• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kizumonogatari Confirmed as 3 Films Starting on January 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
*chito895's reaction

But wow, three movies? Please don't delay the other parts! And when will they get here to America?!

But at least they finally announced the movie and not some other BS.

I as well watched the PV video that apparently appeared after the first episode of Owarimono, and it's amazing as heeeeeeeell. I'm hyped right now! It seems that 2016 is going to be amazing!
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Sweeeet!

I would love to know how Shinbou's involvement compares to Oishi's, though. I imagine chief director is a general "overseer" of the project compared to the director who does most of the dirty work.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Really liking the look of this trailer. Looks like the wait might be worth it. Very Happy
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I wish that these films were getting the dub treatment but Aniplex seems to have no interest going down that route which is indeed a shame.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think I'd live to see it. This is going to be very good.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I wish that these films were getting the dub treatment but Aniplex seems to have no interest going down that route which is indeed a shame.

No i think they didn't by request of Shaft. Which is grand because everything else about the series is so full of japanese culture
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

No i think they didn't by request of Shaft. Which is grand because everything else about the series is so full of japanese culture

It's very unlikely it was requested by the production company to be sub-only.

You still hit the nail on the head though. As you say, it's chock full of so many Japanese cues, cultural references, puns and wordplay, and they talk crazy fast to boot, it's about as close to an undub-able series as you can get. Perhaps not impossible, but definitely a very difficult series to do justice with a faithful dub and not have it come out sounding like Speed Racer.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Unless each movie is around 70-75 minutes, making three movies out of a single novel seems stupid. I rather see a single 120-150 minutes movie.

I suppose this is better than nothing. And like others here, I hope it does not take forever to make and show all 3 movies. I imagine Aniplex could premier the second movie in early summer 2016 and the third one by November 2016.

EDIT: But I gotta admit, the trailer looks fabulous.
Space☆Candy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome Very Happy
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, THREE movies?

For starters, if you put in every single line of dialogue and every single line of Arararagi monologue, then picked the battles and made them longer (otherwise they'd last just a couple minutes or would turn into Captain Tsubasa), it would STILL fall short of 3 hours.

So, I'm expecting three 45 minute movies. Although since being parted in three allows them to repeat a great deal of monologue and there's a lot of monologue to be adapted if they will, maybe they will last a full hour each.

I was happy that Kizu was going to be a movie because the continuous narrative needed a continuous format instead of several week-long breaks. There's that...
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

You know Rokka adapted 1 novel into 12 episodes right?

Yeah. That turned out great for them.

Calculus20 wrote:
3 movies for 1 novel. Expect delays and maybe even some Anime original content. This probably won't even be done until 2020.

Honestly I'm happy I could never get into this show. Aniplex titles seem to give their fans a severe case of stockholm syndrome. I can understand enjoying the series but even if I were a fan I'd be furious if they 'dragonballed' my favorite series in order to bloat it to make more money.

Sadly the anime industry is a very volatile business with high operating expense. The industry relies on huge hits like this to recoup losses incurred from the 20 flops before it. It terrifies me now when a series I enjoy sells well enough (either in merchandise or whatever) to get more seasons. It just means that studio /production committee / whatever will latch on to it like a leech and bleed it for all it's worth. Think Endless eight but over and over and over and over again. This is unfortunately the norm. We all just have to live with it.

Also.. avatar related. Everyone of these threads without fail.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

You know Rokka adapted 1 novel into 12 episodes right?

Yeah. That turned out great for them.

Calculus20 wrote:
3 movies for 1 novel. Expect delays and maybe even some Anime original content. This probably won't even be done until 2020.

Honestly I'm happy I could never get into this show. Aniplex titles seem to give their fans a severe case of stockholm syndrome. I can understand enjoying the series but even if I were a fan I'd be furious if they 'dragonballed' my favorite series in order to bloat it to make more money.

Sadly the anime industry is a very volatile business with high operating expense. The industry relies on huge hits like this to recoup losses incurred from the 20 flops before it. It terrifies me now when a series I enjoy sells well enough (either in merchandise or whatever) to get more seasons. It just means that studio /production committee / whatever will latch on to it like a leech and bleed it for all it's worth. Think Endless eight but over and over and over and over again. This is unfortunately the norm. We all just have to live with it.

Also.. avatar related. Everyone of these threads without fail.

I understand the need to make money but there's just too much of this sort of stuff lately that feels more like exploitation than a genuine attempt to make an enjoyable show. There's a point where something just starts to just get so overtly commercial and so blatantly stretched out into seemingly endless installments for the purposes of bilking hardcore fan groups that it ceases to be fun for anyone that isn't part of said group anymore and I think anime pretty much crossed that line this year for me when I found almost nothing to watch and yet again everything that was supposed to be a top billed show instead just felt like a cash grab off of some ultra devoted fan group as if the industry is afraid of taking even the slightest of risks at this point in generating some sort of new content or fans on it's own.

I'm not sure it's a case of Stockholm syndrome, people don't really seem to mind this sort of model it at all it seems. This series looks like it's probably going to continue indefinitely but since it's fanbase seems to really really unconditionally love it it's little surprise. I mean at this point for anime it's either stretch some hit out indefinitely or adapt some similar kind of thing and hope it takes off too, there's just not much to get one inspired lately.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
^

I mean - in this case this is the only part of the monogatari which is (debatable) excessive, the others are all just straight adaptions of the books and often cut out a fair amount. I really get annoyed at people like you who complain about how long it is...when the source material is just that long. What's your point? It makes no sense, the author is writing what they want and the studio animates it because hey, people like it. Also when you say "The fanbase unconditionally loves it" you mean the fans who would unconditionally love anything. It doesn't matter what the series is, there will always be fans who give it a pass regardless of what it does, there will also be fans who who don't...

Would you honestly want a work you loved adapted into just one series...for the sake of not 'dragging it out' and no other reason? That's just stupid. I mean there are examples of dragged out works like Madoka or Evangelion but this is not one of them. Or at least it wasn't - you can even see that I (a big fan of the series) expressed my doubts over it requiring 3 movies.

Also when you start making blanket statements about anime like you are, you should probably stop watching because you've become so blinded by your own bias that you'll never enjoy anything.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
lolz at the people calling this milking and excessive. Excessive is when you have crap load of spinoffs aka (AOT junior <= What does that have anything to do with AOT?) This is just a part of the novel and they wanted to animate it in 3 movies, so what? If it works for them that way and not make them rushed or too slow, I'm fine with that. Also, this isn't exactly milking either, again I'll use AOT as an example with their 2 movies of freaking recaps. That's milking. This is at least adapting a part of the series and not again FREAKING RECAPS.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
And now my expected comment about how each movie is gonna be 100+ Dollars in the US if they come out here and how it makes me very sad because I do love the franchise.

Also, can someone P.M. an explanation to me as to why his name is being spelled as Simbo instead of Shinbo? I tried googling ( for about 5 minutes) but can't seem to find anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3