• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gets New Anime Project by Production I.G in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
The wait between 2017 and the original announcement from 2014 + the insolvent if IG (only Madhouse is better) means that we may get Yamoto remake levels of animation and production values Very Happy . I have no idea how they will even try to match the legendary original voice cast but we will see and i couldn´t be happier that the best long from anime of all time will get a chance to find a new audience. I love the Death Note anime (it screws up the manga´s second half though) but a new generation will get to see how a tactician protagonist needs to look like as Reinhard von Lohengramm would have put Lelouch on toilet scrubbing duty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
I've wanted to see this series for awhile now, but it is long and rather old so I figured I would wait until the new anime. But 2017 is so far away... Let's hope the extra time allows them to make it awesome. I hope it's as long as the original series.
animemaster1
How'd I get here?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine a remake of the series surpassing the original. It was just too good. And I feel they won't make a remake that does the original justice. But we'll see.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
I think this is somehow an exercise in futility. It's almost mission impossible to top Ishiguro's excellent adaption of the novels, not too mention the talented voice acting and master stroke of using a classical score.

Moreover, let's face it, space opera is not exactly selling like warm bread amongst today's anime viewers (Yamato occupies a special place in this regard due to its popularity back in the day). Unless of course they really do a lot changes to make it more palatable to current tastes. Maybe Julian Minci will become Juliana in the new version and be a gothic loli that calls Yang "oni-chan"?

Having said that, I'm still excited to see this when it comes out.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
A lot of the main cast is still around and still working (except Yang Wenli's voice actor sadly). At least some of them can still be involved.

Still I can't imagine this will be as long as the original. I expect we will be lucky with a year long anime.
Bingal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
I have no idea how they're going to the top the original, especially since most series now are one cour only. They also need to keep the original score and make sure that no obnoxious pandering tripe will clog up the narrative just for the sake of having a ''cat girl'' or ''cute sister.'' Likewise, the voice acting was superb, so for all that's good in the universe, please use the same talented cast or one of the same quality, and without the overdone scenery chewing I see too much in anime nowadays. I'm way too reserved to get all excited about this, but time will tell I guess.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Considering they announced it this far out, I'd imagine this is going to be a massive project. I can't think of any other anime project (besides movie productions) that are announced this far in advance. I've actually never seen the original, but I want to. I guess I've got until 2017 to watch it all.
Fishmoose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Whoa. Like others have already said, I doubt they can beat the original, but I'm still pretty stoked about this.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
A lot of the main cast is still around and still working (except Yang Wenli's voice actor sadly). At least some of them can still be involved.

Still I can't imagine this will be as long as the original. I expect we will be lucky with a year long anime.

Oberstein's VA (Kaneto Shiozawa) is also dead. And also a number of minor characters' voice actors.
But obviously, a lot of voice actors, who were in the first series will appear in other roles in the new series, since there's a lot of characters. Arslan Senki, for example, have a number of voice actors, who also appeared in the previous adaptation (the funniest one - VA, who played Rajendra's father in the new series, played Rajendra himself in the OVA).
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
molibdaenum wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:

Kitty Film wasn't really an animation studio; they were more like GENCO, a production company that hired animation studios for their projects.
Here you can see a detailed list of LOGH episodes and the animation studios who worked on it (under the 制作協力 credit):
LOGH Japanese Wikipedia page
You can see that Madhouse and Artland were majorly responsible for Part 1. Then Madhouse left the project and Artland and Magic Bus continued until the end. It is interesting to see that Shaft joined the project in Part 4.

Still Artland wasn't the main studio, just a subcontractor. That's what I mean. And they didn't do all the OVAs just a part of them.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I've wanted to see this series for awhile now, but it is long and rather old so I figured I would wait until the new anime. But 2017 is so far away... Let's hope the extra time allows them to make it awesome. I hope it's as long as the original series.

Quality wise I still find the original quite good, But as you mentioned its too long, Personally I got bored at the end.. Rather than this I would like to see the rest of Tytania getting animated ( I believe the story didn't end )
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Super glad Production I.G is handling the animation but the director and new voice actors are my only concerns. Wonder if they plan on treating the series the same way as GITS Arise or the new Space Battleship Yamato as a film series? As a television series, it wouldn't be wise to limit it to 26-52 episodes unless they scrap chunks of characters, events, and backstories.

Not too mention that the series goes back and forth with interior conflicts Yang and Reinhard have to face within their respective nations and the overall battle between the Galactic Empire and Free Planets Alliance.

For possible returning cast members who are still active there's Kazuhiko Inoue as Dusty, Keiko Han as Annreose, and of course Norio Wakamoto as Reuenthal. They are just a few VAs that I would love to see reprise their roles.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I am stoked, though the long wait is going to suck.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Modern anime fans wouldn't have the patience
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Modern anime fans wouldn't have the patience

Or, this show could teach it to them. Wink
But...

KutovoiAnton wrote:
I'm both excited and scared about this remake.
One thng for sure: new staff and cast have a VERY difficult task.
I especially don't envy composer, though. It's hard to compete with guys like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Chopin, Dvořák, etc.

Neko-sensei wrote:
Well, the original adaptation made it through all of the source material, so this is clearly Production I.G. doing their own thing.

That said, Legend of the Galactic Heroes really, really needed 162 episodes plus two out of its three movies to tell its story. So far as I'm concerned, Ishiguro's adaptation is probably the most impressive feat of storytelling in Japanese animation: always gripping, thought-provoking, internally consistent (okay, yes, except for Golden Wings, nitpickers, but that wasn't Ishiguro), easy-to-follow, and often shockingly moving, there's absolutely nothing else on the same scale that forms such a perfect unity.

Quality animation is always nice, but I have a really hard time imaging how production I.G. can add anything to the animated form of this splendidly operatic tale. It would be a flat-out impossibility to cover the story in anything less than fifty or sixty episodes, and that'd still involve cutting huge swaths of narrative—meaning that the best I can hope for here is a "greatest hits" compilation of the most impressive battles (Eighth Battle of Iserlohn, I'm looking at you) devoid of the political insight that made the original so great.

I agree, but I'm not concerned; at any case we would still have the best anime ever made (the original LotGH adaptation).

Cyclone1993 wrote:

Go see it now. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3