• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video games with Anime-style art

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
What were your all time Anime-art style video games,ok,for some clarification first,when I say video game with Anime art, I don't mean just the video games based on popular anime tv series.

back in the older days when I was growing up,there were quite alot of underated rare unique video games with Anime-style art such as the Mugen Senshi Valis series from Telent Japan/ Renovation, which were anime-style games featuring a female warrior named Yuko Ahso which only a few of these games made it to america on the Genesis,Turbo Grafx CD, and a butchered version of Valis 4 on the Super Nes. I've had a huge blast with these games. Laughing

there was another particular game I remember for the Super Nes called Kendo Rage, which was a platformer starring a japanese school girl named Jo/Josphine who battled monsters on her way to school,in japan,this game was known as Makeruna Makendo

and of course lets not forget theCotten Fantastic/Magical Night Dreams series which were popular japanese arcade anime-style shootem ups back in the day made by the company Success which the main female character was a cute pink haired witch named Cotten.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
My favourite video game with anime art has to be Guardian Heroes on the long defunct Sega Saturn. The game was a really silly & ridiculous side-scrolling beat-em up (the 'Old Woman' had a cough attack that was devastating at level 100+). All the cut scenes were done in an anime style, as was the presentation of the game itself. If I could find a copy of the game at a reasonable price I'd buy a second hand Saturn solely for that game. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy VII (PC), Tales of Symphonia (GC) and Skies of Arcadia: Legends (GC).

Eternal Sonata looks like it could be added to that list, based on the demo.

I've always wanted to play the Xenosaga games, but dont have a Playstation.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I remember playing Psychic Force 2 for the PS one. I still I have it in fact. It was basically a fighting game.

Another is Legend of Legaia [I'm not sure if I spelled this correctly]. It's an RPG game that was well know during those times.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The Star Ocean series were anime style. The Second Story was made into an anime while the rest are manga series. Kingdom Hearts is kinda anime style.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Considering -- a lot of console game development occurs in Japan. Naturally, many of them use anime art into their games. The early birds happen to be Mario, Sonic, Megaman (a.k.a. Rockman), and the like. The trend has continued on since.
kayjay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I've lost countless hours playing Disgaea 1 and 2.

When it was announced that there was going to be an anime made based on the characters from Disgaea,I was beside myself with joy.
Pity it turned out to be a stinking turd Evil or Very Mad
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Xenogears. That game has some great anime-style character designs, and even a few cutscenes done by Production IG. Not to mention, it's the best RPG I've ever played.
CommunistHamster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle. Dark Chronicle is much, much better. It's a quite deep dungeon rpg with world-building segments.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Most of the people in this thread wrote:
list, list, list
And this isn't really on-topic anyway.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1