• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
User rating: Worst ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G. Zeus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:09 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
One thing I do wish would be that we could just delete accounts that hadn't been logged in in over 6 months or something.... just some sort of way to deal with those junk accounts whose sole purpose is to trash shows.

EDIT: darn, Zalis snuck in there

(... wait.... "snuck" isn't a word? I guess I've never written it down before and it looks totally wrong but... "sneaked"? No way, "snuck" is now a word, I declare it so.)

"Snuck" is the past tense of "sneak". Some spellchecking software are just incomplete. For example, "dialogue" is also underlined in my browser when I type it. Confused

As for deleting accounts, using the duration of inactivity alone as the basis might be a complicated issue since many viewers/readers go on hiatus when they feel that there's nothing worth watching/reading at the moment or when things get busy IRL. Besides, a dedicated asshole could simply throw in a few more "worst ever" ratings every month or so, just to keep the competition down.

Sidenote: Meh. YKK had 6 "worst ever" ratings for over a year and it suddenly jumps to 11 in the span of 2 or 3 days. (-__-)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
It makes plenty of sense that the average rating falls closer to 7.5 than to 5. An overall average rating of 5 (with 5 meaning an absolutely average quality/enjoyability show) would mean that people are watching as many bad shows as good ones, something that doesn't make sense. If people believe that they won't enjoy a show ahead of time, they're less likely to watch it, and if they don't watch it, they can't (honestly) rate it, so many low-end shows won't have as many ratings as the better shows.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
I personally think a 10-point system is unnecessarily complex as far as rating media goes. A more basic 3 or 4-point scale would work better in my opinion, similar to the one at Anime Mikomi (where the scale is split into Buy, Rent, Watch, and Avoid.) I buy most of the anime I watch, and when I'm looking into a purchase candidate, it has to meet a fixed level of expectation or I don't shell out for it. If I'm looking at a 10-point scale, I'm not going to split hairs on if the title got an overall 7 or 8, I'm just looking at how the points are spread to get a feel for the general opinion of the show. A 10-point scale also complicates the process for people submitting votes, since subjectivity can and will throw votes by a 1-2 point margin either way between two people who have similar feelings about a show. Using Anime Mikomi's scale as an example, it forces voters to objectively say what degree of investment they believe a title is worth, and at the end of the day, that's what matters most.

I agree that the ten point system is a little much. Between Worst Ever and Descent the adjectives are pretty much the same. The problem with "Buy, Rent, Watch, etc" there isn't much of a difference between liking something and loving something when one buys something. I think maybe changing it to five points that way the adjectives aren't the same.
roujin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
I've only used the Worst Ever rating once. The reason I used it was because the anime in question drew such an unpleasant reaction from me. I was literally filled with rage when it ended. I have no clue as to why it made me feel like that only that it did. The Worst Ever rating is just to note what I believe to be the anime that I've disliked the most. If I ever come across something that I can hate more, I might change the rating of the previous anime.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
One thing I noticed about the user ratings is that the bar graph doesn't alway correspond to the numbers. Like for A Girl Who Runs Through Timethere are more than twice as many worst ever votes (how can anyone rate this worst ever?) as very good votes but the bar for very good is 4 times longer than the worst ever bar.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
One thing I noticed about the user ratings is that the bar graph doesn't alway correspond to the numbers. Like for A Girl Who Runs Through Timethere are more than twice as many worst ever votes (how can anyone rate this worst ever?) as very good votes but the bar for very good is 4 times longer than the worst ever bar.
That's part of the system's measures to defeat ratings spamming. If a user tends to vote a lot of things Masterpiece or a lot of things Worst Ever, their "trustworthiness" percentage goes down and their votes have less effect on the ratings and the bar lengths. I believe this is explained in one of the threads I linked to.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Huh? What? Shocked

Are you trying to say that we're not suppose to have an honest, differentiating opinion?

Are you saying that that "the Emperor is wearing his clothing" when, in actuality, he is, indeed, as naked as a newborn child? He could be so ugly that it repulses other emperors.

I'm just trying to figure out the logic here. Laughing

I always thought the "like - hate" range had always been wide. That it's okay to like something 95%, hate something else 95%, and be on the fence for the rest. I didn't realize that we're now suppose to be "the People's Republic of China" in terms of how we should rate the anime we watch or, in some case, we thought we could watch but couldn't because of what we end up seeing.

Also: I like the current system ANN has when it comes to "viewer's input." No spamming, no ballet box stuffing, none of that. Just "what did you see?" "Some or all?" "1 to 10?" "How you saw it?" That's more than it.

I, myself, had seen a large share of anime I had labeled between "good" and "weak." Most of them are mainly adult anime titles. But nobody should use the term "work of art" so flippantly.

In fact, you should be proud that there are still human beings in this hobby known as anime-watching. Anyone that proclaims "Haruhi's Melancholy" a "work of art;" I'll show 'em a picture of Haruhi getting socked by Kyon from a fan-made doujin. Anybody who still belives Athrun Zala is as popular as $unrise says he is; I'll show 'em the supposedly non-existant rant from Yousuke Kabashima and my big list of GSD WTH.

As a matter of fact, that's what I always do. Razz
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
samuraiwalt wrote:

That's part of the system's measures to defeat ratings spamming. If a user tends to vote a lot of things Masterpiece or a lot of things Worst Ever, their "trustworthiness" percentage goes down and their votes have less effect on the ratings and the bar lengths. I believe this is explained in one of the threads I linked to.

Would people who have seen all have a stronger "trustworthiness" than those who have seen some? I guess spammers have to rate anime as "bad" or "awful" now to make their sabotaging skills count.

From "Weighted Average" explaination

Quote:
Titles with less than 4 votes are removed from the listing but are still counted in the ranking. This explains why there are gaps in the "#" column. The rating is an average of the scores given by voters, weighted to give less importance to users who tend to only rate very high or very low.

From "Bayesian Average" Explaination:

Quote:
This rating only includes titles that have at least 19 votes. The bayesian estimate is a statistical technique used to reduce the noise due to low sample counts. In effect, the less a title has votes, the more it is pulled towards the mean (7.4485). In other words, these are the titles that many people agree are great.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how Seen All / Seen Some affects the ratings for individual anime. Afaik the trustworthiness rating takes into account all the votes from a user's account, and from there that user's votes' influence on the anime that they rate.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
I personally think ratings, of any kind, should not determine whether one should check out a title they're interested in or not. After all, nobody's gonna agree over what Anime (or dub) is the best or worst. The internet is not always a reliable tool to gauge opinions about anything, especially when not everybody who's an Anime fan spends time on the boards trolling around.

-Jon T.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
I've watched several shows now that I might have not taken another look at (ex: Aishiteruze Baby) because they had very good ratings here at ANN. Generally if a lot of people think something is good, there generally has to be a reason why, and it's because it really is good. No, not everyone agrees and ratings and reviews are not the end all be all of deciding to watch anime, but it does give you an idea of what the better stuff out there is or might get you interested in something you might have not else watched or read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vylo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
My only worst ever vote went to SD gundam.

Bad visual, bad sound, bad characters, bad....plot? (was there really much of one?).

I felt like burning my eyes out just from watching one episode.

No other piece of anime out there has earned that much rancor from me, mainly because of this site, which alerts me to when I am at risk of stumbling onto a glorious piece of garbage.

In general, I rank anime pretty high, which is understandable. You aren't going to watch something rated low very often, or something you suspect you will hate.

The ratings average is 7.44, which is a good level. If it was below 5, that would mean we had quite a masochist streak in us, watching more anime we disliked then liked. If it was 9 or higher, I would suspect heavy drug use, and some damn good drugs at that Razz.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I've watched several shows now that I might have not taken another look at (ex: Aishiteruze Baby) because they had very good ratings here at ANN. Generally if a lot of people think something is good, there generally has to be a reason why, and it's because it really is good. No, not everyone agrees and ratings and reviews are not the end all be all of deciding to watch anime, but it does give you an idea of what the better stuff out there is or might get you interested in something you might have not else watched or read.

Eveyone has a different taste. Take Lucky Star something rated high for instance, some people are in love with that anime some people rather watch paint dry. Just because something is rated high doesn't mean everyone should watch it. Reviews are just one persons opinion and aren't absolute, but one gets the idea of the target audience and what the storyline is.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
vylo wrote:
My only worst ever vote went to SD gundam. Bad visual, bad sound, bad characters, bad....plot? (was there really much of one?). I felt like burning my eyes out just from watching one episode.

No other piece of anime out there has earned that much rancor from me, mainly because of this site, which alerts me to when I am at risk of stumbling onto a glorious piece of garbage.

There are two version of "SD Gundam" out there. Which one is it? The old one? Or "Superior Defender?" Wink
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, despite SD Gundam Force being currently the worst anime on the site, it still has 5 "masterpiece" ratings, which I find funny. I haven't seen the show, myself, but I just wanted to point out that it's not only "worst ever" that causes problems.

Anyway, what if we were to rate anime like we would a test at school? Just about everyone has been to school at one point or another and is familiar with the system (though it might be different in different places). We can have both the number and letter grade on a 100 point scale, like this:

97-100 A+
93-96 A
90-92 A
87-89 B+
83-86 B
80-82 B-
77-79 C+
73-76 C
70-72 C-
67-69 D+
63-66 D
60-62 D-
0-50 F

Or an alternate lower quarter (approx) of the scale:

65-69 D
0-64 F

Like that, people would have both numbers and letters to help them choose a rating. Also, it'd be easier to understand the meaning of each rating because most people should be familiar with the school grading: A is really good, B is good, C is average, D is bad, and F is really bad. Within that, there are all the subdivisions with the + and - signs to help pinpoint a more accurate rating. The ranges would also allow people with more varied views of the rating system to still pick the same ones. A+ could be for anything from "perfect" to "amazing" or "excellent" anime and manga. F could be anything from "really crappy" or "horrible" to "complete and utter garbage" anime and manga. And if you were to display the results, the short-hand display could break the votes down to just A, B, C, D, and F, for those who like less specific results, and the long-hand display could show everything, for those who like more specific results: A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, (D+,) D, (D-,) and F.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5