• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Power Rangers Film Casts Becky Gomez as Yellow Ranger

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirohae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
WTH! BECKY G?! That Rapper/singer little girl?! omg lol
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Little is right she's 4'11! Still it's awesome to see Latin people getting some casting!
AnthonyC8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Becky G?! Ahahahahahahahahaha
Yup, this movie is doomed! JK
In all seriousness, I do like her but not as a power ranger.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Called it. I said after the last announcement that they'd go with a Latin American character to hit all of the regions of the world and there she is. Not really crazy about the forced diversity here, even the original Power Rangers didn't try being this PC in the 90s. They're trying way too hard, I don't have a good feeling about the direction they're going in.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kachimanS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
we are now doomed
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
even the original Power Rangers didn't try being this PC in the 90s.

Are you kidding me? Ignoring their casting flub in the first season Power Rangers has always had a diverse cast (ethnically) and loved to parrot the stock answers to social problems. Outside of the violence it was about as PC as you could be.
Kai99

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Called it. I said after the last announcement that they'd go with a Latin American character to hit all of the regions of the world and there she is. Not really crazy about the forced diversity here, even the original Power Rangers didn't try being this PC in the 90s. They're trying way too hard, I don't have a good feeling about the direction they're going in.

Emerje

Yep, it never fails.Rolling Eyes

Someone has to bring the "force diversity" line in. Personally, this Power Rangers reflect me and many other people's reality. I have asian, white, latino, and black friends and acquaintances. Wait until the movie comes out and criticize it on its story and how they handle characterizations, not how the film is trying to be diverse, which isn't surprising for Power Rangers.
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Now there's only one question remaining...

Who's playing Bulk and Skull?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
TrustTheFungus wrote:
Now there's only one question remaining...

Who's playing Bulk and Skull?

Johah Hill and Jay Baruchel Razz
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:

Someone has to bring the "force diversity" line in.

First star wars now this; when will Hollywood stop their attack on white people????
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Kai99 wrote:

Someone has to bring the "force diversity" line in.

First star wars now this; when will Hollywood stop their attack on white people????

As a white person I really have to say certain people in certain fandoms blow things way out of the water. And I really hate when certain politics are brought into the arena. I personally do not care about the Star Wars casting, some people can't enjoy it for what it is. If it is good and entertaining, then I don't care about that. Can I just enjoy my Star Wars without the PC crowd and the anti-PC crowd ruining it for me? No wonder the country is as divided as it is.

Now to what I was going to comment about in this article, I am amused how ANN has repeated the same line about Jason David Frank and his intention to cameo in the movie. This exact same line has been repeated in the last six or seven articles I have read about the movie. We get it, he's going to be in the movie some way or another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
welp never heard of this girl, don't really care to be honest, and frankly after reading the new character bios they're all one big nasty mess away from being a pile of PTSD victims
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote
@ Wandering Samurai

I fully agree it just bugs me when people see diverse casting and immediately assume it's the PC police shoving something down their throats. Let's face it; the power rangers came from the Captain Planet era of kid's tv and was intentionally diverse. This literally is following 100% in that tradition with a few changes (adding a latin character). Secondly the original show took place in SoCal (specifically in Anaheim area), where I'm from... and living there it is a very, very diverse area where you'll see people of every ethnicity on a daily basis. I literally used to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant that was sandwhiched between a Russian deli and an Argentinian restaurant, and down the street from a Japanese supermarket.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, see, it's the rest of you that seem to think Power Rangers was all about diversity from the start when it wasn't. The first several incarnations were always dominated by white characters and then two other ethnicities. They went with that formula for years. The amount of diversity you people are pretending existed didn't come about until years later.

But my complaint isn't that there aren't enough white people or Caucasian Americans in the cast. I've said it before, I'm not being racist or prejudice here. Two African Americans on the team or three Asians that's not the point. What I LOATHE is the cookie cutter diversity of each character being of a different ethnic background. It's an annoying idea. Unlike Captain Planet in which that kind of thing works being, you know, a planet wide team. But for Power Rangers, based in America, it seems unlikely that the five best Power Ranger candidates would be this diverse.

Yes, I know I'm over thinking it, but I really hate it when they force stuff like this. Maybe if they had also changed the character names, but the damage is already done. Oh well, I wasn't expecting it to be any good in the first place.

Emerje
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Let them just white-wash it and have a token black, then we can all make fun of it Laughing

While they're at it, make them all guys, instead of a token girl or two. Y'know they only have girls there to be PC and hook the guys and make girl viewers feel good, when we all know the best warriors are guys pound-for-pound; the probability is quite low that there'd be girls in a real 5-team special ops </g>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2