• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Joy of Sakuga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I disagree with this. So many times a writer is the major reason for a shows love/success, as is a director. For example someone might only like SHAFT shows from Shinbo Akiyuki and dislike SHAFT shows from other directors. His style is very specific to him. The same can be applied to any position that holds any power in how the show is formed. This includes people in charge of animation and writing.

Another example, ignoring a show entirely because of the Script Writer is perfectly valid. If a person absolutely hates the writing style of that Script Writer (like so many seem to do for Mari Okada) then they probably won't enjoy anything she's writing scripts for no matter who else is involved.

Anyone that knows that particular writer/director/animator/ect that you say you love/hate well enough to even have a discussion, should know the basic reasons why you feel that way about that person.

Shinbou hasn't directed for SHAFT, he's simply passed his techniques and philosophies down.

Also, you seem to be missing the point of my argument, that the head does not reflect the beat-by-beat moments of what you may or may not be enjoying in a work. Can you attribute every beat of an episode you like as you watch it to its series director, head writer or studio?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

I have been in the anime fandom since the 90s, but it wasn't really until I sat down and watched this panel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuPNSyztkHPqV-M4ePSmN_2BLhONu0WLg that I really understood how deep Sakuga appreciation went.

Glad someone posted a link to that panel or I would have. I had no idea what Sakuga was before I saw that panel and it really allowed me to appreciate the pure animation in some tv shows and movies. I don't necessarily keep track of who was involved with what sequences of animation, but because of that panel I tend to be far more aware and pay more attention when those "sakuga moments" occur.
aers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Kevin Cirugeda wrote:
These last couple years I've seen works like Yozakura Quartet, Hana no Uta and Space Dandy pique people's interest in animation, and while the roads they take differ, we all end up in the same place.
A bit of a tangent, but is the original TV adaptation of Yozakura Quartet (which is what the link in the article leads to) actually noted for its animation quality? I've watched Hana no Uta and its associated OVAs and their good rap for sakuga is well-deserved, but AFAIK they were made by a completely different team. I haven't seen the older series, and I haven't heard anything good about it either.

Yeah the link is wrong, he's specifically referring to stuff directed by Ryo-chimo, so Hana no Uta, Hoshi no Umi, and the last Tsuki ni Naku OVA.
gustave154

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I have been a fan of sakuga ever since i watched Redline and Casshern Sins. The joy of watching sakuga unfold on screen is truly dazzling to behold.
Glad to see that they are more of us that appreciate the animators hard work to create mindblowing scenes for us.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Might be a good idea to add alt tags to the images with their respective sources and animators? The last image is from Go! Princess Precure ep.30 @ 14:56.520-15:07.781. (Neat to see some Precure on ANN Smile)

What doesn't help in identifying artists who contributed to a particular episode is the fansub practice of cutting the OP and ED off and including them only once as a separate file. Which means you get to see the exact same credits for all episodes Anime hyper

I appreciate me some quality animation, but it is usually a sign that the story/plot isn't so great when I start to pay attention to how many corners the animation cuts..

Yeah, it was kind of annoying to read an article about appreciating the animators with a bunch of gifs and not telling us who animated those scenes! There could have been encyclopedia links to the animators and it just would have been cool.

I understand maybe not all of them are known (like the Kyoto Animation ones since the article stated it can be difficult to find out with them), but at least do the ones that are known. Otherwise, great article!
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there wasn't any mention of Ufotable, considering how high quality their animation always is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Article author asked me to post all the sources, so

1) Yoh Yoshinari, Gurren Lagann Parallel Works #8 booru
2) Unknown animator, Joshiraku #1(?) booru
3) Ryu Nakayama, Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta #9 booru
4) Ryo Imamura, Hidamari Sketch x365 #1 booru
5) Ryo-timo, Hanamura Kindgergarten ED#6 booru
6) Masayuki Nonaka, Love Lab #5 booru
7) Unknown animator, Hibike! Euphonium #8 booru
8) Shingo Fujii, Go! Princess Precure #30 booru

Included booru links since a bunch of those cuts are significantly longer than the gifs.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I sorta consider myself a sakuga fan; not well enough to name which key animator was in charge of a scene on the top of my head but aware enough to appreciate the burst of emotion and break from the model. Samurai Champloo and certain episodes of Bleach were the first times I became aware of these sudden changes to how characters move or how small things like the wind or debris would behave differently. Only after watching Birdy the Mighty Decode did I find out more about the actual word sakuga and other notable people.

For Kevin or anyone, are there any storyboard art books on specific artists or shows you would recommend? I usually try to study clips on YouTube but an actual book would be 100% beneficial for me!
Zoro-1992

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
I'm surprised there wasn't any mention of Ufotable, considering how high quality their animation always is.

The author hates ufotable so it isn't too surprising.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
If i understand correctly, 'Sakuga' refers to specific (usually short), carefully animated scenes at important moments that are a bit like an animator's 'signature'? I remember that i've seen quite a few moments like these, where the animation suddenly becomes noticeably more fluid for an impactful scene, but i'm having a hard time remembering specific examples from stuff i've seen.

the only one off-had that i can remember is from Tokyo Ghoul S1, in the super emotional scene between that little girl ghoul and her mom (you know the one i mean); there were probably quite a few in Toradora as well.

Do i have the concept of this correct?
AkaiDown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For Kevin or anyone, are there any storyboard art books on specific artists or shows you would recommend? I usually try to study clips on YouTube but an actual book would be 100% beneficial for me!

Off the top of my head Dennou Coil, lots of Evangelion artbooks, Inoue's work on Uchouten Kazoku, Kyousogiga, some TTGL stuff... There's actually quite a lot of artbooks that have animation-relevant content out there though, so it's better to just find something about a show that interests you first. You can try to find reviews on artbooks beforehand to find out what's in them.

You can also track down animator books from Comiket and co, but the price/content ratio on those is harsh if you don't buy them on the event or have someone do it for you.
ajtpak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
aers wrote:
Article author asked me to post all the sources, so

1) Yoh Yoshinari, Gurren Lagann Parallel Works #8 booru
2) Unknown animator, Joshiraku #1(?) booru
3) Ryu Nakayama, Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta #9 booru
4) Ryo Imamura, Hidamari Sketch x365 #1 booru
5) Ryo-timo, Hanamura Kindgergarten ED#6 booru
6) Masayuki Nonaka, Love Lab #5 booru
7) Unknown animator, Hibike! Euphonium #8 booru
8) Shingo Fujii, Go! Princess Precure #30 booru

Included booru links since a bunch of those cuts are significantly longer than the gifs.

thanks a lot man, appreciate it.
hoju22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't be opposed to kViN having a regular sakuga column here, perhaps highlighting every season's best sakuga. Only if he's up to it. I enjoyed this immensely.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
No offense, but this article is one of the least informative articles I have read regarding the collecting of production artwork from Japanese studios.

It's great that you want to instill in others an appreciation for artists, their quirks when animating, and what, if any, aspects or features they choose to highlight. Many of us who collect production artwork, as well as those that collect artwork hand drawn and signed by these artists, can appreciate this. But the problem with this article is that you simply ignore the actual artwork in lieu of name dropping. There are too many animator names crammed into this article, to the point where it simply overwhelms any information attempted to be presented.

Nowhere in this article do I see terminology such as "douga", "genga", "background", "layout", etc. The article is devoid of any gifs made from production artwork you personally own. Nor do I see any mention of where to buy these, how much you can expect to spend, etc. Unless this article is meant to be a regular column, do you not think that talking about the types of artwork there is to collect and how to purchase this artwork far would have been a better use of your space?

Also...this -

Quote:
2015 is much kinder to newcomers; resources like sakugabooru do a better job at showcasing animation snippets than those old videos used to, and databases like the Anime News Network Encyclopedia and Animators Corner are fairly complete and can start to compete with the Japanese Anime Staff Wiki.

With the exception of ANN, all of these are poor resources. I'd recommend going to Anime-Beta.com or Rubberslug.com. The former has many, many topics about where to buy artwork, terminology, preservation (like getting rid of that nasty scotch tape on sketches), etc. The latter is home to some of the finest collections of production artwork and original sketches on the internet. It's also free to use and, if you own artwork, you can display it there.

Disclaimer - I am a member of both sites, however, I do not own any of these sites.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Two early examples of sakuga I can recall that really established for me how dynamic and intricate 2D animation could be were the first episodes of Trigun [specifically the opening scene where the bar that Vash is hiding in gets shot up] and Cowboy Bebop [Spike's fight with Asimov]. I watched both of those series when I was pretty young and just starting to get into anime so they made a really strong impression on me.

My latest sakuga obsession is Space Dandy. There are just so many great scenes, and the nature of the show allowed for a lot of different styles that get their moment to shine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8