• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Aims to Eventually Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
FUNimation, Crunchyroll and now Netflix are the new Oprahs to Japanese animation committees.

You get a show!
You get a show!
YOU GET A SHOW!!!!!

You forgot to end with "Everyone gets a new show!!!" Wink Will Dr Phil be giving psychiatric help to Netflix employees now heh?

Seriously though I share Alan's sentiment. To me this is becoming a situation of too many cooks in the kitchen in terms of streaming services. Let's assume Hulu stays in the mix and this does come to pass with Netflix. Now you have 4 sites you have to register on and pay to subscribe to. Funi, Crunchy, Hulu, and Netflix. Many fans subscribe to streaming services to watch content NOW, as opposed to waiting for physical releases like in the past, but many use streaming services because they cannot afford to purchase multiple shows each year in physical media form. So if you're going to make more of a headache to watch shows online and cost people more money to do so you're asking them to pirate shows once again in my opinion.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
So far, Netflix seems to have shown a liking for CG works. That's probably not really significant at all, but it's just the first thing that came to mind, when I saw this.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Best news on this topic. Laughing Laughing

Now this is a major US company declaring its own production as anime. What will the purists do now? So far, they've managed to get away with discarding Avatar and RWBY as anime.

The "anime from Japan only" thing has and always been DOOMED to be obliterated. If there's one thing humans like to do, it is to destroy "barriers" -- assuming that it is economically viable.

All in all, "American anime" is here to stay. Cool

Now, as far as Netflix is concerned, they should hire Japanese talent and mix them up with American talent. American animators won't learn a thing about producing anime (as opposed to cartoons) if they let Japanese talent do all the work. Eventually, this market evolution will be complete. Of course, their decisions will be completely up to them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Let's assume Hulu stays in the mix and this does come to pass with Netflix. Now you have 4 sites you have to register on and pay to subscribe to.

Not true unless you are part of the crowd that needs to view new shows on broadcast day. The only extra cost is for Netflix, but again, it will take them years to add a sizable catalog of mainstream-ish animes and with the amount of new series coming each season, you can still have your fill with the other three (or less).

As for having to register to four different sites, I do not know you, but to get my internet fix I have had to subscribe to a lot more sites than that, so I wont shed a tear for people denouncing they need to go thru the register procedure less times than I have fingers in a hand.

KyuuA4 wrote:
All in all, "American anime" is here to stay. Cool

I think the term "Outsourced american anime" would be more precise Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
More like a return to the 80s and 90s when Japanese studios animated shows like Jem and Tiny Toons where none of the writing or creative process was from Japan, so no none of that stuff really counts as anime. The Last Unicorn probably gets more of a pass out of this because Topcraft more or less became Ghibli.

For something like RWBY or Avatar, they're always either gonna be "anime-inspired" or have some other notifier.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Animated in America? Not if they want quality animation.

^Implying that North America can never do quality animation. Not everything Japan makes has quality animation, you know.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I like that Netflix will potentially bring more competition into the English anime streaming market. Maybe after this, both CR and FUNi will be more careful about how they let their employees use their company brand.

Just-another-face wrote:
^Implying that North America can never do quality animation. Not everything Japan makes has quality animation, you know.

In terms of quality, I'd rate American animation over anime, even though I haven't looked at an American cartoon in years, except for season 19 of South Park.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
In terms of quality, I'd rate American animation over anime, even though I haven't looked at an American cartoon in years, except for season 19 of South Park.

In terms of CG? Sure, America blows Japan away, with the exception of some like Square Enix Visual Works.

In terms of 2-D? I won't say America doesn't have the talent. It's just a very different aesthetic these days. No big budget theatrical stuff like Disney used to do. Rather most made for TV and outside of DC stuff, made for kids. And while I do like the DC stuff, I don't find the style as captivating even if its animation quality is better than that of many Japanese shows on a technical level.

But in terms of presentation & style I think Japan easily has the upper hand.

Anyway the topic is interesting, I will subscribe to Netflixx if they get more shows/movies made that fans may want, like new seasons of Spice/Wolf or a complete OVA remake of Claymore to adapt the manga, or get Otomo to make a Steamboy sequel. Stuf like that...

But we'll likely get more original shows instead, which could be a very good thing too.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Animated in America? Not if they want quality animation.

As jdnation said, in 3D animation pixar/disney have the upper hand (albeit they have yet to make something not cartoon like with said technology). But in 2D (which most anime is, even the 3D used attempts most of the time to have a 2D aesthetic) I can't simply make any worthwhile comparison, besides Total Drama Island most "american" animation is outsourced to Asia or even Europe. If they had to make an animation 100% drawn in the USA it would have the animation quality of Total Drama Island or Teen Titans Go! or (if they call in animators that used to do great things at Disney) it would be prohibitively costly.

But hey, if people really want to support american animation, they can pitch some dollars for Don Bluth's Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/donbluth/dragons-lair-the-movie
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Let's assume Hulu stays in the mix and this does come to pass with Netflix. Now you have 4 sites you have to register on and pay to subscribe to.

I'll pay my 30 something a month for Netflix, Hulu & Crunchyroll over paying over a hundred for cable TV; especially when I mostly want to watch animation. Netflix gotta stay competitive they've lost a lot of movies and series to Hulu lately.

jdnation wrote:
In terms of 2-D? I won't say America doesn't have the talent. It's just a very different aesthetic these days. No big budget theatrical stuff like Disney used to do.

I don't think it's a matter of talent. 2D animation doesn't sell here, so they don't do it. The last 2D Disney movies (Princess and the Frog, Winnie the Pooh) looked gorgeous. Everything's just made with more simple designs for TV so they can crank out new episodes faster.

Quote:
Anyway the topic is interesting, I will subscribe to Netflixx if they get more shows/movies made that fans may want, like new seasons of Spice/Wolf or a complete OVA remake of Claymore to adapt the manga, or get Otomo to make a Steamboy sequel.

I would legit freak out if we got a full Claymore remake in the vein of Hellsing Ultimate *A* More Steamboy on the other hand...... Hopefully this will be a new golden era of diversity and less the same Light Novel / Visual Novel bad writing regurgitated over and over and over again.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
And while I do like the DC stuff, I don't find the style as captivating even if its animation quality is better than that of many Japanese shows on a technical level.

But in terms of presentation & style I think Japan easily has the upper hand.

Well I don't agree with you there. Stuff like Justice League and Young Justice was a cut above the rest.

mangamuscle wrote:
But hey, if people really want to support american animation, they can pitch some dollars for Don Bluth's Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/donbluth/dragons-lair-the-movie

I already know about that project actually. I can, however, agree that cartoons today are done much more lazily than they used to make them simply because 2D animation has gotten stupidly expensive and because it has less of an audience with the current generation now than it did with our generation that grew up glued to the stuff back then.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

The "anime from Japan only" thing has and always been DOOMED to be obliterated. If there's one thing humans like to do, it is to destroy "barriers" -- assuming that it is economically viable.

ANN has already stated what anime is. It is animation from Japan. I've watched Avatar and I like it, but it isn't animation from Japan.

You are not destroying some barrier or wall. There are no Anime police that will take you down, like the Vegans.

You are free to call American animation anything you want, but it will still not make it animation from Japan.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Not true unless you are part of the crowd that needs to view new shows on broadcast day. The only extra cost is for Netflix, but again, it will take them years to add a sizable catalog of mainstream-ish animes and with the amount of new series coming each season, you can still have your fill with the other three (or less).

Unless I am mistaken you have to have Hulu's premium service to stream as well. Which for most is a make or break option. As is commercials vs no commercials. Plus supposedly Netflix is already planning to raise their prices next year to compensate for the multitude of people who share accounts. Wish I had saved the link to the article I read that on a while back.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Everything's just made with more simple designs for TV so they can crank out new episodes cheaper.

There corrected it for you.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Unless I am mistaken you have to have Hulu's premium service to stream as well.

If you mean non computer streaming, well, my ps3 is still inside its box, I watch all anime using a computer, so I have no idea if there is a demographic that have consoles/tablets/smartphones but no home computer and I assemble my computers from used parts (mostly), so it can be dirty cheap if you are dirty poor (like me).

Quote:
Which for most is a make or break option. As is commercials vs no commercials.

Still watch broadcast TV news programs, so commercials are killed by my thumb on the remote, at the PC there is alt-tab.

Quote:
Plus supposedly Netflix is already planning to raise their prices next year to compensate for the multitude of people who share accounts.

Haven't heard about that one, but if it is true it is an excuse just like when they raised the price of their DVD home delivery segment, they will continue raising prices as long as people do to cancel Anime hyper Since their competition still is cable (and not services like funi or crunchy) they will probably will get away with it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
It's possible it'll be like a Ghost in the Shell, IGPX, Big O Season 2, and Kurokami situation where a US company pitches in funds, and maybe some creative involvement, but the final product is still a Japanese anime. This is not the same as JEM, Transformers, GI Joe, and Tiny Toons where just the animation was done in Japan, or Teen Titans, Avatar, Korra, and Thundercats (reboot), which were clearly anime inspired, but still made for the US market.

With that said, I like the idea of anime being more international. Certain shows could be produced by US and Japanese (and maybe European) companies working together, with voice tracks and subtitles in multiple languages, all available at once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7