• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Aims to Eventually Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see Netflix jumping in. I guess that means their anime streaming has been lucrative. They have more resources than Funi and CR, and are better able to reach a wide audience (ie; anime, casual, and non-anime fans).

My assumption was that they'd be putting money down and sitting on the committee, not that it'd be an American production with anime-esque characteristics. After all, they are expanding into Asia. I'm curious to see what ventures they go after. Unless the late night otaku market flocks to Netflix, I'd think they would go for series with high general appeal. We could see some cool projects from this.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
For all those arguing that anime is solely Japanese--what about co-productions? Not that it matters, it's all animated in Korea, anyway Laughing

Except for Fox's Animation Domination Block-they do that in house. Exceptions to every rule and all that.

I feel that it's too early to speculate about where potential Netflix produced anime is headed, but have they been involved in any international productions yet?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
In a way, I sorta saw this coming. The exclusive streaming rights for Sidonia were a sign that there's a (or is a) sizable anime viewership on Netflix. I'll be really curious as what kind of projects we'll see.

Chickenpotatoes wrote:
...The medium is meant to be an entertainment vehicle from a Japanese viewpoint together with it's culture, or a Japanese spin on things. It has no obligation to animate other cultures or country's shit. If you don't like it, stick to other cartoons. Stop insisting anime should conform to your tastes.

Hilarious overreaction. Apparently, any anime that isn't a high school romance, slice of life, or has cute girls is clearly other "country's shit" and totally not-Japanese.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It's possible it'll be like a Ghost in the Shell, IGPX, Big O Season 2, and Kurokami situation where a US company pitches in funds, and maybe some creative involvement, but the final product is still a Japanese anime.

This is what I'm hoping for, too. Netflix or any American company just provides funding and maybe some general guidelines but the Japanese studio still has a lot of creative freedom. I think Big O season 2 is good example.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
For all those arguing that anime is solely Japanese--what about co-productions? Not that it matters, it's all animated in Korea, anyway Laughing

Believe me. Their argument has always been full of holes with attempts to patch things up with various excuses -- like "cultural value". Man, sounds like the stupid Sub vs Dub argument all over again.

TarsTarkas wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:

The "anime from Japan only" thing has and always been DOOMED to be obliterated. If there's one thing humans like to do, it is to destroy "barriers" -- assuming that it is economically viable.

ANN has already stated what anime is. It is animation from Japan. I've watched Avatar and I like it, but it isn't animation from Japan.

While ANN is counted as a reputable source for anime related news -- ANN is not the sole definer of words used in the Internet. ANN could very well change the text of this news article to something like: "Netflix seeks to produce emulated anime" or something to that effect. As a news source, ANN has to take the news as is or lose credibility in news reporting.

Like it or not -- Netflix explicitly declared the company's intention to actually produce anime. Neither you, me, or this site has the right to deny that. Whether Netflix succeeds or fails in this endeavor will be yet to be seen.

Finally, like I've said many years ago, this market drift regarding anime production within US borders is and has always been inevitable. It took a while, but it's only just starting. I suggest people like you need to come to terms with that. Cool
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
ANN has already stated what anime is. It is animation from Japan. I've watched Avatar and I like it, but it isn't animation from Japan.

By this definition, if Netflix buys a building in Japan and staffs it with American employees, then the animation produced from that building is anime.

Let's add the often assumed--but unstated in your definition--criterion that anime must also be produced by Japanese people. By this narrower definition, if Netflix buys a building in Japan and staffs it with Japanese employees, then the animation produced from that building is anime.

Let's add another unstated criterion: That the studio must be Japanese. The location of a company is its place or business or incorporation, not the location of its principal shareholder. If Netflix incorporates a Japanese subsidiary, buys a building in Japan, and staffs with with Japanese employees, then the animation produced from that company is anime.

Nothing within the commonly accepted definition of anime prevents Netflix from producing anime.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
^I don't think TarsTarkas is arguing that it is 100% impossible for Netflix to produce anime. He was responding to KyuuA4 who was going in a completely different direction.

@KyuuA4
Out of sincere curiosity, in your opinion, what IS anime?

The argument that it is an art-style or aesthetic has already been killed, so what is it?
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Mr. Hastings, I did not know who you were until this point, but now I am going to add you to the list of interesting people to watch. i hope your endeavors in the Japanese market go as successfully as possible. Things seem to going very well on this side of the ocean, and hopefully we will seem more of what you can do to increase the interface between both sides very soon.

Also, looking forward to Ajin; super stoked.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The argument that it is an art-style or aesthetic has already been killed, so what is it?

Do you want the unspoken truth? The truth everybody knows but no one wants to say out loud, lest lightning strikes them in the spot? The truth is simple, anime is cool. Not kiddie stuff like phineas and ferb or sazae-san. For whatever reason other countries fail to do cool animations on a constant basis.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
This is similar to Netflix doing dramas. Dip their toe in, and if it's successful, do more. They dipped their toes with Sidonia and Sins, both are successful, so it's time to do more.

There's not too much else to it.
OceanwaveIII

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
There something structural about the nature of japanese entertainment that allows them to culturally produce something like Anime . And whatever cultural psychology at work seem very difficult for American emulate. I've tried to narrow it down mentally .

I’ll try to break it down

Between Surrealism and Realism

There a level of surrealism in japanese entertainment where it can go from very cartoony to a deep shift in tone and dark violent and brutal , Not just Japan i’ve seen this in Korea to ,but there right next door .Magical realist almost . .It seem to be tied to culture that have no issue taking fantastical or realistic concept and watching an animation about them that one level to it

American Entertainment Magical realism is despised in live action . While Western(Americans) the strict division haven’t gone way Live action (For anything complex and dogmatically realistic as possible to become true art or deem low-brow trash and any deviation from realism is seen as a failure of the art form ) restrict most cartoon to the very political correct and the very young . and if it manages to fit some realistic elements , into it we give it some conscending reward and go back to ignoring it . And Are adult cartoons are like that to.. the few that exist there either Completely zanzy satire ( Family guy etc ) or they have zero sense of humor or tone shift ( most DC movies animation most Marvel)

Culturally we constantly reference realism when making something or we completely ignore and go super cartoony/abstract. and don’t think the japanese do that or korean for that matter they don’t have argument if the anime is realistic or not or do they hold realism on a sacred alter (Seem to be more of an obsession of western or western anime fans)

,... . Anime tend to be somewhere in-between too extremes , Simple when it needs to be complex when the plot calls for it or shift in tone and style , still human enough to have sex appeal . They can blend seriousness with goofy comical and slapstick . Realism is just a style for them , Doesn't have the same religous social obligation found in American culture and Europe.

There been attempts at American “Anime”er that are heavily subdized by korea and japan cultural to the point of parody . stuff like Avatar literally wouldn't exist without them along with ben heavily inspired by western perspective on East asian mythology and cultural and still failed to sale in japan .. So yeah I have to agree but the purist are right ,Avatar doesn’t count for one thing it wouldn’t exist without the animator in korea who work on anime regular along with Japan who animated part of the series , Along with the developer being huge anime fans it existence is dogmatically tied to Japan wither people admit or not.

So to say Japan is Not “Central “ to Anime creation or culture that share similar heritage with the japanese is eh a lie . It as Central as America is Central to the production hollywood film and hollywood plots ...But I bet the British could make hollywood like movie given the shared movie hertiage. Just because disney had some influence in japan a very long time ago doesn't mean modern disney is has any effect on there production of anime .

Think it would be better to say Anime is a East Asian Regional product heavily tied to Japan and culture that share some similar hertiages but not completely a isolated product of japan seperate from the region .
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@KyuuA4
Out of sincere curiosity, in your opinion, what IS anime?

I'll save you and me some time with the short answer:

If it looks like anime, then it IS anime.

relyat08 wrote:

Unfortunately, you forced me to respond even more. Quite frankly, this is nothing different, than what I've said in the past.

It's dead on this site, because this site made the political decision to reject it. If ANN wishes, then ANN can completely flip on that decision. I don't see that happening though.

Despite of what you think, the argument actually managed to expand thanks to RWBY, as more people like me question the Japan only doctrine. All logic argues this doctrine as "unsustainable".

The sickest part of this argument: People fail to realize one important facet to English words. Words CAN and DO more than often take on more than one definition.

For example, the word "Round" has many definitions. I leave it to you to think about that one.

This is not LAW we're talking about. We're talking about how people can perceive the word "anime". It's not as static as you think. In fact, the term itself evolved in the early years; and it's evolving now.

For the record, I don't suggest to reject this "Japan only doctrine". Even I recognize it. If there's one thing Japan is exceptionally good at, it's making anime. However, it is not a water tight definition; and the "style" definition is simply a part of it.

From what I've seen, Wikitionary handles this topic very elegantly:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anime
Very simple and covers all bases.

Why can't you people accept that? Is it that difficult to do?

Finally, regarding Netflix. It is a business and really doesn't care all that much about this argument. They're looking to make money; and in their minds, the production of anime is one way to do that. Nothing can stop the company from doing that, other than not producing a profit. Your worst case scenario involves Netflix succeeding; and some other American company (or studio) looking to do the same thing.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
If it looks like anime, then it IS anime.

No. The reason that that argument has been killed, as I stated in my previous post, is because there are so many different visual styles within anime that it isn't a valid stance at all. Nearly all animation ever produced looks like an anime that has been made at some point. It is, frankly, insulting to the creators of that content to lump it all in as a "style".

I was kind of hoping you would have a legitimate position on what makes anime anime... Rolling Eyes
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
#847152 wrote:
There something structural about the nature of japanese entertainment that allows them to culturally produce something like Anime . And whatever cultural psychology at work seem very difficult for American emulate. I've tried to narrow it down mentally .

I’ll try to break it down

Between Surrealism and Realism

There a level of surrealism in japanese entertainment where it can go from very cartoony to a deep shift in tone and dark violent and brutal , Not just Japan i’ve seen this in Korea to ,but there right next door .Magical realist almost . .It seem to be tied to culture that have no issue taking fantastical or realistic concept and watching an animation about them that one level to it

I really like this definition, it captures a certain zeitgeist that is common in anime. But the first American cartoon that came to mind that perfectly fits your description...

Quote:
There been attempts at American “Anime”er that are heavily subdized by korea and japan cultural to the point of parody . stuff like Avatar literally wouldn't exist without them along with ben heavily inspired by western perspective on East asian mythology and cultural and still failed to sale in japan .. So yeah I have to agree but the purist are right ,Avatar doesn’t count for one thing it wouldn’t exist without the animator in korea who work on anime regular along with Japan who animated part of the series , Along with the developer being huge anime fans it existence is dogmatically tied to Japan wither people admit or not.

You immediately dismiss as "not counting" despite the fact that it was partially developed and fully animated in South Korea. So color me confused.

Quote:
So to say Japan is Not “Central “ to Anime creation or culture that share similar heritage with the japanese is eh a lie . It as Central as America is Central to the production hollywood film and hollywood plots ...But I bet the British could make hollywood like movie given the shared movie hertiage. Just because disney had some influence in japan a very long time ago doesn't mean modern disney is has any effect on there production of anime .

I think its more comparable to British contributions to fantasy, scifi, and even superhero comics. Let's focus on superhero comics for a bit, actually. That's a niche genre that's recognized around the world as an American product despite many writers and artists who aren't American. Where would American comics be without the "British Invasion" writers like Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison
, etc? And that's not even mentioning other writers and artists worldwide who contribute to a very American medium.

Quote:
Think it would be better to say Anime is a East Asian Regional product heavily tied to Japan and culture that share some similar hertiages but not completely a isolated product of japan seperate from the region .

Right now, I'd propose that anime be considered animation that at least 50% of which of the creative intent behind it is from Japan; whether it was intended for primarily a Japanese audience or not is irrelevant to my definition. But I can definitely see the value of other arguments (like that which would include Korean animated movies, or would even include anime-inspired shows like ATLA or RWBY).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08

That is just KyuuA4's personal definition of anime. He comes on here periodically to soap box on the subject.

@KyuuA4

The site's definition of anime as animation made in Japan is not political in any sense. It is a practical decision. The site is here for the purpose of discussing animation and comics made in Japan. The majority of the people using the site are here to find information about animation made in Japan. I suppose they could call it the "Japanese animation news network" but that is rather clunky. Instead they use the Japanese word for animation in the sense that is understood by the fandom as a whole.

You are perfectly free to use your own definition of the word. I just don't understand why you feel it necessary to bother us with it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, this site does review Korean comics and animation as well, and, especially with manwha, the difference is barely noted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7