• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see reprints of all the old PULP lines. I stumbled upon an old issue in my boyfriend's garage and was promptly addicted to Voyeur and Strain. I also happened to pick up an old copy of Sanctuary and only wish I could find them all more accessibly. Along with reprints of Phoenix, this would make me a very happy person.

Also, Urasawa insisted on releasing his manga in the states in the same order they were in Japan, so 20th Century Boys will be out promptly after Monster finishes. And I have no doubts it will be on the signature line. Although I highly hope that Pluto is liscened soon, as it's his series I'm most interested in reading.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
CorrosiveMeso wrote:
I haven't read Freesia or Ichi the Killer, HellKorn, but I really like Hideki Arai's works. I've only read of little of The World is Mine and Kiichi!, but they're great. I hope they're licensed. Otherwise, I'll have to splurge and start buying the French versions.

The French get all the good manga since they aren't stuck in the mindset that cartoons are only for children and have a healthy history of art in various forms, unlike some other refined country we could mention.

I'm figuring to eventually import Arai's works along with some other manga from Japan, anyway, since the chances of my long wish list of manga to be licensed will probably never happen with the current market in North America.

driverstart wrote:
It [Portus] is rated M for mature as well. I feel that this is more of a Viz Signature title. Who feels this way?

I don't see why, unless it's some smart social commentary or whatever you want to call it. It seems to be aimed at pre-teens, teenagers at best and that's not the intended audience for Viz's Signature Line.

Quote:
Also, all current titles in the Viz Signature line end next year sadly. No more Drifting Classroom, Golgo 13, and Monster next year...

... I trust that you don't read Vagabond? That's a title that should continue into 2009, knowing Inoue's pacing.

Also, Not a Jellyfish, check out this thread regarding Pluto.
Althalus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, not even France is able to support everything. I've just had one of the series I buy cancelled -- "Karakuri Circus" by Kazuhiro Fujita (better known for "Ushio to Tora") -- at 21 of 43 volumes because it sold abominably badly (only around 700 copies per volume, where 2000 would be the necessary minimum, economically). A shame, but can't be helped.

~Althalus
smoochy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
I'd love to see reprints of all the old PULP lines. I stumbled upon an old issue in my boyfriend's garage and was promptly addicted to Voyeur and Strain. I also happened to pick up an old copy of Sanctuary and only wish I could find them all more accessibly. Along with reprints of Phoenix, this would make me a very happy person.

Also, Urasawa insisted on releasing his manga in the states in the same order they were in Japan, so 20th Century Boys will be out promptly after Monster finishes. And I have no doubts it will be on the signature line. Although I highly hope that Pluto is liscened soon, as it's his series I'm most interested in reading.

You can still find all of Strain, Sanctuary, and Voyeur on Amazon, thats how I picked up the last couple volumes of Strain and Sanctuary. And I do believe Phoenix is being reprinted, I got a copy of three in the mail finally and the 2nd edition was released June 07.
TSC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
The French get all the good manga since they aren't stuck in the mindset that cartoons are only for children and have a healthy history of art in various forms, unlike some other refined country we could mention.

Which is funny how Italy doesn't get as much either despite it's big history of art as well.
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quote
Viz Signature manga fans! I have some good news! Amazon.com now has the next three volumes and release dates for Monster & The Drifting Classroom (Plus their synopsis as well! The next volumes sound awesome!) starting at December and going to April. Golgo 13 final 2 volumes released in December and February are also now given release dates. With this news, we can start official preordering our copies! Smile

Amazon has also provided news on the release of Vagabond Vol. 26. It is to be released October 23, 2007. There is also some information about the release of Vol. 27 (Though Japan hasn’t come out with 27 yet.) and that it’ll be released on March 18, 2008. I’m not sure about this, but the website is called simonsays.com if anyone wants to see for themselves. Confused Phoenix Vol. 12 is also to be released on that date in case anyone also wants to verify it.

While I'm also here, I got to say I already preorder my copies of Monster and The Drifting Classroom in advance and I picked up my copies of Monster Vol. 10 and The Drifting Classroom Vol. 7 last Saturday. I got them a week early! Very Happy
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
You can still find all of Strain, Sanctuary, and Voyeur on Amazon, thats how I picked up the last couple volumes of Strain and Sanctuary. And I do believe Phoenix is being reprinted, I got a copy of three in the mail finally and the 2nd edition was released June 07.

Excellent. Are the prices decent? I managed to find all of Sanctuary at a Half-Price Books store when I was visiting my friend in Texas, but I didn't have the luggage room to buy all the copies. Anime cry

Although it's being reprinted, is there any place to buy it now? Amazon, I guess? I haven't really looked. I prefer to buy in-store. Thanks for telling me, though.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
the Signature imprint is pretty much a big joke with Viz and their lack of risk-taking.
playing it "safe" with seinen is about the dumbest thing you can do
gotta give my respect to Del Rey for trying to give us stuff like Mushishi and Devil Blues; but in all fairness Shogakukan is where the real meaty series are. Ikki & Spirits alone cover so many of my favorite manga
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
the Signature imprint is pretty much a big joke with Viz and their lack of risk-taking.
playing it "safe" with seinen is about the dumbest thing you can do
gotta give my respect to Del Rey for trying to give us stuff like Mushishi and Devil Blues; but in all fairness Shogakukan is where the real meaty series are. Ikki & Spirits alone cover so many of my favorite manga

I think all the companies have meaty manga for all genres. Viz IS'NT a risktaker, like you said, so... many series will get stuck in japan only. Chuang Yi is publishing a lot of series from all publishers for singapore? (I think) While it is expensive for shipping, they have some series america would almost never release.
Eliu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
What about Ping Pong? Viz has the movie and now what about the five volume Manga? Ping Pong needs the love and so do the fans of Taiyo Matsumoto.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:

The US has just as rich a history as France and had a storytelling genius to reach the masses (Herge for Franco-Belgian comics) in Eisner. Unfortunately the industry got neutered by the Comics Code, which limited the industry to children (and later to man-children). Even before that you had comic strips like Little Nemo or Krazy Kat being regarded as serious artwork. But the over the past 20 or so years the medium is slowly (and very painfully) gaining recognition, even if it has been limited to pseudo-intellectuals trying to find the "next Maus," as if that were the only comic of artistic merit ever created. Just last year you had a comic named as the best book of 06 by Time, so it isn't like progress isn't happening. I doubt we ever will catch up to France though, and obviously we'll never come close to Japan.

Quote:
... I trust that you don't read Vagabond? That's a title that should continue into 2009, knowing Inoue's pacing.

More like '15 unless he gets tired and decides to do a giant time leap to Musashi writing the Book of Five Rings.

Quote:

Although it's being reprinted, is there any place to buy it now? Amazon, I guess? I haven't really looked. I prefer to buy in-store. Thanks for telling me, though.

Only Phoenix and Nausicaa are being reprinted. Both should be available in a few weeks. You'd think that Viz would want to jump on Sanctuary or Strain considering the success that Darkhorse has been having with manly-manga, especially since like someone mentioned most of their series are wrapping up...

Quote:

What about Ping Pong? Viz has the movie and now what about the five volume Manga? Ping Pong needs the love and so do the fans of Taiyo Matsumoto.

All I can say is buy the Tekkon Kinkreet graphic novel. Unlike most of the Signature line Viz actually seems to be putting effort into selling this one and by the accounts I've heard has done a bang-up job on the book itself, so make sure you buy it and send them the message that more books like this are wanted on this side of the Pacific.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
[comic knowledge that I cannot compete against]

I was thinking more along the lines of, "What, we're just infants in terms of how long we've been around compared to good ol' France." I'm also stuck in the mindset that, as you mentioned, there's been as much backpedaling as there is progress in recent decades when it comes to taking cartooning as a serious medium.

Quote:
More like '15 unless he gets tired and decides to do a giant time leap to Musashi writing the Book of Five Rings.

It depends more on how much of Musashi's life Inoue wants to cover. I haven't read the original novel but I have seen the movie trilogy, so he could decide to only cover up to the spoiler[Musashi and Kojiro's fight.] Then again there's been some notable deviations already, so...

Quote:
Only Phoenix and Nausicaa are being reprinted. Both should be available in a few weeks. You'd think that Viz would want to jump on Sanctuary or Strain considering the success that Darkhorse has been having with manly-manga, especially since like someone mentioned most of their series are wrapping up...

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Dark Horse picked those up, since they don't have too much on their plate at the moment.

Quote:
All I can say is buy the Tekkon Kinkreet graphic novel.

And buy the freakin' live-action movie adaption that was just released by Viz today!
driverstart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Well it is a new month so I'll list the newest volumes coming out from the Signature Line for this month.

Phoenix, Vol. 11 is to be release on 9/18/07
Tekkon Kinkreet: Black & White Ominbus Edition is to be release 9/25/07.

I might try to get Tekkon Kinkreet, but it might be too expensive or I might not have enough to buy it considering I'm buying like 8 other volumes from different series that update this month that I enjoy to read. But who's buying what this month?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Tekkon is out in certain stores right now. For those of you who are unsure because of the high price keep in mind the book is 600+ pages for $30, which makes it fall into the same price rate as most manga. And considering Viz is using excellent paper, ink and a slip-cover for good measure, its actually a great value. Anyways I didn't buy it (Amazon is the way to go for expensive items) but it looks like they really gave it the release it deserves. Hopefully some people will actually buy it so we can get a separate thread going.

At the moment I'm kind of burnt out on Tezuka and will probably save this last arc of Phoenix till later. I still have yet to get the third volume and Civil War.

Quote:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Dark Horse picked those up, since they don't have too much on their plate at the moment.

Sanctuary would be very nice. I get the feeling they're going to just keep releasing Koike manga, even if its sub-par, but getting some Buroson would be a nice change of pace (I'm actually suprised they haven't gone after Fist).
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Tekkon is out in certain stores right now. For those of you who are unsure because of the high price keep in mind the book is 600+ pages for $30, which makes it fall into the same price rate as most manga. And considering Viz is using excellent paper, ink and a slip-cover for good measure, its actually a great value.

And it's apparently very, very huge. Not to mention it's also the greatest manga legally translated into English.

Can't wait to get my copy.

Quote:
Sanctuary would be very nice. I get the feeling they're going to just keep releasing Koike manga, even if its sub-par, but getting some Buroson would be a nice change of pace (I'm actually suprised they haven't gone after Fist).

Unless Buronson is using a pseudonym I don't know about, he had zero involvement with Sanctuary. Though he did write the story for Strain.

And maybe the license for First of the North Star is too high for Dark Horse at the moment?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10