, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, Ben-to, One-Punch Man
Interesting world/situation setup - No. 6 (before it went to crap later), Last Exile, Simoun, Xam'd, Sora no Woto, Shin Sekai Yori, Toward the Terra, Crest of the Stars, Dantalian, Kino's Journey (though 2nd ep. is even better), Angel Beats
Catchy art/direction - Bakemonogatari (and all the following arcs), Hanayamata, Yuki Yuna
"The Feels" - Bunny Drop, Cross Game
"The Setup" where you know there will be something going on with the series, so you pay close attention to and perhaps even rewatch that first episode for references/future call-outs, etc. - Steins;Gate, Baccano!
"Something unique" - Gankutsuou for visuals, Ghost Hound for its use of the sound stage

Iyashikei titles are usually "all in" or "probably not for me" for someone from the first episode - there's usually no "explaining it to someone else".
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
Serial Experiments Lain would easily have my vote. The first episode is a dense slice of intrigue and world-building, with just enough hints at what's to come to keep the viewer hooked, and a bizarre parting moment that left me scratching my head and immediately wanting more.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
Competing for my favorite with Cross Game would be two of the greatest madcap comedy first episodes ever. A couple years ago ANN's general Animation discussion section held a tournament for "Best First Episode", I nominated and wrote up defenses for these two:

Excel Saga: What Makes It Great: This is one of the most hilariously random first episodes of comedy you will ever witness. Every other scene is self-referential, scenes move from one locale to the next on apparent whim, random sequences are shown without connection to a plot (if there is one), it is violent, the main character yells hysterically throughout, the show ends in "failure" and the end credits are "sung" by a sad little barking dog lamenting (via translator) his fate as a foodstuff. It seemingly doesn't tell a coherent story and if you watch only this episode you have no idea if any single aspect of the show you just watched will carry over to the next, but you do know this is pure comedy like you've never seen before and if you laughed at all- you will be back for more.

Hayate the Combat Butler: One of the great aspects of this episode is that a lot happens but it demonstrates such an economy and clearness of storytelling that it really doesn’t feel rushed or over-packed. The story handles asides like a non-linear pre-credits scene and Santa visions with ease, characters like Hayate’s boss, his schoolmates, the gangsters, and the kidnappers come and go by without ever being confused as important. In one episode you know everything you need to know about Hayate, his talents, his faults, his doubts, and his innate goodness. In one episode he is a fully realized comedic character that you can cheer for and laugh at in equal measure. And then there’s the comedic gymnastics that the series performs. It switches from breaking the fourth wall to ludicrous slapstick violence to spoofing and referencing anime to surreal and unexpected bits like the Santa visions and a visit from his good and evil conscience. Special mention also goes to the inspired narration, voiced by Norio Wakamoto in one of his most masterful performances in a career made by his distinctive voice, “all-knowing” superior, condescending and pompous, truly making otherwise unremarkable narration a thing of hilarity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Most of my favourite series didn't actually impress me that much with their first episodes, while many first episodes that did impress me led mediocre series. Cross Game is definitely a good choice, though. Great first episode and series.

Perhaps that's something that could be asked in future. "Most misleading first episode."

Out of currently-airing shows, I found Osomatsu-San's first episode pretty hilarious and unpredictable. One Punch Man's was definitely impressive but it's harder for me to judge fairly since I knew what was going to happen. I really liked Owarimonogwtari's first episode but its double length is kind of cheating.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Perhaps that's something that could be asked in future. "Most misleading first episode."

Ah, that would be Galaxy Fraulein Yuna OVA.

(It promised to be this cute, crazy, A-ko like comedy, and then, by Ep. 2...what happened?? Confused )
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
Off the top of my head, I remember really being impressed with Gargantia's first episode. Unfortunately, the series as a whole did not live up to the hype of that first episode.

spoiler[I was very disappointed to discover that Gargantia wasn't going to be a space opera after that remarkably animated first episode.]

Sven Viking wrote:

For me, there's no contest -- Shadow Star Narutaru.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
PrimarchBentley wrote:
Of shows not listed so far, Star Driver probably has to be up towards the top for me. You have a fairly straight forward setup for the first half of the episode, then BAM, you get your introduction to Glittering Crux (kirabosh!), your first view of Zero Time, leading to the climax of Takuto (our so far seemingly normal-ish protagonist) having his fabulous combination mech summon/magical boy transformation sequence to become Ginga Bishounen and save the day kicking ass in Tauburn.
Star Driver is definitely on my short list. It really hits everything that it needs to in order to set up the rest of the show, on top of looking fantastic and being well paced. Love it.
pikabot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with some of the list; I thought Gurren Lagann's first episode was very underwhelming, because without any actual results to show for it, Kamina's constant boasting just became repetitive. A lot of what it did was necessary for the series as a whole, but it wasn't a lot of fun to watch.

And I strongly disagree with the FMA opening two-parter. You describe it as 'slowly' introducing the world and characters. Well, slowly is indeed the operative word there. So little of interest happens in Lior that the decision to stretch it out into a two-parter is baffling to me to this day.

As for my own choices? Well, here's a few:

Cowboy Bebop might be the lazy man's anime recommendation, but it really does have a brilliant first episode. Really sets the tone for the show, and establishes that even if things get kind of silly sometimes, this is still a very serious and atmospheric show. It also plays around with a lot of dramatic tension, where Spike and what's-her-name are talking and we know who each of them is, but it's not clear to the audience whether they've made each other or not. Also, it pretty much summarizes the whole series down into one dialogue exchange, when Jet explains to Spike that the damages they incurred while tracking down their last bounty basically ate the whole bounty out from under them.

Serial Experiments Lain is as cryptic as first episodes come, but that's perfect because Lain is about as cryptic as an anime series can get. It really showcases the series' art style and unique pacing, and everything always feels one moment away from some great revelation - which never comes, just drawing out the tension even further.

Baccano! is another one which really encapsulates the essence of the series. It sets up or at least invokes every major plot thread, and sets the whole mystery of 'how are all these things related' in motion. It's an almost perfect viewer hook.

And now to get to some truly obscure stuff, RideBack has a fantastic first episode. Not only because it establishes the central character's motivations and the central premise - former ballerina takes up riding robot motorcycles - it also does a bunch of really subtle worldbuilding. It doesn't feel the need to hit you over the head with 'yeah these people are living under a dictatorship', and yet you get that impression clearly and immediately. it also showcases some great art and animation and very tastefully sidesteps a couple easy opportunities for fanservice, signalling to the viewer that yeah, it's not that kind of series.[/i]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

For me, there's no contest -- Shadow Star Narutaru.

Yep. If you've seen the whole series then it's pretty much impossible to give that award to anything else. (Although Now and Then, Here and There would have to be at least considered.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't pick a best first episode. My top 10 anime aren't even an a set order because it would change constantly.

Anyway, I definitely agree with Kyousogiga and Princess Tutu.

Honestly, I could probably make a long post, but I'm just going to list some that spring to mind:

Maria the Virgin Witch-It's been a while since a newer series had me so invested in the first episode. I thought it did a great introduction to the world and our main character.

Oh! Edo Rocket-A lot went on in this first episode: secret agents, monsters, fireworks, and government shenanigans. Basically, it did a great job of getting me to watch the rest to see what was going on and I'm so glad I did.

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit-Does some world building, as well as show how much of a badass Balsa is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12