• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Unsympathetic Illustration of Refugee Sparks Uproar in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

The problem is that doesn't make you a refugee. That makes you an economic migrant. From wikipedia:
"An economic migrant is someone who emigrates from one region to another to seek an improvement in living standards because the living conditions or job opportunities in the migrant's own region do not satisfy expectations.[1][2] Economic migrants who work outside their home country are termed migrant workers by the United Nations."

That is what you are describing, and that in itself isn't a problem. The problem comes from the fact that being an economic migrant doesn't mean that the host country foots the accommodations. Qualifying as a refugee usually does and should. Economic migrants are pretending to be refugees to exploit the system.

Thank you for making that distinction; I was not aware of the difference between the two, though I'd hazard a guess that the same issues that prompted the refugees to leave is what prompted migrant workers to seek out a better life. And while I'm all for migrant workers, it is admittedly pretty twisted of them to exploit costs that should go to refugees (though I like to think they're a minority).

I still think it's really shameful that the general mood of the thread is to paint ALL Syrians with a migrant worker status--true or not, and that the original intent of using a child--who literally CAN'T be a migrant worker--to illustrate that point is equally disgusting.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
This thread is like an actual garbage heap became sentient and immediately began posting on the internet.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
We just don't have enough room. Tonnes of people already going to food banks here as it is or not being able to afford heating in winter.

Also, running away does not help. They need to take the other guys out. If everyone acted like this when wars were going on, we'd have lunatics ruling left, right and center.

... Though given the government in the UK, that's debatable that we don't already... That guy is killing people through different tactics.

Bringing them in doesn't help anything. And who's to say which people just decided to join in on the way to another country and aren't actually from a dangerous place.

They go through through tonnes of safe countries so it's debatable how many are even running from the conflicts anymore.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
It's so nice to see that anime fans outside Japan can display the same xenophobia and far-right wing paranoia as those inside Japan. Oh, excuse me, "safety concerns."

Anyway, don't mind me, please resume the two minutes hate.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Germany is accepting applications; the closer countries aren't.

Wrong. The closer countries - like all EU member states and most countries around the world - have processes for any foreigner to apply for refugee status. Anyone can go to Hungary or Italy and apply to stay there as a refugee. And until recently, the rules were in the Eurozone were that the first EU country an aspiring refugee landed in would be the one where they had to make their application.

What Germany foolishly did was boast that they'd wave the normal application process and that anyone who applied in Germany for refugee status would automatically get it. They wouldn't be sent back to the first country they landed in. So that meant that millions of people from poor countries who are not in any immediate danger are travelling to Germany because they know that they will surely get to stay in that country, even though they wouldn't normally qualify as refugees.

Germany is the very country which proclaimed it would take in 800,000 refugees this year alone and then in a show of good faith closed its borders to refugees one week later. Merkel hadn't thought through the obvious implications and now she's paying for it in the polls. Far more importantly, her country is paying for her decision by being overwhelmed with hundreds of thousands of people who are migrating there looking for work or for a benefit.

And even more relevant than that, her decision has meant that thousands more "refugees" have died than would otherwise due to the attempts at crossing the Mediterranean. Plus all those countries south of Germany are being overwhelmed by a tide of humanity who want to make their way to Germany. Her vain attempt to look good in the eyes of the world just made the situation worse. If she wins the Peace Prize it will be a slap in the face to an entire continent who is unnecessarily suffering a crisis because of her.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Safety concerns is really not much of the reason I don't want them in my country. It's more that many of these people have no intention of assimilating into my country's culture -- or more to the point, they have no wish to abandon their own culture and instead expect us to bend over backwards to accommodate them and *their* culture. To heck with that. Why should we want to accommodate the failed garbage culture they grew up in which led to them fleeing their own nation?

The media like to spin this whole situation by focusing on the most pitiable images, knowing as they do that there wouldn't be any sympathy for the vast majority of "refugees" trying to get into Europe right now.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
How disheartening that the opposing response to this image has been a call for censorship and how pleasing that it has failed.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I still think it's really shameful that the general mood of the thread is to paint ALL Syrians with a migrant worker status--true or not, and that the original intent of using a child--who literally CAN'T be a migrant worker--to illustrate that point is equally disgusting.

Personally, I think it is a minority and we just disproportionately hear about it because it makes for better stories. People abiding by the spirit of the rules aren't as interesting to cover. However, just because it isn't a majority doesn't mean it should be ignored either.

Honestly, I find using children in pretty much any kind of political add to be in poor taste. It is pretty much always trying to exploit empathy, and regardless of the cause, I think that should be frowned upon.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
How disheartening that the opposing response to this image has been a call for censorship and how pleasing that it has failed.

Certain groups want to create an echo chamber that only reflects what they want and none of what they don't want. This is a common human failing, and like you, one I am glad did not succeed in coming to fruition.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
failed garbage culture

Pro tip: if you want to convince anyone your side isn't racist, stop talking like one.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Personally, I think it is a minority and we just disproportionately hear about it because it makes for better stories. People abiding by the spirit of the rules aren't as interesting to cover. However, just because it isn't a majority doesn't mean it should be ignored either.

Honestly, I find using children in pretty much any kind of political add to be in poor taste. It is pretty much always trying to exploit empathy, and regardless of the cause, I think that should be frowned upon.

Yeeaaah...when I see photos of refugee boats and it's pretty much all young dudes, I'm not gonna have a shred of sympathy.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Humans of New York is currently interviewing refugees in Greece to tell their experience of coming over. I think the "rich people with thousands to spend coming for economic gain" is a wide brush to sweep this situation with.

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/130085731641/my-husband-and-i-sold-everything-we-had-to-afford

There are daily conflicts here in Sweden with "refugees" hunger striking, refusing to leave the busses because they want to live in a large city. The peaceful and safe Swedish countryside isn't good enough for someone who's sold all their possesions and are escaping war, I guess.

And even when they get their own seperate apartments there have been fights because they have to share either kitchens and bathrooms with other "refugees".

Hell, just last week there was a group of refugees refusing to accept their own apartments, they wanted houses. No, i'm not joking.

But the most hilarious thing was probably in the latter part of 2014 when 10 "refugees" who were going to seek asylum in Sweden arrived in a prive jet. I wish it wasn't true, but if you know a bit of Swedish you can just google it.

A refugee doesn't cross an entire continent and travel through multiple safe European countries only to reach the northernmost ones by accident. They know which countries have generous welfare systems and they're making very good use of them.

In fact, they're making such good use of it here in Sweden that the state budget broke. And there's still 3 whole months of the year left while more refugees than ever are pouring into the country.

Less money + more refugees + record low amount of housing = Not good.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I think basically every position on this has been covered and so rather than just let this continue in circles and be depressing and horrible I'm just going to close this thread and let it be forgotten.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6