• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive: Funimation to Stream Heavy Object, Dance with Devils, Valkyrie Drive Mermaid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Buzz201 wrote:
When people outside North America criticise FUNimation, they do so with good reason, as FUNi pick-up almost invariably means somewhere in the world will have to do without a simulcast, and unless FUNi gets it's act together some titles may never get a UK release at all.

When their streams aren't available, people tend to use the ripped versions of their streams which you could argue are the exact same thing. You could technically argue they aren't simulcasts but rather compare the ripped versions to 'delaycasts'. But really, the difference on that front is so tiny it matters not in practice...

No. 5 FUNi titles from last season simply weren't streaming in the UK at all. Many titles were only streaming because FUNi didn't have UK rights, AL did. Several FUNi titles started months into their run and were actually delaycasts (of varying length betwen 2 weeks and a month), despite being straight rips of FUNimation's streams.

It has been confirmed FUNi holds South American rights to Seraph of the End, despite not even trying to stream it any South American country.

There are no excuses, FUNi are basically rights-squatting trolls at this point. They're quite fortunate they have a lot of goodwill, because if any other company pulled shit like this, there'd be hell to pay. It's quite telling of their internal attitudes that FUNi has no UK distributor and Sentai Filmworks has two...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Don't get why so many people are happy about valkryie getting picked up by funi, now we have no chance of getting the uncensored simulcast.

They are happy, because if Aniplex or Pony Canyon had gotten it, you would have to fork over an arm or a leg for it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Don't get why so many people are happy about valkryie getting picked up by funi, now we have no chance of getting the uncensored simulcast.

They are happy, because if Aniplex or Pony Canyon had gotten it, you would have to fork over an arm or a leg for it.

Don't understand why'd they prefer to wait a long time just to watch it uncensored, but whatever. I've seen stranger thing.

Blanchimont wrote:

It's understandable if that was the ordinary broadcast version they received for their streams from the licensors.
Now, should any edits still linger in the home video release, all hell will break loose. I seriously doubt that though, and their track record doesn't prove otherwise. Well, we'll see about that in November (a few of those 'scenes' were quite racy)...

No, they had taken scenes out of the broadcast version for that show

Last edited by Rederoin on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Actually, those specific scenes were missing from the Japanese broadcasts except the uncensored AT-X ones.

I too had suspicions on Funi regarding that back then, but had to revise my opinion after examining through different ripped broadcast raws for it. The only channel I personally found that had them was AT-X. If there were any others, I missed them.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people are happy about Funimation getting Valkyrie Drive -Mermaid- because #1 they live in the United States and can watch the stream legally. #2 Funimation will most likely dub the show maybe even simudub. #3 although the stream will most likely be edited people here are patient and willing to wait for a year or so for the unedited home video release to come out with a dub. (I said it before and I'll most likely say it again patience is a virtue) Plus we have plenty of other Anime shows to get us by until then so it's all good ITS ALL GOOD Cool
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If you're going to use patience as a good thing, then i'm not sure what to say.

Blanchimont wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Actually, those specific scenes were missing from the Japanese broadcasts except the uncensored AT-X ones.

I too had suspicions on Funi regarding that back then, but had to revise my opinion after examining through different ripped broadcast raws for it. The only channel I personally found that had them was AT-X. If there were any others, I missed them.

Hmm.. fair enough then.
Still, they where rather unprofessional with the prison school dub, so I don't think my opinion of them is changed that much.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
If they had Micah Solusod do the male lead in Heavy Object, that would make sense since this series is from the creator from Index and Railgun.
Diclonii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
It's hilarious how some are complaining about Funimation having ecchi and censored anime when Crunchy Roll does the same thing..... At least when it arrives on blue-ray/ dubbed on Funi's app it's always uncensored, meanwhile on CR it's still censored. To love ru was heavily edited on CR and now they're getting the sequel for Testament of The Sister Devil which will also be blocked and it's a typical ecchi/ harem. So Funi is the one to go to after a year and are both equally guilty with ecchi's.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

I don't stream anime and always wait for the home video releases before I watch something but I'm always happy when Funimation picks up stuff because as a dub fan, Funi almost always dubs everything they pick up so I don't have to worry for the most part if titles I'm excited for are going to get a dub or be released sub only like the other NA anime companies. Also a Funimation pickup means greatly prices bluray sets and chipboard LE's.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that Valkyrie Mermaid will be getting an uncensored AT-X broadcast, because it means a fansubber will pick it up and spare me from their [FUNi's] hardsubbed awful quality.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
Diclonii wrote:
It's hilarious how some are complaining about Funimation having ecchi and censored anime when Crunchy Roll does the same thing..... At least when it arrives on blue-ray/ dubbed on Funi's app it's always uncensored, meanwhile on CR it's still censored. To love ru was heavily edited on CR and now they're getting the sequel for Testament of The Sister Devil which will also be blocked and it's a typical ecchi/ harem. So Funi is the one to go to after a year and are both equally guilty with ecchi's.

CR has aired uncensored versions of shows before, last season they aired My Wife is the Student Council President (I think it was) uncensored and before that they aired Terraformars uncensored.
Diclonii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Diclonii wrote:

CR has aired uncensored versions of shows before, last season they aired My Wife is the Student Council President (I think it was) uncensored and before that they aired Terraformars uncensored.
I agree but it's very rare you get that. And they got lucky with Terraformers after having it uncensored post episode 4 since Japan actually removed it themselves and allowing it overseas. My Wife Council was anime short right, I think most didn't bother watching it? Personally it's a big deal when shows like Tokyo Ghoul, dead man wonderland are censored vs ecchi/ harem imo. They are awful watching it until the blue-rays. But now you can watch Ghoul uncensored through the Funi app( season 1), same goes for that ecchi wrestling anime( it's name is too long lol) it was on CR and is still censored but it's uncensored on the Funi app now.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
Diclonii wrote:
I agree but it's very rare you get that. And they got lucky with Terraformers after having it uncensored post episode 4 since Japan actually removed it themselves and allowing it overseas. My Wife Council was anime short right, I think most didn't bother watching it? Personally it's a big deal when shows like Tokyo Ghoul, dead man wonderland are censored vs ecchi/ harem imo. They are awful watching it until the blue-rays. But now you can watch Ghoul uncensored through the Funi app( season 1), same goes for that ecchi wrestling anime( it's name is too long lol) it was on CR and is still censored but it's uncensored on the Funi app now.

I guess the incredibly minor hope for some people was better than none, and there's a huge difference between uploading the uncensored version week by week or in line with the Japanese BD releases (as CR did for MWISTCP and Terraformars respectively) and randomly tossing it up whenever you feel like it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Diclonii wrote:

To love Ru did not have a uncensored broadcast. CR used the broadcast version. Meanwhile the last ecchi title that did have a uncensored broadcast did get a uncensored release by CR.

Now maybe its not 100% for CR, buts its 0% for funi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3