• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Uniform Loungewear for Men Sells Out in 2 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Ughhhh......

Hmmmmmm......

Yeah, I am out. (I am kidding, kidding!)

Japan never cease to amaze me (I mean, I live in Japan for years and should have got used to all these crazy stuff)

Regarding to the acceptance of cross-dressing in Japan, that should not be surprising. I mean, if you need any example, a top elite all-boy high school hosts an annual cross-dressing school "queen" contest; and you will be shocked to see the sheer amount of passion and enthusiasm from both male and female audiences.

see for yourself: http://www.bilibili.com/video/av3191188/
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
Believe it or not this doesn't come as a surprise to me, At my high school we have a cross dressing day to learn about gender stereotypes I personally never participated even though I have long hair but most of my friends did I just felt like I was too smart to participate since I don't judge someone based off stereotypes. Cool
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
I guess the guys want the sailor look back.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
Article:
Quote:
It should be noted that cross-dressing is not considered synonymous with homosexuality in Japan.

While this may be true, at least in the USA, I think it would be semi-synonymous with homosexuality. Regardless, when you choose to do a said behavior that is considered "not normal" by many people (like me), you are risking receiving a lot of criticism.
Floatingvicar79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
Man, i'd probably wear one at a convention just for a laugh with my mates Embarassed
Mints97

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, this says more about how the Japanese can and do take cross-dressing with lots of humor and without the unfounded 'murican awe (or the just as unfounded Russian hate). I really respect them for that. They see all of the "gender" issues of our day precisely as the joke they are (Puri-puri-prisoner, anyone?) Very Happy
Seska1973

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Aww, come on guys..

Rocky Horror Picture Show

it is not only an Japan thing...
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Mints97 wrote:
In my opinion, this says more about how the Japanese can and do take cross-dressing with lots of humor and without the unfounded 'murican awe (or the just as unfounded Russian hate). I really respect them for that. They see all of the "gender" issues of our day precisely as the joke they are (Puri-puri-prisoner, anyone?) Very Happy

Japan is pretty conservative. I doubt it's much better at gender issues than the US is. Sure, there is a Japanese crossdressing subculture, but it's not socially accepted for men to wear skirts in their daily life.

Actually I'm not sure what your point with Puri Puri Prisoner is: that he's a good example of the Japanese openness towards different gender identities, or that the concept of gender issues is a joke in itself? I can't say I agree with you either way.

No matter what, it's nice that this product is selling! People should be able to wear whatever they want, no matter their gender.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Mints97 wrote:

Ah... no.

The problem with Japan, is that it does "see all of the "gender" issues of our day precisely as the joke they are." Because Japan loves to make a joke out of anything it doesn't want to accept. If you're laughing at it, you can't take it seriously. Which is not a good thing. If anyone does take things seriously (for example a gay person in Japan), they are laughed at as if they are not serious, and if they continue, ostracised from society. Is that something to laugh about? The country is often incapable of having a serious discussion on many issues, like gay, and gender equality (a big problem for the country), precisely because the media makes such a joke about it constantly. Anything that strays from the normalcy of the very proper salaryman with the wife at home is too frequently made to look like a joke, and quashed.

But if you think the best way to deal with a problem is to laugh at it, and not consider it seriously. Then yeah, more power to ya. Keep making the world a shittier place for everyone but yourself.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ahem.....

Thank you.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:10 am Reply with quote
Japan releases results of its first national same-sex marriage survey

• On November 28, the results of Japan’s first national survey about attitudes toward gay marriage were revealed. What kind of image did they paint of the people of Japan?

Results were divided, with an almost 50/50 split between those in support and those against it, with those in total or partial support at narrowly becoming the majority at 51.1%.

However, when surveyed about their feelings about the issue hitting closer to home, the scales were slightly tipped in the other direction.

Of those surveyed, 53.2% answered that they would not be supportive if they learned that a male friend was gay, while 50.4% of respondents said they would not be supportive if it transpired that a female friend of theirs preferred women. The survey also noted that more than 70% of men in their 40s said that they would not approve if they found out their co-worker was gay.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Psychological studies of gender characteristics and how the two gender's brains tend to operate and function found that men tend to only utilise one side of their brains for daily activities and females use both sides. But there are occasions where some males can and do use both sides as a female would, though doing so did not necessarily make any difference to prefered sexuallity none the less their character did seem to favour a small female tendancy. Research had found that nowhere else has as high a known concentration of these as Japan. Seeing this article seems to add proof of this finding. I also remember a documentary done by our Channel 4 about Japan which visited a thriving shop in Shibuya that made to order and sold women's lingerie and fashion clothing specifically and excusively for men to wear. The store owner even arranged for one of his clients to give an interview at the client's home, and yes he dressed up for the interview.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Well,don't expect me to be wearing that. I tend to have something called dignity and I'm not going to embarrass myself,whether wearing this in public or private. I'd much rather have a track suit as my lounge wear. This just looks ridiculous and stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1