• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Criticize Softbank's Anime Character Live-Action Phone Ads as 'Disrespectful'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I watched it all, it's actually entertaining.

If you're a big FAN of the said anime characters and thus was portrayed in a different manner, you'd probably make a fuss.
But seeing it in a creative aspect, it's a funny commercial.

Well unless the company or the rightful owners of the used characters also got offended by whatever damn reason, they can always sue this ad, be taken down, and poof, gone.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Holy shit. They are literally complaining that a parody commercial depicting characters as working adults isn't accurate to the source material? How does a person that profoundly stupid even function? Like, how have they not all just wandered into traffic or something?

Bubble wrap. Lots of it. Keeps them bouncing along without permanent damage.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Does parody not exist in Japan? What a bunch of oversensitive wimps.

I guess I don't have the same attachment to the depicted characters as people in Japan might have because I was not offended by any of that and I don't see any alarming offense that was intended.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Basically, the "Grown-up Doraemon" car ads with Jean Reno weren't exactly the height of generational nostalgia either--
Mainstream Japanese consider their own vintage toons with the same backhanded mix of nostalgia and kiddy-contempt that would be the equivalent of our own love-hate jokes about Scooby Doo.

(I mean, as the equivalent of invoking vintage-toon love for live-action advertising goes, it's just not on the level of that Wacky Races Peugeot ad.)
simona.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
wow, I've seen some bad Japanese manga renditions, but these ads really top them all Anime hyper congrats, softbank!
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I wounder how many of those fans create/view phonographic fan works?
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every time he reaches for his phone, the crowd gasps.

I'll watch these later, but that sounds pretty funny.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
These aren't especially offensive...they're just not very good commercials and the actors don't resemble the characters in either their looks or their actions.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think these are offensive or disrespectful per se. The Toyota ads that use grown-up Doraemon characters are also silly and imaginative and clearly non-canon, and those are pretty fun.

These commercials just... aren't as good. I just don't understand them and they aren't as charming? I don't know...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Easy, they just implanted Astro's memories into a new body via mircochip or something. Jeez, has no one in Japan read fan fiction? Also, that must be a typo since the very first chapter of the manga was about Tenma selling Astro to the circus!!

You have to realize doujinshi is a super niche market and stigmatized left and right in Japan even by some fans. Still none of the ads are disrespectful, just very crappy.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
How does a person that profoundly stupid even function? Like, how have they not all just wandered into traffic or something?

I know right? Why bother to think, try to understand and look at things from a different perspective when we can just call all of them stupid?

Savages, savages, barely even human~

keichitsu0305 wrote:

Easy, they just implanted Astro's memories into a new body via mircochip or something. Jeez, has no one in Japan read fan fiction?

The difference between fan fiction and these commercials is that one is clearly a work of fans, not trying to reach a wide audience nor attempting to be "official".

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Also, that must be a typo since the very first chapter of the manga was about Tenma selling Astro to the circus!!

Yes, the reason Tenma threw him out because he could not grow up.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
These were cute. That is all.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
How does a person that profoundly stupid even function? Like, how have they not all just wandered into traffic or something?

I know right? Why bother to think, try to understand and look at things from a different perspective when we can just call all of them stupid?

Savages, savages, barely even human~

I literally cannot even imagine the mental gymnastics it must take to connect me saying these complainers are dumb to that clip. And if that's the level of reasoning I'm dealing with here, I stand by my dismissal.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Usagi Tsukino, for instance, has her future planned out in Naoko Takeuchi's original manga and the anime adaptation. Viewers criticized casting the character as the owner of a bar when she's supposed to become the immortal queen of Crystal Tokyo at age 22.

So if I have my future planned out that early that means it's gonna come true Rolling Eyes?

These people.[/quote]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, I wonder if the people upset about these commercials are also bothered by things like Attack on Titan Junior High? Shows like that take quite a few liberties with the source material in the name of comedy, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3