• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Quick question-Okusama wa Joshi Kousei

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hello, a quick question here, and I also know it's kind of obscure, so if it just disappears off the front page without reply no big deal.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the manga Okusama wa Joshi Kousei ('My Wife, the High School Girl'....yes, it's every bit the literary powerhouse it sounds)? I came across it serialized in Shukan Yangu Janpu/Weekly Young Jump roughly 02/03, and it's a comedy/romance title in an ecchi/light adult vein, highlights being Hiyoko Kobayashi's illustrations.

I had enjoyed the first few collection volumes (which I believe they made into an anime); it moved along in a racier spirit of material such as Shitamichi Madonna Shokudou/Downtown Madonna Cafe. A series to warm the heart and decay the brain cells. However, a later volume suddenly pulled the old Japanese 'like this light comedy?, too bad cause' now it's serious and angsty' standby and the title character, who had been trying to woo her husband for a couple hundred pages, suddenly turned cold on him and strumpeted off with a weird class-mate, killing my interest in the title.

Forward to present, I'm picking up some new manga/anime material this week, and a boatload of volumes of this series is available. It looks like the story went on way past my stopping point, so I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the title knows if it returned to it's light-hearted comedy/romance early run, or stayed with the angst/drama themes? I really liked the artwork, but I really hated where the story went.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I know of the series and started reading it when it first serialized in Young Jump. I have to say that it had an interesting concept to it, spoiler[they're married but she's still in high school, on top of that they can't have sex until she graduates. Well, turns out that part of the case went away, because they did end up having sex somewhere around the third volume or something. Then they had characters come in, like you said, the one macho guy in the wife's class, and the fellow teacher in the husband's class, and the husband cheated on his wife. ]And then I left Japan. I also do wonder what became of the series, since I haven't read it in three years, which is a long time for change to take place.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And then I left Japan. I also do wonder what became of the series, since I haven't read it in three years, which is a long time for change to take place.

It sounds like you read right about to where I was, which corresponds to roughly collection volume 3-4 if I remember. There's just north of 10 volumes now apparently, so shenanigans of some sort have long ensued. To be fair, it's not like the author had crafted 'War and Peace' material to work with, so some emotional spice is going to have to keep interest over a long haul, but I don't like when ecchi yet sweet becomes sleazy and angsty.

Though in a wide take, that seems to be a decently common plot construct in a lot of Japanese romance/comedy/drama vehicles. Start off a few volumes of good-natured, light material, and then have kind of a nonsensical character 180 degree turnaround into extreme emotional turmoil. I noticed a lot of stuff really jarring between extremes.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it seemed that it was trying to get serious or something, because then it seemed almost like spoiler[he raped his own in a way, because he was mad at himself and not thinking about her. ]Maybe I should find a way to get these later volumes.
TSC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
one thing puzzle me though. When I download the 1st and even the second volume, most of the "Chapters" were like 3-4 page color pages. no continuation storyline until end of volume 2. Making it not seem like it had a proper introduction.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
one thing puzzle me though. When I download the 1st and even the second volume, most of the "Chapters" were like 3-4 page color pages. no continuation storyline until end of volume 2. Making it not seem like it had a proper introduction.

When it first started in Weekly Young Jump, it was more of a 'splash panels' kind of deal, a catchy transition piece run between established serial titles. Hiyoko Kobayashi's art was such a hit the title expanded into a proper length romance/drama serialization awhile later, and that transition is what you probably notice.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Since it was run in Young Jump, chances any title will get some color pages is good, since Young Jump has a lot more nice features to it than Shonen Jump. Color pages however is what costs you money when you're buying manga, be it the magazine itself or the tankobon in Japan. Makes it even more expensive over here.
TSC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Quote:

When it first started in Weekly Young Jump, it was more of a 'splash panels' kind of deal, a catchy transition piece run between established serial titles. Hiyoko Kobayashi's art was such a hit the title expanded into a proper length romance/drama serialization awhile later, and that transition is what you probably notice.

Ah I see. so there really were no actual begining "storyline" So kinda hard to start as one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1