• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Aims to Eventually Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
More companies helping with anime the better but with all these primarily streaming companies trying to help produce anime and what is safe to assume hold exclusive rights to said anime as someone who refuses to watch an anime until I've bought the release and is a massive fan of physical media I hope all these companies have intent on releasing these hypothetical animes on physical media as well.

I know netflix has a dvd rental service but as far as I know they don't produce their own physical media right?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I think Netflix is making anime for Japanese first too capture Japanese subscriptions in Japan.

Maybe, but I do not think so. ATM Netflix strength in japan is in the bunch of foreign TV series/movies they can bring to japan. At most for their first year I do not think they plan to do more than one cour of anime per season, which is hardly enough to lure anyone into getting a subscription

Quote:
Funimation is almost about dvd/Blu-ray sales anyway

Not really, because Netflix no doubt will sell the disc sales rights to whoever wants them, but they will do at a higher price since they have made the series popular even among non fans. When Funi buys a series streaming/disc distribution rights, it is yet to be seen whether it will flop or become popular at all, so it is a better deal than buying those rights from Netflix.

DuchessBianca wrote:
I know netflix has a dvd rental service but as far as I know they don't produce their own physical media right?

No, but afaik all netflix exclusive series are released in discs (by other companies) later on.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
I'd even settle for their Disney connection getting the X-D dubbed Doraemon series. Very Happy

Especially considering the Doraemon dub is completely gone from Anime hyper's scheduling block, as I predicted. Disney is so damn allergic to having anime on their network. I'm sure Yo-Kai Watch will be removed in due time as well.

B-but...what happened to the news of BangZoom dubbing a second season? Shocked
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Funimation must be VERY nervous after this announcement, since if Netflix does their homework, they can get into the production committee of any guaranteed big hits with easy international appeal (as in, the story setting is not in Japan).

I think Netflix is making anime for Japanese first too capture Japanese subscriptions in Japan.

Funimation is almost about dvd/Blu-ray sales anyway

I agree with mangamuscle. Funimation cannot be delighted by this news because Netflix has a lot of money to outbid its N.A. anime competitors. I expect Funimation to want to be part of anime production committees in the near future, but they should be afraid if Netflix has the same idea.

And Funimation might have been all about DVD/BD sales in the past, but their streaming service and broadcast dubs show that they want to produce money from other avenues.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation, Crunchyroll and now Netflix are the new Oprahs to Japanese animation committees.

You get a show!
You get a show!
YOU GET A SHOW!!!!!
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm wary when Suits from Overseas announce they want to produce anime. Do they just want to make some money or are they going to try to steer the content's direction?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Everybody is going insane and assuming that Hastings literally meant they'd churn out something like Avatar. It seems pretty clear to me the closer intent is to invest in the Japanese companies to come up with great content. Obviously, there would be some quality control in how they pick and choose what type of show they want to get involved in(hint: IGPX, The Big O, Space Dandy, and Dimension W aren't moe) but Americans writing and animating something with an anime-flavor? I don't think that's on the table, at least not based on anything from the article.

I mentioned earlier in the thread about producing sequels; Knights of Sidonia seems like the most obvious candidate to do a test run on. That is, if Polygon Pictures doesn't decide to just do a third season all on its own.*

*(I haven't seen KoS. I know it's originally a manga from Blame!'s Nihei. Is there a lot of content there to produce more of the show?)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Obviously, there would be some quality control in how they pick and choose what type of show they want to get involved in(hint: IGPX, The Big O, Space Dandy, and Dimension W aren't moe)

I do not think moe is a concern (how can suits be concerned about something they do not understand or know that exists?). The obvious concern is about not selecting something that requires to know japanese culture to understand/appreciate, so no comedies, no school dramas, no historical japanese/samurai series. This eliminates most light novel fodder, but I can see some magical girls series with moe elements selected down the line.

Quote:
but Americans writing and animating something with an anime-flavor? I don't think that's on the table, at least not based on anything from the article.

Animated in America? Not if they want quality animation. As for selecting something written outside japan, I would not eliminate the possibility, even japanse anime producers now and then has selected novels/writers form outside their borders. My pitch continues to be Empowered by Adam Warren.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
This eliminates most light novel fodder, but I can see some magical girls series with moe elements selected down the line.

Down the line? Smile Precure is all set to go.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Perhaps they are hoping for a repeat of Afro Samurai?

I'm sure that and more Bebobesque stuff is exactly what they're gunning for. Anime producers tried that themselves in the early 00s and we got garbage like Licensed by Royal and Coyote Ragtime Show. Even Afro Samurai was mostly just notable for it's SamJack black samurai gimmick. Remove that and it's a dull product, more so.

The only solution that involves western interests as part of the production is to give studios heaps of money and no stipulations.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Awesome let`s do it!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:

No, they don't. (In fact, they don't produce many of their exclusive series, either, outside of x-producing them.)

AAMoF, they're starting to lose their DVD rental service as well, as old physical-rental disks are no longer being replaced, and "Unavailable" signs on queues are starting to rise to a level not seen since '00, the last struggling days of when they were still one distribution office.
Here is a little preview of what happens when "Disks disappear because digital is more convenient"--You can't get the disks, big studios don't want to send their movies to the subscription services anymore, and the services would rather make up their own crap.
Wizduden64

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
FUNimation, Crunchyroll and now Netflix are the new Oprahs to Japanese animation committees.

You get a show!
You get a show!
YOU GET A SHOW!!!!!

Inclined to agree...
Chickenpotatoes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I do not think moe is a concern (how can suits be concerned about something they do not understand or know that exists?). The obvious concern is about not selecting something that requires to know japanese culture to understand/appreciate, so no comedies, no school dramas, no historical japanese/samurai series. This eliminates most light novel fodder, but I can see some magical girls series with moe elements selected down the line.

Did you even read what you wrote? How can something be called anime, if everything related to Japan is scrubbed out from existence? In case you forgot, anime is not at your beck and call. The medium is meant to be an entertainment vehicle from a Japanese viewpoint together with it's culture, or a Japanese spin on things. It has no obligation to animate other cultures or country's shit. If you don't like it, stick to other cartoons. Stop insisting anime should conform to your tastes.

angelmcazares wrote:
If by producing anime Netflix is saying giving money to Japanese companies and let them do their thing, I am all in. I want Netflix to just put money into anime, not ideas.

Triple thumbs up. Just dump the money and stay out of the creating process.

Actually, this has the potential to be terrible. Western folks who don't know anything about anime, tend to think they are kid's shows, or are only really accustomed to American-styled cartoons. Thus, if they are sinking lots of money in that direction, this might make Japanese creators veer to produce stuff that are more "Americanized" in nature.

And this defeats the point in anime. If I want to watch American cartoons, I would have stuck to watching American cartoons. However, this might not be so bad, if conversely, they going for the lighter, mainstream crowd, sticking to programming for the younger audiences. Just cashing in and making more money from the established franchises.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
This eliminates most light novel fodder, but I can see some magical girls series with moe elements selected down the line.

Down the line? Smile Precure is all set to go.

Forgive me for being part of the group that thinks Precure is in the same category as Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, Crayon Shin-chan & Doraemon. Hopefully the next Madoka (or Kill La Kill) will be financed by Netflix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7