• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
i wanted those little kids to die so badly.

annoying little shits.

Better off just watching seed, the first half is a near shot for shot remake of it.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It's a real classic. Everybody should watch the full TV series at least once.

Everyone should watch the movie trilogy at least once. The tv series is incomplete, meandering with no idea of what it's central story concept is and irrelevant and non canon (according to Sunrise). It is to be watched only if you're a Gundam completist. Otherwise the movie trilogy gives you the whole complete picture, is better animated and makes much more sense. It's basically a redesigned tv series without the filler episodes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately the 16mm masters are all that exist, so the somewhat overactive DNR used on 16mm sources means the drawings are certainly smoother than they once were, but a little fuzzier and less preserved than it could have been.

That seems to be a recurring problem with a lot of these old 16 mm shows and I found that in some cases, like for Galaxy Express or Saint Seiya, I actually prefer the old DVDs to the current blurays. Sure, the new transfer may look a great deal sharper, but a lot of detail in the drawings just get lost. Seems like mostly only the TMS shows which were done in 35 mm like Cobra are worth the update.

It's honestly more of a post-production tampering issue, because there's no reason 16mm can't look its absolute best, you can use Urusei Yatsura for that example. It's grainy as hell, but any and all possibly detail is going to be there, and it's a 1981 series so it fits right into the same period as Gundam or Cobra or GE999. Your grainy image won't be as fine as something like Outlaw Star, but there's no reason they should be scrubbing things down to make it look plasticy and soft.
shawnek wrote:
Tomino does not feel that way.

In all honesty, Tomino's done a whole lot goddamn worse than episode 15 in his career. He has ENTIRE SERIES he should feel more embarrassed over. How about blocking people from seeing Brain Powerd?

I haven't seen Zambot or Daitarn yet, but I think the basic idea was Tomino elevating and progressing the depth that these robot shows were going through during the later 70s, and then immediately following it up with Ideon, and then going into left field with Dunbine and L-Gaim in the early 80s before going really hardcore with Zeta. The odd thing about "real robot" is that it didn't totally pick up immediately, unless you want to count Ideon. It took probably until Dougram in 81 or Macross in 82 and then really with VOTOMS, Orguss, and Dorvack all in 83 to cement the idea of non-magical down and dirty machine combat. Still, didn't mean super robot didn't die, they kept making the same stuff for at least another 5 years after Gundam, with very little change in format.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everyone should watch the movie trilogy at least once. The tv series is incomplete, meandering with no idea of what it's central story concept is and irrelevant and non canon (according to Sunrise).

What do you mean incomplete? Both the movie and tv series follow the exact same story down to the same ending.
noigeL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Soundwise, it's everything you might expect from an original 1979 Japanese recording and early '00s English dub—poor audio quality on the Japanese side, and exaggerated acting on the English.

Are we really going to sit here and pretend the Japanese acting isn't also incredibly cheesy and overblown? ^^;;
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

and non canon (according to Sunrise). It is to be watched only if you're a Gundam completist.

Whoa, I didn't know it was bad enough for Sunrise to wipe it from canon (if that is true). Still, wouldn't surprise me considering how rough and sloppy the original TV show is.

Anyway, the original Gundam is indeed an important and influential title for not only anime, but media in general. And unfortunately it has not aged well. In fact, Tomino in general hasn't aged well, with most of his series being very uneven at best. He has interesting ideas, but I always found him lacking in execution. Dunbine, Turn A, Reconguista in G, etc are all highly flawed and in desperate need of another creative mind to focus in on the interesting bits. Just another example of a guy who was very influential, but then a lot of successors completely surpassed him. One for the history books, but whether it's entertaining is another question altogether.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid "missing an episode" is a deal-breaker for me, and probably for many others. I hope Tomino is informed of this, for he doesn't seem to understand the American market very well.
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
Mobile Suit Gundam is indeed an essential watch to anyone with more than passing interest in mecha series or just the history of anime in general and is one of the only two series that everyone in Gundam fandam agrees is good (the other being 0080: War in a Pocket).

That being said, I always found the claim that it's morally ambiguous in it's depictions of it's sides to be over-exaggerated. Yes, Zeon has a fair amout of decent honorble men as soldiers in their forces but they still serve a fascist genocidal dictatorship that was responsible for nearly all the atrocities comitted during the One Year War (Gundam the Origin gives concrete proof that the Zabi family and their lackeys never really gave a damn about Spacenoid independence and were really after the subjugation of humanity under their rule.) while the Earth Federation's only really crimes in MSG (not counting later stuff like 0083 and Zeta or retcons like Unicorn) is that they suffer from bureaucratic incompetence and and the slowness of taking the initiative on things that really need it. So your average modern democracy vs the Axis Powers of World War II in Space.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Everyone should watch the movie trilogy at least once. The tv series is incomplete, meandering with no idea of what it's central story concept is and irrelevant and non canon (according to Sunrise). It is to be watched only if you're a Gundam completist. Otherwise the movie trilogy gives you the whole complete picture, is better animated and makes much more sense. It's basically a redesigned tv series without the filler episodes.

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. The only view on canon sunrise has is "Only filmed works are official" that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
I don't know why the part 1 cover shows one of the final battles. But whatever, its pretty.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I don't know why the part 1 cover shows one of the final battles. But whatever, its pretty.

I think its because they were trying to use the new art from the BD box but I agree it is kind of strange.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The TV series deserves a full view from every anime fan. The movies deserve many more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
The fact that the set is missing the 'real' episode 15 is not a dealbreaker for me. I have watched the episode and I thought it was boring and unnecessary. I can understand why it's a dealbreaker for others but honestly I don't think I want to see that episode again anyway.

I'm still trying to decide whether I'm getting the US or UK sets...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
I don´t know what you guys are talking about but the TV version of 0079 is hard cannon.
A lot of details from the highly changed novel triology that concern the war but dind´t show up in the show have been turned canon later too.
The omission of ep. 15 is apparently due to the low animation quality (it´s an alright ep. and better than most from ZZ) but i don´t remember it in The Origin manga either.
I don´t remember a lot of things though... The movie triology is well done (dat animation increase) but it can´t quite measure up to the TV show in the end. Most of the missing parts are needed to get the whole picture as the show was about a journey after all and that feeling was missing in the abridged form. The slow pacing puts the show into it´s time period too and it was blazing fast when compared to most what the 70s had offer. Good TV anime started to come out in the second half of the 70s if you ask me but good movies existed a bit before that already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
If you think UC0079 looks bad, then wait till you see this

On a more serious note, why does First Gundam get pointed at for having crude animation when it's

a) a late 70's anime
b) very few, if any, 70's and 80's anime look good and hold up well today

Other shows from that time get free passes for being dated and I don't think First Gundam can look any better even if you upscale it to 4K. It's reached it's highest possible viewing quality, in fact, I think 1080p might be overkill and not looking any better than if it was 720p.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4