• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Do I Do With All These Bootleg DVDs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
If they're really terrible, take screenshots and post them online. At least that way you'll get some laughs out of it.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hey Justin, thanks for answering my question!

And to the guys above who've been asking me why I don't just keep them... well... my tastes have changed and I'm trying to be a little more minimalist with my possessions these days. Keeping movies in binders, reading e-books rather than carting around hardbacks, that sort of thing. It's a pain to move with boxes and boxes of stuff I don't want any more, I quite regularly give stuff away to thrift shops or libraries, but it's simply not an option with these DVDs.

(When I mean my tastes have changed... just imagine embarrassing anime fan with poor taste and that was me as a teenager.)

I must have had some bizarrely lucky streak, because my bootleg DVDs are nowhere near VHS quality - they're just okay, nothing great, nothing terrible - and came with dub-titles. Aside from the one Ouran High School Host Club box set (my dad got this after I finished watching the fansubs and asked him for it) with an incomprehensible, mangled script where Tamaki and co's names were in Chinese/Pinyin, I've had good luck, I guess, as far as you can call it that.

Of course, the legal product is superior, I would never debate that. I've replaced nearly everything from my anime days that I still like with the bona fide DVDs. But the ones I don't like... yeah. I just want them off of my hands, and I'm definitely going to look into DVD recycling. And if not, then one guy upthread had a good idea for bird distractors. Very Happy

Also, sorry if it seemed like I wanted to pass on a shoddy product to somebody else. I meant it as in... the methods I'd usually go for - selling or giving away to charity/libraries - wouldn't work for a bootleg.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Misopup wrote:
Drill a small hole near one edge. Thread some fishing line through and tie it off. Hang you creation from the limb of a tree you don't want birds in. Repear until you either have enough bird deterrents in the tree, or you've run out of DVDs.

I remember back in the day when using the discs as bird scarers was the preferred method of disposal for all the AOL CDs that seemed to come with everything. Very Happy
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I took my old bootleg stuff to Goodwill, not my problem anymore. They sell advance copy books with "NOT FOR SALE!!!!" plastered all over them, so I doubt they give a hoot about bootlegged cartoons.

I'm sure they made some ignorant 13-year-old happy. Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
You need a field, a shotgun & a friend with a strong throwing arm.

Skeet shooting! Very Happy
JDude042

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj_QU64FMs {This video is NSFW. ~nobahn}

This is what you do with your bootleg discs. Laughing
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I remember briefly glancing at an upload of 'subbed' One Piece a decade ago. As I recall, they translated Sanji's name as "Sunkist'.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I can ever get rid of my bootleg Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs. They're full of so many memories of my friends and I making fun of the terrible subtitles.

But I too have faced the issue of what to do with my many other bootlegs. I gave my Gundam Wing bootlegs to a friend (They were surprisingly good quality - the translation was mostly fine and I actually liked the video color better than the official R1 release, which looks like they might have tried to brighten it up. No dub though.) and I think I sold some others at a garage sale after I eventually replaced them with the official releases.

I see A LOT of them at used video stores, but I can't bring to sell mine knowing some poor, unsuspecting anime fan might end up paying more for my crap bootlegs used than I paid for them on ebay back in the day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the last paragraph; recycling them -- and maybe getting some kind of a financial incentive, like a X%-off coupon, or a small refund/deposit -- is generally the best way, since it both helps to keep the environment a little bit cleaner, and it helps to reduce the amount of bootlegs.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I still keep some bootlegs around, mostly older mecha titles like Gold Lightan that have yet to receive either an official release or actual fansubs. If nothing else it's fun to laugh at the crabstick subs. Most of the bootleg titles that I mistakenly bought early in my collecting career though make for very nice drink coasters.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The only bootleg discs I've ever received were a high school graduation present that, while I appreciated the sentiment behind them, I couldn't wait to replace with legit discs. I didn't need much convincing to to throw out the bootlegs when I could get the platinum edition of Evangelion's single discs for about $7 a piece.

Maybe thing have improved, but I also learned early on to just steer clear of ebay. I think what made me highly skeptical was finding really cheap prices on Cowboy Bebop sets that also were listed as having three discs when I knew Bandai's release had six.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I have Fist of the North Star bootleg DVD boxes. What do I do with them? Well, I do plan on getting that complete series edition Discotek put out, but I will keep the bootlegs as well just for hilarious subs. Luckily I learned my lesson quickly after I got them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Here's a couple good pages to look at if you don't know if something's a bootleg or not. The second one also covers anime toys, posters, t-shirts, etc. Apparently bootleg Totoro plushies are very common!
http://anime.about.com/od/animecollectibles/ht/bootlegdvd.htm
http://www.otakunews.com/piratefaq.php

Bootleg fansub VHS tapes apparently used to be THE way to watch most anime. Some tapes were copied from like 4th or 5th generation copies and looked pretty crappy! They didn't make money though, because they only charged for the blank tape and discontinued operations when a show was licensed.

I don't have any bootleg DVDs, but my brother did get decks of bootleg Yu-Gi-Oh! cards that were being sold at the dollar store. Man, those things were crappy! He also unsuspectingly got a bootleg copy of Pokemon Fire Red from Hong Kong that stopped working, and eventually bought a legit copy. South East Asia is notorious for bootleg products. I don't think copyright law is too enforced there. Also bootlegs are common for OOP series. It got really bad for Sailor Moon, especially Sailor Stars, where Amazon and Ebay were overstocked with bootleg copies for both. Nowadays with streaming and digital piracy, I don't think bootleg DVDs are too common anymore. At least with torrents, you're not giving MONEY to pirates!

I suggest just trashing them. Some paper shredders will also shred discs. That's what we did for those AOL discs and random PC demo discs that came with cereal boxes and the like.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I have one bootleg, the first Naruto film. I remember my friend had the bootleg a long time ago and it had hilariously bad subtitles. I saw a bootleg at a video store 1 or 2 years ago and bought it, hoping it would have the same subs. Lo and behold I was greeted with the familiar sight of Purple Mingren, who wanted to be the greatest Naruto of all time. The actual video and audio quality is fine, so I'm not gonna replace it. I also have a Blood the Last Vampire dvd that I am more iffy about. The case and disc are fine, the video and audio quality is solid, it has all of the Manga logos and special features (and they play fine). It is just the small Capitol Records logo on the spine (that I don't see on other dvds) and slightly blurred disc art that worries me. I'm keeping it though: I like the movie but not enough to double dip, and everything works fine.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
If you don't have a trash compactor nearby, more often than not, there's the local recycling center that will take those bootleg disks and crush them to bits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7