• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Anime Industry Up 10% in 2014

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Can we get some comments from the "the industry is dying in Japan because of moe anime and otaku pandering" people?

On a related note, I hope this means that China can influence what anime gets a second second, because the Japanese don't like Rokka no Yuusha very much, but the Chinese love it. And I want more Rokka no Yuusha anime.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
As long as the Chinese have "Big 'Ol Bags 'O Yen" to hand to the production companies I'm sure they will get all the Rokka that they can handle. Laughing

Mark Gosdin
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Hope this isn't too apples-and-oranges, but for context, Disney's market capitalization is $160 billion, so I guess the entire anime industry is worth about 1/10 of Disney?
noobster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Can we get some comments from the "the industry is dying in Japan because of moe anime and otaku pandering" people?

They can't because these "otaku pandering people" are their primary customers.

Quote:

On a related note, I hope this means that China can influence what anime gets a second second, because the Japanese don't like Rokka no Yuusha very much, but the Chinese love it. And I want more Rokka no Yuusha anime.

I don't like Rokka no Yuusha either, it's just another generic anime adaptation out there to promote the LN. It has also low budget (for me) and yes, MC is just another annoying asf type of person.
Hahalollawl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Hope this isn't too apples-and-oranges, but for context, Disney's market capitalization is $160 billion, so I guess the entire anime industry is worth about 1/10 of Disney?

Not to be rude, but I think Disney does a whole lot more than animation. So you might need more context.
Nooble5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Good to see growth in the Anime Industry. Hope it continues to thrive.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Hahalollawl wrote:
invalidname wrote:

Not to be rude, but I think Disney does a whole lot more than animation. So you might need more context.

Never said they didn't. They also do movies, TV networks, theme parks, etc. But the idea of the entire anime industry fitting in 1/10 of one other company in the wider entertainment biz gives a sense of perspective.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Simply awesome!
chronos02

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice to know where the numbers come from (category), as well as where it comes from (country). The most important market for the anime industry is Japan, so knowing the sales in Japan for the different categories would be nice, as well as what % of the total income comes from merchandise, anime itself, events, etc.

Otherwise... it doesn't tell us anything, it could be that 15% of the whole income for the anime industry is due to China becoming part of the market, but at the same time, it means the whole industry minus 15% would have gone down by 5% compared to last year. Conversely, it could be that China only accounts to 1% of the increase, so the anime market would have gone up by 9%.
pandoraking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
2014 had a LOT of great animes so this news doesnt actually surprise me, but still, GREAT TO HEAR!! i hope this continues on and on <33
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
If I'm reading the numbers here correctly & for the sake of argument I'm ignoring the limitations of said data, this report would indicate the industry has done a decent job of diversifying away from relying on physical sales, since those were significantly down on last year (in terms on units sold/shipped, at least). Of course, not being able to read the report, I don't know how they're measuring value or if they account for the costs of production or how that total amount is split among the various studios & titles. That would be interesting to know.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

It would be nice to know where the numbers come from (category), as well as where it comes from (country). The most important market for the anime industry is Japan, so knowing the sales in Japan for the different categories would be nice, as well as what % of the total income comes from merchandise, anime itself, events, etc.

Otherwise... it doesn't tell us anything, it could be that 15% of the whole income for the anime industry is due to China becoming part of the market, but at the same time, it means the whole industry minus 15% would have gone down by 5% compared to last year. Conversely, it could be that China only accounts to 1% of the increase, so the anime market would have gone up by 9%.

We don't know yet how it is doing in Japan and where the money is coming from and going to (merchandise licenses or animation studios, etc.) The article only mentions:

"The AJA attributes part of this success to merchandise and the sale of streaming rights in China."

But now with China and the value of the yuan tanking, who knows how much those would contribute this year.

Lemonchest wrote:

If I'm reading the numbers here correctly & for the sake of argument I'm ignoring the limitations of said data, this report would indicate the industry has done a decent job of diversifying away from relying on physical sales, since those were significantly down on last year (in terms on units sold/shipped, at least).

To be fair, physical discs are dying everywhere, and Japan is no exception. It's just a matter of how fast or slow.

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Never said they didn't. They also do movies, TV networks, theme parks, etc. But the idea of the entire anime industry fitting in 1/10 of one other company in the wider entertainment biz gives a sense of perspective.

Just to start the "context", Disney owns (among other things) ESPN. In 2011, ESPN paid more money than this report on the entire anime industry for its NFL contract ALONE.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/sports/football/espn-extends-deal-with-nfl-for-15-billion.html?_r=0
(Granted, that deal came out to about $2bil per year, one year later in 2012, they added about $500mil (another half billion) per year for JUST the college football playoffs, plus more than a billion tied up in regular season games, so on football ALONE, ESPN spends close to $4billion)

Oh, and Disney also owns Marvel comics and Star Wars now. So yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all that the anime industry could fit inside that multimedia conglomerate. If you could separate Dreamworks, WarnerBros and Fox animation from their larger conglomerates, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire American animation industry (not counting Disney) is smaller than Disney (Corp) alone.

But also, Market Cap is not REALLY a valid metric for what's being compared. Apple is the largest COMPANY by Market Cap, and yet Android beats Apple for Market SHARE.

Last edited by HeeroTX on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Hideaki Anno must be feeling pretty stupid right now.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
What I see is market value, i.e. money made. What I don't see, however, is money spent. It is all good and well that the market share has grown, but what about the expenses? I feel like there's more to those figures than presented.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4