• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TV Tokyo Censors Recent Mr. Osomatsu Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
He does understand that he's exactly the kind of person they were really making fun of right?
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
What I find funniest about all this is that when the said poop and golden ball gag occurs (repeatedly) in this episode, each time the show manifests a political and moral punishment for Dekapan Man, not just enforced by a violent physical gunshot; but imprisonment, social ostracism, and actual remorse on the part of the character. He even vocalizes that he cannot continue pulling said items out of his pants without serious consequence.

The show is awesome. Self awareness, adult humor, and comedy are hard to balance in animation because a vast majority of viewers in the West still view it as marketable to children. In Japan, it seems they are still willing to fall back on a similar rationality, or attribute it to an already established premise, when they do not understand or feel uncomfortable about something else. That is ironic, and far more interesting than any poop and ball joke.

Anyway, awesome show. I love it. Like crack-flavored candy, or maybe I've got that reversed. Can't wait for the next episode, and now that South Park just launched a Yaoi-themed episode, I am a very happy bunny.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe TV Tokyo chose the safer way to avoid some over sensitive parents from complaining.
WsupItsAnna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really like the skits with him anyways.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The edits don't make sense... I wonder which version they will put on BD/DVD. >__< I hope it's the original TV Tokyo broadcast version. At least I still have my DVR recording if it isn't, I guess, but it'll be disappointing if the home release is the edited version.

I also hope that this incident doesn't affect the direction of future episodes. It would be a shame if the staff feel they have to censor themselves to appease people who might complain.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
If you don't think that one of the most significant action of Anpanman, take part of himself(he is an Anpan -> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Bean-jam-bun,anpan,katori-city,japan.JPG) to help others in need, and turning it of a guy giving a Poop, a testicle or even his only pants isn't offensive to you, then I don't know what you consider offensive.

Also is important to note that Anpanman is a anime for grade school kids.

Isn't that part of the point of humor though? Well, you can have comedy without teeth, but the best comedy is the type that would likely offend someone.

Personally, I'm glad series like Gin Tama, Shimoneta, and Mr. Osomatsu have the courage to make this kind of humor. Someone has to do it.

And yes, I am quite the fan of series like The Simpsons (in its golden age and silver age) and South Park, series which can be quite merciless if they wanted to be.

I mean, in the "Imaginationland" three-parter of South Park, Totoro gets maimed, along with a number of other fictional characters, and it's played for laughs.

mangamuscle wrote:
If people would not say a joke for fear of someone feeling offended, comedy would be a lost art, just like the manufacturing of the Stradivarius violin Anime hyper

Agreed 100%. Part of what makes comedy valuable for humanity is that it allows people to say things they cannot without it. That is, humor provides storytellers the means to tell messages that would otherwise come off as mean-spirited, pessimistic, or cruel.

Top Gun wrote:
Meanwhile South Park and Family Guy do this on a weekly basis to beloved Western children's characters, and we simply lol at them.

Yeah, one of my favorite episodes from recent South Park was "Taming Strange," which had a B-story about Foofa from Yo Gabba Gabba! desiring to display her private parts on national television at the MTV Music Awards. The best part about it was that you could tell the other Yo Gabba Gabba! characters were not naïve to adult themes.

I wish I could watch the current episodes, but I keep forgetting to...
Aoi_Nagase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, I understand the Dekapan-man part being changed and all...

But, why do they have to change this part as well? It may not be the main point, but I'm only curious about it.

Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
@Aoi_Nagase

Possibly to save themselves from possible future controversy, since "OAW" is a parody of Saw, a survival horror gaming title.

Oh...and welcome to ANN. Smile
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
@Aoi_Nagase

Possibly to save themselves from possible future controversy, since "OAW" is a parody of Saw, a survival horror gaming title.

Oh...and welcome to ANN. Smile

They turned that into a game?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
They turned that into a game?

Yes, there are Saw games as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3