• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
User rating: Worst ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vylo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Trust me, SD gundam deserves negative ratings if it could. I swear watching something that god awful took more years off my life then smoking ever could.

Oh, and it was the "superior defender" one. Whoever allowed that to be shown on television needs to be flogged.
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
TBH, I'd like to see the number of times that a series has been marked as "Will Not Finish", as I think that's a better indication of a series' quality. I think seeing a show with a high number of "Will Not Finish" classifications would indicate that a lower quality, if a lot of people can't even force themselves through it. I haven't used the "Worst Ever" rating for any of the shows in my anime list but that's because, if I think it looks like a series is drifting into "Worst Ever" territory, I quit watching it. I will give a rating based on the parts I did watch (hence why I gave Haruhi and FLCL "Weak" and "Bad", respectively), but I don't think it's valid to call something the worst ever without watching the whole thing.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:

Anyway, what if we were to rate anime like we would a test at school? Just about everyone has been to school at one point or another and is familiar with the system (though it might be different in different places). We can have both the number and letter grade on a 100 point scale, like this:

97-100 A+
93-96 A
90-92 A
87-89 B+
83-86 B
80-82 B-
77-79 C+
73-76 C
70-72 C-
67-69 D+
63-66 D
60-62 D-
0-50 F

Or an alternate lower quarter (approx) of the scale:

65-69 D
0-64 F

Like that, people would have both numbers and letters to help them choose a rating. Also, it'd be easier to understand the meaning of each rating because most people should be familiar with the school grading: A is really good, B is good, C is average, D is bad, and F is really bad. Within that, there are all the subdivisions with the + and - signs to help pinpoint a more accurate rating. The ranges would also allow people with more varied views of the rating system to still pick the same ones. A+ could be for anything from "perfect" to "amazing" or "excellent" anime and manga. F could be anything from "really crappy" or "horrible" to "complete and utter garbage" anime and manga. And if you were to display the results, the short-hand display could break the votes down to just A, B, C, D, and F, for those who like less specific results, and the long-hand display could show everything, for those who like more specific results: A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, (D+,) D, (D-,) and F.

The problem with that is there would be way too many options and the ratings would be too spread out. Maybe this would work better:

Worship it
Buy it
Rent it
Watch it drunk
Burn it
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with the rating system. I'm a lot like quite a few posters here, concerned about the spamming of ratings more than anything else. Otherwise, skewing to the higher end is perfectly normal, because everyone pursues the genre they like. My ratings are also top heavy.

The idea of the rating system is just a loose benchmark. For me, I try to check out every anime that's on the top 50, and anything within my genre (which is almost everything anyways) within the top 200. I've been using that way of choosing my anime for awhile now, and everything that I came across thus far, has been at least a "very good" watch, so I think overall, the law of average is doing fine.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I like the current 0-10 scale, personally. I find that, for people who put thought into their ratings, it produces more revealing results. I have not yet given anything the "Worst Ever" rating, but several series have gotten close. I like to be able to judge in subtle shades, rather than outright recommendations or denunciations.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
I like the rating system in ANN right now. I was just updating my anime watched list and ratings. Most of my ratings are either good, execellent or on the the average side.

I only awarded 3 masterpiece ratings (Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai X and the 12 Kingdoms) and I gave 1 really awful - worst ever rating (Samurai X - Reflections). Rolling Eyes

I was just browsing through TV Asahi's 2006 top 10 ranking. I do this often, my main concern is to look at how Candy Candy is ranked, this is the first anime I watched when I was 10 years old in the late 70s. It is still ranked top 10-20 despite a court battle that could very well see an end to this cult classic. It's a pity Candy Candy was never aired in the US. This is a powerful anime for girls aged 10-14. Of course, nowadays, I also look out for Mobile Suit Gundam which was released shortly after Candy Candy. Looks like MS Gundam is going to out live Candy Candy. Confused Can't believe it! Crying or Very sad
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
The problem with that is there would be way too many options and the ratings would be too spread out. Maybe this would work better:

Worship it
Buy it
Rent it
Watch it drunk
Burn it
That "burn it" got me thinking*..since we're all such fansub-loving pirates, an alternative rating system could be this::

Worth buying blind
Worth watching and buying individual discs
Worth buying the boxed set
Worth buying the cheap on-sale boxed set
Worth renting
Worth archiving on the hard disk
Delete from HD, but worth burning to DVDR,
Delete and don't waste a DVDR
Don't waste your bandwidth on this crap
Don't even watch it on YouTube
Do Not Want!

*even though I know that's not the kind of "burn" you were going for...

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:46 am Reply with quote
My two cents on modifying Zalis' rating methods:

Zalis116 wrote:
Worth buying blind

...by standing in the line two days before the first sale in order to get No. 0001 of its serial-numbered limited edition. Two copies if necessary.

Zalis116 wrote:
Do Not Want!

...and I'll continue hating you till the end of my life if you give me a limited edition as my birthday present. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
G. Zeus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
That "burn it" got me thinking...since we're all such fansub-loving pirates, an alternative rating system could be this::

Worth buying blind
Worth renting
Do Not Want!
The current system's fine with me but I found your descriptions rather amusing, distinct, and painfully realistic (woe is me, my wallet are empty).
(^_-)
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Both mistress_reebi's and Zalis116's rating systems are interesting, IMO. Although, I think mistress_reebi's is too short because it's only a 5 point scale.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
mistress_reebi wrote:

Worship it
Buy it
Rent it
Watch it drunk
Burn it
That "burn it" got me thinking*..since we're all such fansub-loving pirates, an alternative rating system could be this::

Worth buying blind
Worth renting
Do Not Want!

lol, ya I actually meant a bon fire like how they censored in the dark ages. Interesting choices Smile
vylo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
mistress_reebi wrote:

Worship it
Buy it
Rent it
Watch it drunk
Burn it

Worth buying blind
Worth renting
Do Not Want!

I see only one flaw.

You burn DVDs? Razz
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Worth buying blind

I love the list, but one problem is that I tend to buy 90%+ of my titles blindly since most everything is pre-ordered and I never download anime. The 10% is mainly titles that are classics (like the IATV releases) or remastered/remixed DVDs.

When I saw the mention of "Burn It" I had the image of throwing the DVD into the fireplace since I don't own a burner, but do use the fireplace often for getting rid of shipping boxes.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Worth buying blind

I love the list, but one problem is that I tend to buy 90%+ of my titles blindly since most everything is pre-ordered and I never download anime. The 10% is mainly titles that are classics (like the IATV releases) or remastered/remixed DVDs.

When I saw the mention of "Burn It" I had the image of throwing the DVD into the fireplace since I don't own a burner, but do use the fireplace often for getting rid of shipping boxes.

lol, I was thinking more of a public burning in the town square with a priest spreading incease around the fire, while praying outloud. I guess I should have clarified the option. You don't have recycling?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
My two cents on modifying Zalis' rating methods:

Zalis116 wrote:
Worth buying blind

...by standing in the line two days before the first sale in order to get No. 0001 of its serial-numbered limited edition. Two copies if necessary.
No no, three copies, one to archive, one to look at, and one for backup Wink

And of course, I do mean no offense to Randall and all the other non-downloaders out there; it's just a little tongue-in-cheek humor at the practicalities of piracy partaking. And though I didn't use [sarcasm] tags, I certainly don't really mean that "everyone" gets fansubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5