• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Always Manage to Spoil the Endings for Myself

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This is becoming a chronic problem: I can't seem to resist looking up upcoming episode summaries for shows I'm watching, eventually reading the ending of the show after only watching episodes 1 & 2. I can't help but think that this might be ruining shows for me; then again, maybe it's preparing me for shocks to come? Mad

Your thoughts welcome,
Rainbow
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Easy. Don't let that kind of crap bother you. Sometimes, I'd just jump straight for the ending without regard. Razz Laughing

And besides...

rainbowcourage wrote:
I can't seem to resist looking up upcoming episode summaries

It's just text. With Final Fantasy 7 --- I learned about Aerith a good FOUR full years before I ever started playing the game. Naturally, by that time, I knew what her "ultimate fate" would be. However, I did not know when the big event would happen; and I played her character (and the rest of the game) normally.

Now, if spoilers bother you that much -- y'should be reading episode summaries until y'watch them anyways. Razz Razz
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
This happens to me from time-to-time (in my own way), be it a total accident or sheer impatience. Most of the time, it comes from trying to dig up some additional insight on a character from a show I'm currently watching, only to blow open a major spoiler. Spoilage due to impatience... Heh, I can't help it; I just had to know Razz. Seriously, the buzz over Higurashi got me curious, and I dug way too much info for a show I had never seen. Anyways, in either case, it's still kind of fun to see how the spoiled pieces fit the puzzle.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, I must say I'm quite the opposite. I enjoy being surprised the most and not being able to predict what's going to happen-the build up towards the ending is probably the best part. I'm always cautious about reading through forums about animes that have long finished, but I still haven't seen myself. I've discovered it to be a much more satisfying experience to stumble upon the endings and reflect, rather than go into it knowing it and saying "Yep. Knew that was gonna happen".
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I do that a lot to so your not the only one. I read what the ending to Eureka Seven was a long time before I watched it. And the thing is when I did watch the ending it didn't ruin the moment for me. If anything it made the moment even more exciting because I wanted to see it.
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Here's a simple solution, don't read episode summaries.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
so what exactly are you looking for here? If its sympathy, dont expect to find it if youre going and intentionally reading spoilers of what happens.

I dont really see why on earth someone would want to find out whats gonna happen before they see it. Half of the enjoyment of a story is seeing how it happens.
banas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
It's really hard to control yourself if the anime is very beautiful but look at it this way: as long as you read summaries and reviews, you won't have any reason to continue watching. It'll be boring then. And surprises are sometimes good.The twists you encounter in the story make the story more interesting, and you'll also find some scenes where the characters are really adorable or cute or funny to look at. Also, their are some enjoyable scenes in the series that would never be listed in summaries. That is the worst disadvantage of reading summaries: once you read it, you think you know the story, but minor details that do not look fit to be written in those summaries are often the best to watch. Now, you wouldn't want to miss that, would you?
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
I know what you mean. When I watch a series that's a bit too complex (compared to everything else I'm watching/I've watched) I do a google/wikipedia search. I also do that when I watch a particular episode and no matter how much I watch it, I still don't get it. I don't like super spoilers though, like the type that says "he's so-and-so's long lost brother!" or "he dies on episode 25!"

NGE1113 wrote:
Seriously, the buzz over Higurashi got me curious, and I dug way too much info for a show I had never seen. Anyways, in either case, it's still kind of fun to see how the spoiled pieces fit the puzzle.

I did the same for Higurasho too, except I was already watching it when I asked some Higurashi fans for info. I also read it's entry on Wikipedia.

Anyway, even when I accidentally read spoilers I still get shocked. I was shocked when spoiler[Euphie died ]in Code Geass, even if I already knew that after seeing it in the Code Geass thread here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote
While I don't actively search out reviews for upcoming dvd releases I can't seem to not read them if I find them. I also have a HORRIBLE habit of reading freaking spoilers here. I know it's something I don't wanna know, but yet I highlight the damn text anyway. Why?! What is wrong with me lol? I love being surprised but yet when I see people talking about a series I feel this compulsion to look in and see what's going on. I've ruined quite a few good surprises in series and many endings. I get annoyed at myself then I see another spoiler and before you can say by the power of Grey Skull I'm reading it and stabbing myself in the eye for doing it.
banas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
While I don't actively search out reviews for upcoming dvd releases I can't seem to not read them if I find them. I also have a HORRIBLE habit of reading freaking spoilers here. I know it's something I don't wanna know, but yet I highlight the damn text anyway. Why?! What is wrong with me lol? I love being surprised but yet when I see people talking about a series I feel this compulsion to look in and see what's going on. I've ruined quite a few good surprises in series and many endings. I get annoyed at myself then I see another spoiler and before you can say by the power of Grey Skull I'm reading it and stabbing myself in the eye for doing it.

Since you're always aware whenever you do it, try this method:
Everytime you read a review of the series you want to watch, give a reliable person [preferably your friend] a hundred bucks. In the end you'll stop doing it because you'll lose money. And if it does help you, you could always get the money from your friend, provided you tell him/her that you are supposed to get it...let's see... do that for a year. i don't guarantee effectiveness but the least you can do now is control yourself- which you can't- so try other methods.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
You just need a little restraint. Razz

The ending of Cowboy Bebop was ruined for me by an overzealous reviewer, so I rarely read reviews or episode summaries for any series that I'm following anymore as I hate reading spoilers for shows; I highly doubt I'd enjoy a series such as Scrapped Princess or GitS:SAC if I knew what was gonna happen next.
There are exceptions though; I spoiled Mai-HiME for myself by reading a load of ShizNat-related fanfiction way before the series had ended, but I still enjoyed the series immensely when I finally saw it all.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
I learned the Aerith thing by looking at the FMVs on the disc before I got that far. Ugh. Some of the other spoilers I've received over the years have been bad, like knowing what happens in a certain single-digit numbered episode of Gurren-Lagann, or the end of Cowboy Bebop, but I don't get angry or let it ruin the show. After all, as good as the first time through a series is, a second time is usually much, much better.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't think rainbowcourage is looking for sympathy or anything particularly clingy like that, it's not like he or she is SHOUTING [<<demonstration] or crying or bombarding emoticons [ Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad ... etc.] anything like that. So for some of the people here may be you should tone down the attitude a little?

As for me I usually got myself ruined too. Laughing It's those damn spoiler tags. You know they're there to protect you but like the curious person you are you have to "show" the text up just to see what the person has to say and you end up ruining just about every show that ever were discussed around these forums. Confused

No hard feelings though. It's usually my own fault. And I end up enjoying them anyway even if some of the "surprise" and "wow" factor has been removed.

And I've been getting better at controlling myself anyway lol. Trial by fire so to speak.

Now if it's outside of the spoiler tags, without warnings, or by an idiot of a reviewer -- one of ANN's reviews' good qualities is that the reviewers apparently try their best not to spoil the show for its readers, a few other websites aren't as well controlled -- I will be angry. I know it's hard expecting this easy-to-do common courtesy on an internet where most people don't even bother to type properly, but you know.

Or heck, the worst is probably a wiki spoiler. There's the "spoiler starts here" and "spoiler ends here" tag and nobody ever use it for the anime articles. I surf the Hayate character list article just to waste time and people put like, the biggest character spoiler ever for the fan-favorite Hinagiku, describing the key event of her past in ****ing detail -- which was neither in the official English release nor the scanlations yet, meaning raw readers only know about the stuff -- on it. Not cool. There's minor spoiler and there's "she has this big event in her past and I'm about to tell the whole shebang to you hahahahaha."
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I come across as mean, but Im just not sure what the OP is looking for here. Theyre not talking about accidentally reading spoilers in reviews or forums. They're saying: I keep intentionally reading summaries of Anime and ruining them for myself. Your thoughs? To that my response is gonna be: "why on earth would you do that? Show a little self-restraint."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2