• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Silent Service's Kaiji Kawaguchi Draws Earthquake Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I like series with a survival story-- like Grave of the fireflies

speaking of earthquake.. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was a great series..
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
I got this in my mailbox yesterday.

Usually manga for government materials/messaging is crap but this short 12 pg. manga was very well done with Kawaguchi's precise art and extremely accurate to the information in the rest of the guide.

And the final message was a great summation of the point of the package: "This is not a 'what-if' story, it's our near future. It's a story that will surely become our reality."

Thankfully I live in a pretty safe part of town (all new buildings built in the last 10 years or so, spaced nice and far apart), but it is only a matter of time, indeed.

One interesting point I noticed: The neighborhood in the last scene where you can see the sky-tree in the background with the severe destruction around it is accurate. North Eastern Tokyo is marked on an included map as the place with the least prepared buildings for earthquakes structurally.
(This is actually one of the reasons for building the sky tree there, to help re-vitalize the local area, however that will take many more years).

Oh, I found an official english pdf download for people:

http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/GUIDE/BOSAI/FILES/comic.pdf
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but because this is linked from the Tokyo Metro Gov., could this be deemed a political manga?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but because this is linked from the Tokyo Metro Gov., could this be deemed a political manga?

Um, this is a public service type of thing, there's nothing remotely controversial or political in it.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Um, this is a public service type of thing, there's nothing remotely controversial or political in it.

True, but I was trying to draw a connection between Kawaguchi's other work and this, as they all share his realistic, serious style. (Although you could argue that the actual plots of Eagle and The Silent Service aren't very realistic, so I chose the word "political".)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

True, but I was trying to draw a connection between Kawaguchi's other work and this, as they all share his realistic, serious style. (Although you could argue that the actual plots of Eagle and The Silent Service aren't very realistic, so I chose the word "political".)

Political, I'd say no. An argument could be made that it's somewhat "nationalistic", although depicting your country devastated by a natural disaster and responding to it as best it can is hardly a big "nippon banzai" moment.
The choice of author is probably influenced by the perception of this artist as someone aligned with the politics of the metropolitan government, but honestly it's not reflected in the manual or the manga in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1