• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Saved You a Kleck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I am really looking forward to getting Gundam Wing on blu-ray! Best one imo.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Shawne, any chance TRSI might add 1-2 of her in your figurine ensemble for that discriminating collector? One Japanese vendor has her listed for $5216.99 USD complete with free shipping, a probable custom's tariff surcharge, and a generous?? 1% kickback on future merchandise purchases.

This 1:1 size figurine of Rei Ayanami measures 160 cm (63") and is decked out in a form-fitting plugsuit. Supervised directly by Evangelion’s character designer, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, and the company GAINAX itself, each of these high-quality figures is handcrafted by professional sculptor Akiyama Kobo, who painstakingly recreates each curve and line of Ayanami’s fine figure to create a lifelike 1:1 scale model.

Possible scenario: offer to have her arrive at the buyer's humble abode or even your distribution center in Iowa (for resale) complete with 2 attractive hostess representatives from, say, Japan Air, DHL, UPS, EMS, or whichever competing freight forwarder. Have them arrive at the front step in a stretch limo congratulating "Yours Truly" or who(m)ever with sake and appropo wrapped bento boxes in tow. Would this not represent a goodwill gesture toward conducive international relations honoring psuedo-otaku buyers? I know THAT would make a favorable impression on me, LOL.

Do you think these type gestures would spur sales of higher end figurines from a flyover state like Iowa? You wouldn't have to sing karaoke to the collector(s) or buyers anymore; just whip out that credit card and hire limousines and limo drivers to wine & dine them at Trostel's restaurant over in Johnston. (I know I'd go.)
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Hearing Mr. Kleckner talk about mining for shows made me realize that the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou ova has never been licensed outside of Japan (at least as far as I am aware). Please someone, pick this one up. Or at least the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised there was no talk about the PonyCan releases or how those were doing
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
I was not happy to find out that one of their policy changes included pre-charging my credit card the whole amount "to make sure the money was there" and then charging it again for the same amount when my order shipped. I was told by customer service "you should get the extra charges backed off in 3-5 business days." Really? So if I make a $125 order, they'll charge me $250 before they even ship and then I'll have to wait "3-5 business days" to get the extra $125 back. Sounds like I need to find a new place to shop.

There is a difference between an authorization and a charge, but I'm not going to go into that here.

While we did have a pre-authorization set up for the full amount of the order at the beginning of our switchover, it is no longer the case. Now there is a preauthorization for $1 which drops off in about a day. That's it. Your card is not charged until the product actually ships.

I realize that the pre-auth for the full amount was an issue. About 2 weeks in we were able to make the change to move the preauthorization to $1 instead of the full amount.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
On releasing old stuff:

There's plenty of great stuff that hasn't been released here that has blu ray remasters in Japan. Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, Kimagure Orange Road (doesn't have blu ray i know)Creamy Mami, Gunbuster, El Hazard, Giant Robo, Cute Honey (new & re:), Lodoss War, Ah my Goddess, the Big O & Yu Yu Hakusho just to name a few.

FUNimation released all of Yu Yu Hakusho on Blu-ray back in 2011 using those same masters.

Big O was rescued by Sentai back in 2013 and they haven't done anything with it yet for the same reason that FUNi hasn't done anything with Escaflowne, Code Geass & others which is because of issues with Sunrise.

Creamy Mami's Blu-ray release was a full upscale and an awful one too so any rescue of that would probably be better if they try to get the Anime Sols masters (though the OVAs would probably be a problem quality-wise).

Gunbuster might still have the problem of getting that Chariots Of Fire song cleared so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason why it has yet to get rescued again.

As for Cutie Honey, those are more likely to be Discotek pickups but that would depend on if the 70s show sold well enough for them. I personally would like to see them get the 97 show, Cutie Honey Flash, though the OVAs would be nice too, especially if it means getting a better quality release of New.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Well, Persona 4 CE selling out at wholesale a week before the street date is certainly impressive. Sentai should be proud(NGNL also getting a reprint befoe street date is nice too).

Being able to sell it an actual reasonable price probably didn't hurt it's chances either.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Big O was rescued by Sentai back in 2013 and they haven't done anything with it yet for the same reason that FUNi hasn't done anything with Escaflowne, Code Geass & others which is because of issues with Sunrise.

Sadness Sad Thanks for letting me know though! God I've been waiting for Escaflowne forever ;___; was one of my favorite series ever.
Quote:
As for Cutie Honey, those are more likely to be Discotek pickups but that would depend on if the 70s show sold well enough for them.

That would kind of be dumb logic. The 70s show is probably the least marketable due to its age Sad Oh well. The New Cutie Honey and Re: Cutie Honey blu rays are friggen gorgeous *A* I guess I can always dream.

Thanks for letting me know about the situations with the other shows tho! Had no idea YYH was even out O_o Really more than anything I want Urusei Yatsura & Maison Ikkoku... I'm hoping once Viz gets Ranma out the door they'll start on one of those. Beautiful Dreamer is my fave anime movie ever and I'd pay tons of money for a blu ray with the old dub on it
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
^I agree about Re:, haven't seen how New looks but seeing as that was released before Toei started upscaling everything for the worst, it wouldn't surprise me if it did look just as nice.
Renshenzu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wait! Where is this article about all of Gundam? How did I miss that?

Here you go: animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461
David5807

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Great episode as always guys!
Buster D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Big O was rescued by Sentai back in 2013 and they haven't done anything with it yet

The Big O BDs in Japan are also upscales, but at least they're not smeary ones AFAIK.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
@ willag
The subs for the Warner Jojo's aren't just dubtitles: they're actual closed captions for the hearing impaired, complete with sound effects in square brackets, etc., plus a horrible font. It's completely distracting, unwatchable, and a disgrace.
Nice show.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
That would kind of be dumb logic. The 70s show is probably the least marketable due to its age Sad Oh well. The New Cutie Honey and Re: Cutie Honey blu rays are friggen gorgeous *A* I guess I can always dream.

I own that Discotek release of the original Cutey Honey and I can tell you it is way more interesting to watch than New Cutey Honey (which I think is the worst of all the Cutie Honey related things).

Discotek has been mining the Go Nagai back catalogue and also released the original Mazinger Z and Devilman so they are probably trying to mine the same customers as those with Cutey Honey. I really do hope they get around to release RE: Cutie Honey since I think that is one of the best Cutie Honey related things and it is a huge shame it never got a DVD release here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me why Kill al Kill anime is being sold as three separate DVD sets since it's only 24-26 episodes. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4