• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Familiar with Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
a misogynistic exercise in throwing a bunch of magical moe girls

Perhaps you can explain the "M" word. There were hardly any male characters, and what ones were there, were fairly benign.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
a misogynistic exercise in throwing a bunch of magical moe girls

Perhaps you can explain the "M" word. There were hardly any male characters, and what ones were there, were fairly benign.
Which "M" word are you confused with mate? Wink
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Darn, another of my favorites gets a perishable review Oh well, I'll definitely be buying Wixoss soon. It had its issuesspoiler[ (I was a bit underwhelmed with the explanation for the system's creation at the end of Spread, but that final scene with all the LRIGs as humans made up for it)] but it was still a fun ride. I liked the visuals, and the soundtrack was amazing. I can see some comparisons to Madoka, but other than the dark nature of the story they felt pretty different to me. I greatly prefer Wixoss over Madoka anyway. And that collection is impressive. At first I thought it was a picture of a library collection.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
From the way it sounds, Season 2 of WIXOSS might actually end up working for me in the ways Season 1 didn't. Given everything I already have to keep up with I don't know when I'll manage to get to it, but I won't write it off completely.

Also, I totally see that many people posting here find the Madoka comparison to be unwarranted, and I get why you might feel that way. All it means is that you keep doing what one always done when reading a review for anything: Take into account your own tastes and experiences, and factor it into what you take away from the author's word. One person's "Perishable" is another person's "Shelf Worthy", and so on.

And again, just as Zac was saying, just because I wasn't a huge fan of the show doesn't mean anyone else's appreciation for it is invalid at all, be it Theron Martin's or anyone posting here. Some of my favorite shows of all time have been criticized, sometimes heavily so, by other writers here on this site. Our disagreeing with one another doesn't mean either one of us is automatically or inherently more wrong or right, though. The same principle applies for everyone here, too.

Now, I am new face around these parts, so it's quite possible my interpretation of what "Perishable" means doesn't jive with everyone else's common understanding of the score. It doesn't necessarily change how I feel about the show, or the rating I gave it, but I'll definitely keep it in mind going forward when I am elaborating my points any given show's rating.

I've really appreciated a lot of this discussion, though, and I'm looking forward to engaging in many more conversations with the community down the line!
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to ANN, James_Beckett Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:

I've really appreciated a lot of this discussion, though, and I'm looking forward to engaging in many more conversations with the community down the line!

I sure hope you got a nice bottle of single malt and some aspirin at home. You'll need both. Wink
Foxaika

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:

I sure hope you got a nice bottle of single malt and some aspirin at home. You'll need both. Wink

Haha, these forums aren't that bad I don't think.
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
WIXSUXX is perishable because it's pure stupid garbage.

So the magical card battles. They just happen. There is never any insight whatsoever about how they work or the game mechanics itself. Quite literally they just sit at tables opposite each other shouting ever bigger attacks until one of them wins, presumably whoever screamed louder. All so tense and exciting!

The big reveal about what happens to those who lose manny battles. Hitoe suffers for it, and then after much tears and crying she is back exactly the way she was with no repercussions whatsoever. Those are some threatening consequences!

What of our main heroes? At one point they are chased by their middle schoolmates, to have them devilered to Akira(?). Somehow this is a menace that cannot be solved by a teacher bitchslapping the pursuers around.
Other times Akira chases them in her lonesome, since she really, REALLY wants to battle with them after them learning the effects of losing. There is like 3 or 4 of them including Kazuki(!), but that is somehow not enough to break her face in or just tell her to "fudge off!" Instead they fearfully run for their lives from this model girl.

That is the quality of writing in this show.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

We're not talking about WIXSUXX, though. We're talking about WIXOSS.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
I've seen that said before, (even if more maturely) that Wixoss fails as a tcg adaptation because it fails to properly explain the rules of said game. And, that;s probably true.
But the first two episodes let the viewer know this isn't going to be another Card Fight Vanguard, dedicating multiple episodes to the mechanics. No, it's about the characters playing the game.
No offense to fans of CFV. If traditional card game anime that heavily market the merch is someone's thing, then this won't be for everyone.
I personally like that it adds quite a bit of realism to the basic setup. People, especially kids, are going to have consequences in a system that puts friends against each other. The addictive qualities and the power highs are something almost taken positively by the likes of Yu-Gi-Oh.
That battles can be stopped by some adults wondering hy they aren't in school and needing to find spots where they get some privacy hahas some thought to it. And as for the players themselves, I was refreshed by the psychological approach to their mindsets.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
I prefer Wixoss this way over being another Yugioh or Duel Masters.

1. The card game isn't even being localized in America. What's the point of explaining it?

2. You can tell the gist of what's going on in these fights judging from the character reactions.

3. I'd rather have them explain the rules of this universe and the motives of its characters than the rules of some card game I'm never gonna play anyway.

It's similar to Princess Tutu. I love that show. I'm certain that if you know about Ballet, you'll enjoy it even more. However, knowing about or having an interest in ballet isn't a requirement for enjoying the anime. I like it that way. Would you rather the show write itself into a corner and market the anime solely toward those who want to play the card game?

In a show with no huge flaws (thus far) the two complaints I see most often are ones that I disagree with severely. "It's just a Madoka Ripoff" and "I can't understand the rules of the card game." The second one, admittedly, feels like it will be a problem at first, but may I remind you all of another example where the climax was a game that the Japanese audience knows well, but Americans have no idea how to play? Summer Wars. Koi Koi what? I didn't know what that was, but it was intense and easy to follow the main idea of it.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Can we stop comparing every single show where teenage girls do vaguely-sinister supernatural things to a show that "stole" its best plot twist from Sasami: Magical Girls Club?

This isn't just because I consider Wixoss to be a better show than Madoka. Different strokes for different folks and all that, and I get that lots of people consider Madoka God's gift to anime or whatever. I'm just sick of every review of every magical girl show ignoring that Madoka's story, imagery, characters, themes, etc. were built on dozens of existing works, while criticizing newer shows for doing the same thing.

This!
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
scineram wrote:

We're not talking about WIXSUXX, though. We're talking about WIXOSS.

I'm sure that was just autocorrect. That thing works in mysterious ways. Laughing

FenixFiesta wrote:
Amusing because the original seiyuu for both characters is Rie Kugimiya who has spent a good chunk of her career playing tsundere pettanko characters.

And her voice plays into why I like them too. When I really started to get into anime a few years ago, the first 3 tsundere characters I encountered were Taiga (Toradora), Louise (Familiar of Zero), and Aria (Aria of the Scarlet Ammo). Laughing

I will also add, I did not go out seeking Rie's work when I decided to check out these shows. To this day, voice actors aren't a draw for me, but there are some that I do enjoy their work.

It has been awhile since I last saw Zero. And, now, with the last season coming to me in early December, I can sit back and watch it all on BDs. But, I'm one that doesn't have an issue when it comes to "abusive tsun falls in love".
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Foxaika wrote:
Haha, these forums aren't that bad I don't think.

I've got a bottle of Ibuprofen and some Coconut Smirnoff, just in case Wink

{Fixed your inline quotes for you. ~nobahn}
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

One should never ingest alcohol with chemicals at the same time. Wink Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5