• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan Video Compares Original FFVII and Remake Scenes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Although I don't agree with all the design choices, the new footage is a large technical improvement at least, and keeps in line spiritually with the original work. My biggest wish is that Midgar didn't look so cramped --- although the original game was graphically limited, the art design gave a great sense for scale, and the new trailer has that "narrow hallway" feeling that fully 3D rpgs sometimes suffer from.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
I see quite a bit of changes but there are still scenes that remain faithful. It would be foolish to expect it to be exact. Sometimes some changes can make or break. But I do want to see it remain faithful but also expanding on original series if possible. Give us something that we may have had questions about in the past.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Although I don't agree with all the design choices, the new footage is a large technical improvement at least, and keeps in line spiritually with the original work. My biggest wish is that Midgar didn't look so cramped --- although the original game was graphically limited, the art design gave a great sense for scale, and the new trailer has that "narrow hallway" feeling that fully 3D rpgs sometimes suffer from.

To be fair, Midgar was supposed to be super cramped. It's a double layered Metropolis so large that trains had to be used to travel and that dead space is filled with trash. If they made it as it was supposed to be in scale, the game would never have left Midgar.
Mystifire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I see quite a bit of changes but there are still scenes that remain faithful. It would be foolish to expect it to be exact. Sometimes some changes can make or break. But I do want to see it remain faithful but also expanding on original series if possible. Give us something that we may have had questions about in the past.

Honestly, this is the perfect opportunity for them to build on scenes/areas of the world that they previous weren't able to due to the limitiations of the PS1. Obviously completely changing everything would suck, but I'm down for a little bit of overhaul if it means we get to see more than we did in the original.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
What that demonstrated to me was how amazing the scene of Cloud jumping on the moving CG train was for its time... Nothing came close to it at the time///

I remember the occasional places in the game where all of a sudden your character is moving on a fully animated CG background movie and how awesome it was with the changing perspective in real time for the time.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote
Its good to get a better perspective on it. The fighting looks like dissida mixed with XV. But the pausing and limit breaks make it feel like the camera is a bit over reactive.

I remember this game was so hyped up back then that mainstream people were getting it and then asking where the other games were. The core fans just shook their heads. We'd been invaded.

I recieved a promo square vhs tape, the FMV cut scenes and pre loading times were a big thing then. That and Sakaguchi's mom dying during the making of 7. A ton of emotion was put into this game. Tobal No 1 had a demo. Playstation magazine had a demo. It was an exciting time.

I hope they can turn this nostalgia romp into something respectable, given their track record they wont. Hell, cant. These leftovers cant even deliver FFXV let alone juggling numurous products at once.

That would be an outside perspective, anyone following SE as shitty as they have been they were working on the luminous engine and The Cloud rendering so they say. It certainly has taken long enough but If its really true we will be getting FFXV KH3, Deus Ex 4, and this remake in a short amount of time compared to the decade of bad decisions we have witnessed.

There are more deserving titles in the back catalog to be remade than FF7. Enix has yet to really shine. FF6, Seiken Densetsu 2 , Parasite eve, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Live a Live. How about Chrono Trigger? People would go nuts to see Lavos in these graphics. At this point Im sure its on the table.

This is just the game side, SE is rooted in more than just gaming now a days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1