• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Getting sick of Anime shows ending in a flash.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shunsui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I am so sick of Anime shows ending in a flash with no real ending. I don’t know how many shows I have watched that just fell apart in a flash, it is like a rock avalanche that comes crushing down on you when your watching, when you start to notice the cracks in the animation. The feeling you get when you see the animators suddenly had to wrap the story up before it gets cancelled. The pain you get when you see a good show turning to dust and you feel the anger inside you, and then you get the panic of trying to find an OVA or another season, or just something that will put your mind at ease. Sometimes you get lucky and find something that makes the show whole, and sometimes you just keep on searching never letting your hopes be lost or your wishes of one day to find that sweet emotion that is a good ending.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
What have you watched? Inuyasha?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
I've seen some rushed endings, but most are at least decent. It would be nice if more shows would follow Nanoha's example and use an entire episode for an epilogue. Or maybe even the second half of the last episode. Too many shows leave only a couple of minutes after grand finale, if that much.

That said, I can't think of anything (at least at the moment) that suffers from an 'ending in a flash' that was described. Some examples would be nice.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
This is really the only thing that bothered me about Chrono Crusade. spoiler[It wasn't really so much that it ended in a flash, but rather the final confrontation was over in a flash. The series built everything up so well and then, bam, Aion is gone(sort of) and the aftermath is really what the finale was about.] I loved the series, one of my favorites, but that part has always bothered me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
What have you watched? Inuyasha?

Maybe it was Mahou Sensei Negima instead.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Infinite Ryvius sorta had an abrupt climax, followed by a nice epilogue episode. spoiler[there was a lot of tension and drama going on, and it all ends suddenly when the military troops bust in and save the children. All the drama kinda flew right out the window after that. The epilogue episode 26 made a good improvement on the ending, though, by tying up all the loose ends and character relationships.]

The only truly abrupt ending I've seen, though, was the ending for xxxHOLiC. spoiler[Most of the development toward the end went nowhere, and were, at best, implied. Nothing significant has really happened in the entire series, outside of the last two episodes, which led to nowhere.] Good thing Production I.G. decided to produce a sequel series.

Most series actually have decent(or at least conclusive) endings, though, so I don't really see what the thread starter was talking about. Confused
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
The problem with series like Chrono, Daphne, Jinki, Gasaraki, Excel, Gankutsuou, 08th and many other series is that I'm all ramped up to see a final confrontation to stretch out over the last two episodes only to have the ending one episode earlier due to an epilogue episode. The worst was Moon Phase that had two epilogue episodes. I was geared up to watching four episodes resolving the conflict on the last DVD only to have the finlae fall short. I suppose it wouldn't be as bad if I didn't know how many episodes are left, or know ahead of time that the last episode is a bonus episode.
Zero89

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
This is really the only thing that bothered me about Chrono Crusade. spoiler[It wasn't really so much that it ended in a flash, but rather the final confrontation was over in a flash. The series built everything up so well and then, bam, Aion is gone(sort of) and the aftermath is really what the finale was about.] I loved the series, one of my favorites, but that part has always bothered me.

Yeah, that was the first series that popped into my head when I read the heading. Unlike you, the ending ruined the show for me. They spend about 15 episodes building up the fight between spoiler[chrono and Aion, and the final "fight" is a by product of chrono running over to save rose(?), and he dies in about 10 seconds]

That dropped the show a couple notches IMO.

Though I think Gantz is another series that does this to you. That ending, while stylish, did NOTHING to resolve the questions in the show. A terrible ending in my opinion. Totally rushed, and solves nothing.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I've seen some rushed endings, but most are at least decent. It would be nice if more shows would follow Nanoha's example and use an entire episode for an epilogue. Or maybe even the second half of the last episode. Too many shows leave only a couple of minutes after grand finale, if that much.

I know what you mean. I always look at the time remaining and when I find that there are about 6-10 minutes left, I always worry if that much time is enough for a good conclusion.

Yeah that spoiler[fight between Chrono and Aion] in Chrono Crusade was really disappointing.spoiler[ I think Aion was killed in one hit.]

Anyone else think BECK's ending was also rushed? I think I didn't even spoiler[see Ryuusuke in the last episode. Although nice touch with the voice over of the dialogue between Ryuusuke and Koyuki when they first met, and Ryuusuke goes "Thanks for saving Beck."]

And with Yakitate!! Japan. spoiler[The last match, the most important match and only one episode of it. I believe there were less important matches that went on for an hour, but they didn't do that for the last one. ] And I didn't like how they revealed that Azuma spoiler[Kazuma finally came up with his recipe of Japan], because there was no build up before that. All of a sudden they just said that spoiler[he has done it without explaining how or why.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
Infinite Ryvius sorta had an abrupt climax, followed by a nice epilogue episode. spoiler[there was a lot of tension and drama going on, and it all ends suddenly when the military troops bust in and save the children. All the drama kinda flew right out the window after that. The epilogue episode 26 made a good improvement on the ending, though, by tying up all the loose ends and character relationships.]

spoiler[ I rather liked that cutoff, myself... by that point, we're all so wrapped up in the politics/turmoil on the ship, it serves as a sudden and clear reminder that it's just a bunch of school kids, trying to get home. Kinda like being a kid, and getting overly into a game of make-believe, and just before you start beating your buddy (aka the goblin/dragon/whatever) with your toy sword, mom calls you in for dinner. Game over, just like that.

I was less impressed with the epilogue... while it was nice to see how things panned out for everyone... you spent all that time trying to get off the ship, and now you're just getting back on it? Confused I think Id've been a lil' more apprehensive.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
I liked Chrono Crusade's ending overall, but I agree that spoiler[the final 'battle' sucked] I also didn't care for the general direction the series went and I didn't like spoiler[the whole stigmata thing or how the other Sinners were taken out so easily and early, and especially how Shader got shafted.]. I guess I'm a bit biased since I read the manga first, but I much preferred the direction the plot went in that one. I liked the post-final battle aspects about equally.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The problem with series like Chrono, Daphne, Jinki, Gasaraki, Excel, Gankutsuou, 08th and many other series is that I'm all ramped up to see a final confrontation to stretch out over the last two episodes only to have the ending one episode earlier due to an epilogue episode.

See, I like it when they do that. I hate it when they try to cram in all the action until the last couple minutes of the final episode.

Zero89 wrote:
Though I think Gantz is another series that does this to you. That ending, while stylish, did NOTHING to resolve the questions in the show. A terrible ending in my opinion. Totally rushed, and solves nothing.

Another example of Gonzo showing how it sucks so hard at creating endings for ongoing manga series. Except in this case, they didn't even try. That was one of the most retarded and pointless endings I've seen. I think they were trying to be deep or profound or something, but ultimately it just sucked.
E-Arkham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
When a writer is able to get you invested in a group of characters so deeply that you want to continue following their exploits for as long as possible, it becomes that much more difficult for a writer to come up with a satisfactory ending.

That said, there's a lot more anime with shoddy, rushed endings (or worse, "reset button" endings where all that time you invested in their development is negated) than there are with really great endings. Why? Like everything else creative, there's simply a lot of crud to wade through to get to the gems -- never mind issues like constraints of time, money, or manpower.

And also, it's subjective. Obviously everyone is different. Endings I absolutely hated, others may love to their core. An ending I despised may be precisely the vision that the writer felt it needed. Vice versa, endings I loved may be one that the writer is never satisfied with.

That's just the way it goes.

Kep
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The problem with series like Chrono, Daphne, Jinki, Gasaraki, Excel, Gankutsuou, 08th and many other series is that I'm all ramped up to see a final confrontation to stretch out over the last two episodes only to have the ending one episode earlier due to an epilogue episode.

Gasaraki's last episode wasn't really an epilogue. It was intended to resolve the supernatural side of the show, whereas Ep 24 focused on tying up the political side (which was, I agree, the better part of the show).

I haven't found myself that disappointed with an anime's ending, save perhaps Melody of Oblivion. I had a love/hate feeling for the show all the way through, but the ending just...didn't do much for me.
vylo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like evangelion to me. Nothing like baiscally 0 animation and notebook drawings to tie up a series.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess Chrono Cruisade's ending was spoiler[so short, I don't even really remember it. All I remember was Chrono and Rosette dying together at the end. I don't even remember the fight between Chrono and Aion. And it was only a couple months ago that I watched it.]

I just watched Now and Then, Here and There. I know it's only 13 episodes, which is the reason why. But spoiler[alot happened in that last two episodes. Lala-ru dies (or disappears), Sis dies, Hondo dies, Nabuca dies, Boo dies, Hellywood is destroyed, Shu goes back home.] That seemed like alittle too much to cram into an ending of a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2