• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Boruto -Naruto the Movie-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Right now I am currently in the United States and want to see the baruto movie, I hear it just came out today. But when I visit the amc website it says there are no showings today no mater what day I select, anyone know what's going on?

Maybe that theater chain isn't showing the movie. Are there any other chains in your current locale?
AnthonyC8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Right now I am currently in the United States and want to see the baruto movie, I hear it just came out today. But when I visit the amc website it says there are no showings today no mater what day I select, anyone know what's going on?

I live in Arizona and it's only showing in two different theaters. What JaggedAuthor said is probably right. In Arizona, AMC isn't showing the boruto movie it's an IMAX and a Harkins theater that is showing it. Go to elevenarts.net and it'll show which theaters are playing it in your state.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Very fun movie, I even think the villain was good. His intention was pretty simple, and that's what he carried out: spoiler[As Kaguya's descendant, he wanted to succeed in what she started. So to re-summon the chakra tree, he started hunting the tailed beasts. So he came to the Leaf and attacked Naruto for his Nine Tails. ]

I think the movie villain was fine, not a negative at all. Characters, Art, Animation, Part 1 Themes, and overall Enjoyment are all A's and A+'s for me.
I got hit with nostalgia pretty hard. Naruto as a series is at it's best when these little genin go around on missions and do stupid things, with some life lessons thrown in there. That is what this show is best at, and how it became popular. Shippuden became bad after it started trying to be "serious shit". So I'm glad that the send off to the series returned to its roots.

JaggedAuthor wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Is this screening in subs or dubs? Nobody is clarifying if the movie is in English or not

The version being released in US theaters is subtitled, so I assume that's what was reviewed here.

Yeah I saw it today and it was subbed.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
With regard to Boruto getting in trouble for cheating, I think his father's point of contention was the way he went about it. Naruto's generation cheated using techniques they spent years perfecting, whereas Boruto used a device that enabled him to execute attacks he never took the time to learn.

Except that metaphor doesn't work all the way either. The problem with that is it's essentially whining that Bolt has something that makes using ninjutsu a lot more convenient and efficient. Seriously, instead of taking months or years to perfect a technique and then teach that to others (which again would take extra time) you can just fire a scroll in and get automatic results. Boom, done, onto the next technique. It's why bows got rendered obsolete when firearms came about.

And again, the problem is that Naruto and his generation also found every freaking way to cheat anyway. Naruto for example was able to blow through learning techniques a lot faster due to his Kurama trump card, a trump card he did not earn. Sasuke of course had the Sharingan which was, again, something he did not EARN, but had on a silver platter. And that's the POINT of learning, it's to figure out the kinks in something and then teach the next generation so they can learn it more quickly and thus refine it. And if one way of things being more efficient is via some gadget, then that's a positive step. Again, once you put it into the context of what the setting is like, the message the script is trying to push ceases to work.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

It's why bows got rendered obsolete when firearms came about.

Kind of funny though considering how notoriously tedious early firearms were to reload but I digress.

AiddonValentine wrote:

Seriously, instead of taking months or years to perfect a technique and then teach that to others (which again would take extra time) you can just fire a scroll in and get automatic results. Boom, done, onto the next technique.

But what happens though if this means of using Ninjutsu becomes unusable such as the device in this case being inoperable, stolen,removed, or destroyed?

If you didn't already know ninjutsu beforehand you'd be pretty much screwed.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
With regard to Boruto getting in trouble for cheating, I think his father's point of contention was the way he went about it. Naruto's generation cheated using techniques they spent years perfecting, whereas Boruto used a device that enabled him to execute attacks he never took the time to learn.

Except that metaphor doesn't work all the way either. The problem with that is it's essentially whining that Bolt has something that makes using ninjutsu a lot more convenient and efficient. Seriously, instead of taking months or years to perfect a technique and then teach that to others (which again would take extra time) you can just fire a scroll in and get automatic results. Boom, done, onto the next technique. It's why bows got rendered obsolete when firearms came about.

And again, the problem is that Naruto and his generation also found every freaking way to cheat anyway. Naruto for example was able to blow through learning techniques a lot faster due to his Kurama trump card, a trump card he did not earn. Sasuke of course had the Sharingan which was, again, something he did not EARN, but had on a silver platter. And that's the POINT of learning, it's to figure out the kinks in something and then teach the next generation so they can learn it more quickly and thus refine it. And if one way of things being more efficient is via some gadget, then that's a positive step. Again, once you put it into the context of what the setting is like, the message the script is trying to push ceases to work.

You make an interesting point, and yes, many of Naruto's principal characters had genetic advantages - i.e., Bijuu chakra, Sharingan, Byakugan, etc. And yes, some of the them found ways to streamline certain attacks, like Naruto using a shadow clone to assist with the Rasengan. However, I'm not sure that's outright cheating so much as putting acquired skills to good use. Also, despite their advantages, Naruto and Sasuke trained intensively throughout the series.

I'm not saying the Kote doesn't have its uses, but its existence runs counter to the series' (and Jump's) core themes of hard work and dedication. (Still, Lee should totally get one.) To fully justify Naruto's disdain for the Kote, I kind of wish the story had introduced some sort of fatal flaw in the device. Unless, like BadNewBlues said, that flaw is the fact that you're screwed if your Kote breaks and you don't know ninjutsu.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Dextres wrote:
This is basically Kishimoto sensei greatest work and for fans all over to experience the final journey, the story of Naruto son, Boruto & the next generation & older generation guests return live on screen will be breathtaking, thrilling and action filled memorable to come.

I respectfully disagree. Many fans would say Part 1 was Kishimoto's greatest work, and the series taking a nosedive after the Battle with Pain.

But the next generation is just rehash of the original characters and the plot offers no real development. Also it doesn't give positive messages with parental abandonment and neglect. Which does not go well with Sasuke's abuse of Sakura throughout Part 2 of threats and actual murder attempts. All in all, Kishimoto's just milking the cow that we will see for the next decade or two, like Dragonball.

highly doubt he's gonna pull a DBZ with the franchise considering all of the announcements of him wanting to take a break and want his next project to be something new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
^ I agree, but I think the possibility of Pierrot pulling a DBGT and continuing Boruto's story in anime form is pretty strong.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

You know the funny thing is in the very first bloody episode of the show Naruto stole a scroll which allowed him to learn the shadow clone technique INSTANTLY despite him sucking at it for so long. That alone makes me cringe at the aspect of Bourto getting punished for something Naruto did as well and was never punished for. In fact he was made an official ninja after that which..................yeah Kishi doesn't know how to properly deliver messages.............at all.

That aside does the movie explain why Naruto can't just show up in person when spending time with his family and have his clones do all his work? Some might think that would be lazy of him but honestly the dude SAVED THE WORLD and changed the tide of the war almost single handily. He has a right to spend time with his family. I don't see how anyone could disagree with that. If he ends up spending time with them afterwards anyways doesn't that mean he could have done that from the beginning? Rolling Eyes
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

You know the funny thing is in the very first bloody episode of the show Naruto stole a scroll which allowed him to learn the shadow clone technique INSTANTLY despite him sucking at it for so long. That alone makes me cringe at the aspect of Bourto getting punished for something Naruto did as well and was never punished for. In fact he was made an official ninja after that which..................yeah Kishi doesn't know how to properly deliver messages.............at all.

That aside does the movie explain why Naruto can't just show up in person when spending time with his family and have his clones do all his work? Some might think that would be lazy of him but honestly the dude SAVED THE WORLD and changed the tide of the war almost single handily. He has a right to spend time with his family. I don't see how anyone could disagree with that. If he ends up spending time with them afterwards anyways doesn't that mean he could have done that from the beginning? Rolling Eyes

Wait wait a minute! Naruto DID not steal that SCROLL just for himself....I mean he did open it and read it but seriously "When this leaves him unable to graduate from the Academy, one of his instructors, Mizuki, tells Naruto that if he could steal the Scroll of Seals and learn one of its secret techniques he would be allowed to continue on to the ranks of the ninja anyway and graduate." <---

Anyways, I agree on your second part..I feel bad for Naruto being over worked and not spending time with his family...just looking at his face, he looked so old and tired compare to Sasuke lol. I know how Boruto feels... and he was so caring for his little sister too.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

The forbidden scroll that Naruto stole was not a magic ninjutsu-churning device like the kote. When Iruka found Naruto after he had stolen the scroll, the latter was visibly fatigued and dirty from having trained intensely to learn one of the scroll's listed techniques. I'll agree that it wasn't supposed to be in Naruto's possession in the first place, but Naruto using it as a reference to LEARN a technique does not defeat the themes of hard work and perseverence, especially when it's the pinnacle of a technique that he couldn't begin to perform decently earlier. The kote is a tool that literally fires element-based techniques out of itself regardless of the user's nature affinity, amplified to be more powerful than what the user should be capable of. There is quite a big difference in the effort required to use one, compared to training.

I don't have any arguement against your point about Naruto's family time. He probably COULD have used shadow clones to fill out all that paperwork. Though they do tend to be in danger of deactivating at inopportune times...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
And that's the POINT of learning, it's to figure out the kinks in something and then teach the next generation so they can learn it more quickly and thus refine it. And if one way of things being more efficient is via some gadget, then that's a positive step. Again, once you put it into the context of what the setting is like, the message the script is trying to push ceases to work.

That's not the way things work. As we know, change takes TIME, and if nothing else, childhood is when you are taught the BASICs so you always have them to fall back on when technology fails. I admit, I'm no longer a kid and I don't know how lazy they let kids be NOW, but when I was young yes calculators DID exist, and yet we still had to do math "the hard way" to LEARN how to do it.

Also, as we see in other instances, the POINT of the chuunin exams are not "who can do X by whatever means necessary", the POINT is to establish who has certain skills and capabilities. If Bolt were able to cruise through due to a "cheat" device, then what happens when everyone ELSE also has that device? If I had a device that enables me to run 5x my current max speed, maybe I could win an Olympic gold medal, but what happens when all the other competitors have the same device? At that point, I'm again "just a guy" and hopelessly outclassed.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That aside does the movie explain why Naruto can't just show up in person when spending time with his family and have his clones do all his work? Some might think that would be lazy of him but honestly the dude SAVED THE WORLD and changed the tide of the war almost single handily. He has a right to spend time with his family. I don't see how anyone could disagree with that. If he ends up spending time with them afterwards anyways doesn't that mean he could have done that from the beginning?

This was basically Naruto's character arc in the film. His reason for not having shadow clones help out at work is never explicitly stated, but the implication was that he prioritized his Hokage duties and regarded his family obligations as secondary. In other words, he felt that his job was too important to entrust to shadow clones, but he had no problem using them as stand-ins at family events. (He also uses them for his television appearances. Basically, anything that involves leaving the office.) How he's able to spend more time at home at the end of the film is never really explained. Maybe he decided to farm out some of endless paperwork? Maybe he had been creating more work for himself all along? He actually had a pretty skilled cabinet of advisors - Shizune and Kakashi, in particular - so they may have relieved him of certain tasks.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:

Wait wait a minute! Naruto DID not steal that SCROLL just for himself....I mean he did open it and read it but seriously "When this leaves him unable to graduate from the Academy, one of his instructors, Mizuki, tells Naruto that if he could steal the Scroll of Seals and learn one of its secret techniques he would be allowed to continue on to the ranks of the ninja anyway and graduate." <---

I know Naruto was a kid at the time but seriously how could he believe that? The fact people were chasing him seems like it should have been enough for him to know he wasn't supposed to be doing it. Being rewarded for doing something you weren't supposed to.....doesn't make sense. Naruto was known for getting into the trouble so perhaps people chasing him didn't phase him anymore but it's still not really something I think he should have been instantly rewarded for personally. If anything I'd at least appreciate the scene more if the movie made a clever callback to when Naruto took the scroll since he still technically cheated to receive his most iconic technique. Seems like it's a missed opportunity since Naruto took the scroll to try to prove himself JUST like his son.

Gatherum wrote:

The forbidden scroll that Naruto stole was not a magic ninjutsu-churning device like the kote. When Iruka found Naruto after he had stolen the scroll, the latter was visibly fatigued and dirty from having trained intensely to learn one of the scroll's listed techniques. I'll agree that it wasn't supposed to be in Naruto's possession in the first place, but Naruto using it as a reference to LEARN a technique does not defeat the themes of hard work and perseverence, especially when it's the pinnacle of a technique that he couldn't begin to perform decently earlier. The kote is a tool that literally fires element-based techniques out of itself regardless of the user's nature affinity, amplified to be more powerful than what the user should be capable of. There is quite a big difference in the effort required to use one, compared to training.

I don't have any arguement against your point about Naruto's family time. He probably COULD have used shadow clones to fill out all that paperwork. Though they do tend to be in danger of deactivating at inopportune times...

Naruto's shadow clones were shown to be able to take much more damage as the series went on. I'm sure in his current state of basically being the most powerful Ninja in the world that it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Well I'll give it too you that at least Naruto had to still work for it but from what I can understand it still only took him roughly half a day to do. I still think it's a less acceptable than say when he used a shadow clone to learn the rasengan. While the latter could be described as a cheat it was something he learned to apply HIMSELF without the assistance of any secret scrolls. Plus it still took him a long time to learn. Just like the other techniques that he learned like Sage Jutsu, his throwable rasengan, summoning jutsu etc.

We see Naruto work hard to achieve these new techniques which makes them feel much more earned. The same can't be said for his Shadow Clone skill that required significantly less work because of the scroll. I'll agree it's not exactly the same as the kote but it's still not something I think is totally unsimilar.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I should point out that when Naruto used the Shadow Clone technique that first time, Iruka was stunned, because the scroll just teaches you how to do the technique, it doesn't *do* the technique for you. What stunned Iruka was that Naruto was able to learn it at all.

And, yes, it is totally different: the scroll only explains how it is done, but YOU still have to learn to do it using your own abilities. That kote thing, from what I understand, *does* it for you. You don't need to learn to do anything. You simply decide when to activate it, and it does the rest. Maybe you have to aim it a bit, but it isn't really *you* doing something, whereas the scroll doesn't actually do anything for you at all, it merely describes *how* to do something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3