• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why We Still Love Digimon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AquaVersus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
cannonfodder4000 wrote:
God, the character design in the new one sucks so hard. They all have the same face. Ever heard of variety? the original show had that

At least the Digimon look great

What are you talking about? Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02 often struggled with "same face" syndrome, depending on who was animating each episode. Go back and check. It's clear as day. The new designs are just as lovely as the old ones.

Anyway, this was a fantastic article and I loved it, but I have a *minor correction* to make and I hope the author reads this: Iori's father (Cody's father) was a police officer and he was killed in the line of duty. He wasn't killed in a car accident.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Life-long Digimon fan here since '99. Though I try to distance myself from the edited dub that this article is referencing. If I had only thought of Digimon as a script full of bad puns I would have lost interest a long time ago. I'm always surprised when people in their 20s like it and still have only seen the Saban version. Even when I was a kid, I always separated Pokemon and Digimon as two different entities. They are just so different, I see them as incomparable. ALL that being said, the Saban dub IS what got me into Digimon and I have respect for them for that, at least for the nostalgia. Btw I just noticed, the article never mentioned Mamoru Hosoda?? Tsk tsk. Razz
There was a time when I did compare the two though, and that was when Digimon first came out. When it first aired in America, I was already watching Pokemon so I dismissed it as a rip-off. It only took watching one episode to realize how wrong I was though. Does anyone remember there was actually a Pokemon vs Digimon magazine?? I still have mine somewhere, those were the days. But anyway, the last time I played a new Pokemon game was when I was 11 with Gold. And I pretty much completely lost interest after the 5th season when Misty/Kasumi left. Side note that I prefer Pokemon dubbed even though I know that was edited too. I like the Nintendo names better and the dub just doesn't take away much from the general feel imo. Though I'm not huge on Pokemon so I'm not the best judge.
Also, it has been 16 years since the Digimon anime's debut in America and 18 years since the V-pet's debut in Japan. Tri is part of the 15 year celebration but that started last year. I'm guessing you were just rounding but I thought I'd point it out anyway.
Actually I could go on and on about this topic. In the end, while the dub frustrates me, I know we wouldn't even be talking about these shows without them. So in that spirit, now the adventure digivolves. Wink
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
So... I just watched Digimon on Netflix for the first time a few months ago. I stopped after a few episodes of Frontier (no Netflix and I feel kind of guilty watching on fan-run sites, so I'm just gonna save up for the DVD). My opinion?

Digimon Frontier's dub is on Hulu for free(with ads, of course) and has been on Hulu for a very a long time, just FYI. Unless you were talking about the Japanese version, which would be weird because Netflix removed it on August 1st(there's no way they could have known how important that day is franchise-wise, but it really stung). I guess I should also point out Frontier has never been officially subbed anywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Digimon Streaming as of 11.14.15:

Digimon Adventure:
-ENG: Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Amazon (1 / 2) (Pay-Per-Episode)
-JPN: N/A

Digimon Adventure Zero Two:
-JPN: N/A (Somewhere between now and August, FUNimation got rid of their stream. The subtitles were kind of a mess, but it was at least legal. Wow)

Digimon Tamers:

Digimon Frontier:
-ENG: Hulu, Crunchyroll, Amazon (Pay-Per-Episode)

Digimon Savers:
-ENG: Amazon (1 / 2) (Pay-Per-Episode)

Digimon Xros Wars:
-ENG: Netflix, Amazon (Pay-Per-Episode), Nicktoons
-JPN: Crunchyroll
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
So true, so ture. T.T My love for Digimon has only grew over the years, and I have watched all the TV shows, played a few of the games, and even tried to collect the cards (even though they seemed to disappear as quickly as they were released). Heck I even collected the toys! Digimon has been such a huge part of my childhood that I seriously can't wait for the movies now.

Also, Digimon has such a dark undertone (especially season 3) and deals with stuff that other kid shows just won't. And, Digimon is a kids show that has so much death in it T.T

Lastly, Agumon in a suit....how can you not love that!!
cannonfodder4000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
AquaVersus wrote:
cannonfodder4000 wrote:
God, the character design in the new one sucks so hard. They all have the same face. Ever heard of variety? the original show had that

What are you talking about? Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02 often struggled with "same face" syndrome, depending on who was animating each episode. Go back and check. It's clear as day. The new designs are just as lovely as the old ones.

Are you kidding? it's easy tell apart Tai's face from TK's face, or TK's face from Joe's face, for example

The old one even had different skin tones which the new one lacks
AquaVersus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
cannonfodder4000 wrote:
AquaVersus wrote:
cannonfodder4000 wrote:

Are you kidding? it's easy tell apart Tai's face from TK's face, or TK's face from Joe's face, for example

The old one even had different skin tones which the new one lacks

1) Look harder: http://i.imgur.com/jiwhxd5.jpg

2) The new one DOES have skin tones. Watch the trailers. Are you even paying attention?

3) The actual animation/art style in the movies is different from the style we've been seeing in the posters. Atsuya Uki did the character designs and those posters/marketing artwork. The animators for the movie are using his designs but are obviously adding their own styles. The characters' faces are all very distinguishable in the animation itself.

You're being willfully ignorant.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Digimon Streaming as of 11.14.15:

Digimon Adventure:

Digimon Adventure Zero Two:
-JPN: N/A (Somewhere between now and August, FUNimation got rid of their stream. The subtitles were kind of a mess, but it was at least legal. Wow)

Digimon Tamers:

Digimon Frontier:

Digimon Savers:

This is sad. The original version deserves more attention.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
So... after seeing the Japanese version of Digimon Adventure, I have to say that the dub is one of those dubs that's passable if you've never heard the Japanese version. It's like how someone on this site pointed out that the best episode of Ghost Stories is genuinely good in Japanese, but the dub dropped the ball there. If you watch the Japanese version once, you may very well fall out of love with the dub.

I already love the soundtrack to the Japanese Digimon way more. The American version had no idea how to use music to enhance emotion, but my god did they know how to throw music in there regardless of context.

Compare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJvpOrzcGbI

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1uH4BnswKQ

I love Japanese insert songs, so I kind of wish I grew up watching fansubbed Digimon now. Too bad for me.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I already love the soundtrack to the Japanese Digimon way more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1uH4BnswKQ

I love Japanese insert songs, so I kind of wish I grew up watching fansubbed Digimon now. Too bad for me.

Unfortunately I missed Animelo Summer Live 2014 and a live performance of Butter-Fly by Kouji Wada, but I did catch a very good cover by Hironobu Kageyama (JAM Project) and May'n at Animelo Summer Live 2011.

I really don't go for the music being changed for English language versions, unless the same artist can do it:

Isao Sasaki sings the Galaxy Express 999 series OP in English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iAZXTdJNCM

Godiego perform the Galaxy Express 999 movie ED in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW0yrDTvmNc
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Have you seen and are you interested in writing about Digimon Tamers? Although I liked the original series (and basically agree with everything you wrote), I think the 3rd was best.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Have you seen and are you interested in writing about Digimon Tamers? Although I liked the original series (and basically agree with everything you wrote), I think the 3rd was best.

Same bro. Maybe they'll do an ANN cast on Tamers. While I may have only rated it "very good," I feel that it's the best a kids show can be (unless you consider Princess Tutu a kids anime).
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
I saw 02 and loved it. In fact this article made me so nostalgic that I feel like going back and watching everything over again. Digimon as much as Pokemon played into my childhood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remiell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
I loved Digimon (season 1) so much. It was such a great adventure to follow. I also liked Pokemon, before I understood that there would be no end to it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
A few months ago, I finished the first series of Pokemon (up to the end of Johto) and a friend and I just finished Digimon Adventure with Bokura no War Game last weekend (and then watched Summer Wars today for comparison lols). Japanese dub on both. They're both really fresh in my mind.

Of course, Pokemon got better writing as time went on, but it had a ton of fillers. It was an enjoyable distraction. At least XY/XYZ has great enough writing now that it has my full attention when I watch.

But Digimon. This is my second time watching the Japanese dub of the first season and my friend and I will be watching the second season and films soon, which will be my second time there, too. It still feels completely fresh. Animation sucked, but the show itself is just... great. It was extremely character-based, with a standard good vs. evil plot to allow the characters to grow as individuals and as a team. I loved every moment and felt emotional, once again, at the many deaths and the ending.

Having seen the English of the first three series when I was younger and having watched the first three series in Japanese just a few years ago (minus finishing Tamers, to my own dismay--I just got too busy and left the episodes back home, so I decided to rewatch it later on), I enjoyed Zero Two a lot. When I was younger, it had the biggest emotional impact on me ever (it is my favorite season, though I recognize its eternal flaws that make some people dislike it). I can't wait to start it again.

I'm in Japan, so I'll probably end up watching the Tri film in theaters before my friend and I finish Zero Two, but since Zero Two is less relevant, I think it'll be fine.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
Well as long as neither Mimi nor Sora end looking like this:

Or this:

I am ok with it, with Angewomon and Rosemon we already have plenty of fanservice, plus there are other factors i am worried about with the franchise going in this direction...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5