• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show -The Worst Anime of All Time

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Kodomo no Omocha - I can sort of see that one as its second season was so full of contradictions and filler that it killed its own dubbing process.

Reading between the lines, it was killed by nothing more or less than a someone in Japan saving face over a failure in communication.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
alorian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The most insanely awful anime I ever saw was Alakazam the Great-- the English dub adaptation of the 1960's Saiyuki movie that was based on the Tezuka manga My Son Goku. It was on netflix a while back, and I couldn't even finish it. I think I still have giant smoking holes in my brain from the cells that were destroyed while watching that. Maybe the original is a masterpiece! But the adaptation is like animated Vorgon poetry with monkeys, as sung by Frankie Avalon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alakazam_the_Great
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I remember Cyber Team in Akihabara. The only reason I know anything about it is because I encountered an incredibly irate fan of the show on YouTube, though not about the show itself but about the writing quality of Sonic games, and any explanations needed a source straight from the horse's mouths--no secondary sources or below allowed. (Not their gameplay--he never criticized anything about the gameplay.) He seemed to harbor a grudge against SEGA the size of Jupiter and had no interest in anything made after the mid-90's.

I can't say anything about the worst anime ever, as I don't really watch that many obscure anime, but I do remember seeing the first episode of Brain Powerd and getting some good laughs out of it. That was the one where the pilots entered their robots through their crotches and some kid is obsessed with tomatoes for no reason, right?

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
For recent examples, I'd go with Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi. I mean, just look at the PV and tell me the people making it didn't treat it as a joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnOgYboulfI

Oh, wow, the out-of-place panty shots here reminds me of Bizarre Jelly 5, which was Suda51's PARODY show-within-a-game from No More Heroes 2.

penguintruth wrote:
The worst anime I've ever seen is Virus Buster Serge, an anime that combines Bubblegum Crisis, Evangelion, and clumsy, pretentious, ham-fisted naval-gazing.

I described its convoluted dialogue and needless overreaching symbolism as "It's like if Grant Morrison teamed up with Chiaki Konaka to adapt Finnegans Wake into a movie directed by David Lynch".

It sounds like a hipster's favorite movie. Or an intellectual's (with or without quotation marks).

Onrack wrote:
So far the worst I've seen is 'Blame'. It was incomprehensible, and not in a good way like FLCL or Cat Soup. I ended up with a headache and the desire for a strong drink.

From what I've heard, the anime for Blame! is meant to be a companion for the manga. Otherwise, it becomes completely incomprehensible.

kazenoyume wrote:
In order to feel an emotion as strong as hate I need to have some form of emotional investment in the first place. Whether that's because of potential, characters, the staff being excellent, or some other form of expectation. I really hate Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 but I'd never call it the worst anime of all time or even close to it because the reason I dislike it so strongly is because I liked it at first and hated what it became in later episodes. Obviously if I liked it so much at first, it's nowhere near the 'worst anime ever' (even if yeah, I don't get the hype).

That's interesting, because I disliked the beginning of it but grew to like it more late into the series. (I prefer Brotherhood though.)

Hyperdrve wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Japan has entire magazines decided to that stuff(i.e comic LO)

Still, that doesn't really explain its appeal.

Japanese men like their romantic interests young. There's little distinction between a "cute girl" and a "sexy girl."

There's probably something about western romance stories that comes up often that many Japanese find disturbing, but I wouldn't know.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
Wait. There's a popular manga/anime about pedophilia?

As I explained earlier, Kodomo no Jikan is not "about" paedophilia, in that that's simply not a subject the work talks about or deals with; it's "about" teaching, childhood and maturity and the dramatic, humorous and erotic consequences of one child's inappropriate attraction and actions towards her teacher. It's a series in the style of lolicon, which you would need to quite new to anime to be surprised exists or think Kodomo no Jikan is anything more than a particularly well-known example of.

There are works about paedophilia, or a paedophile, one of which is a classic of English-language fiction. Why shouldn't a work of fiction be allowed to be "about" any subject, anyway? That's silly.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
By far the worst anime I've ever seen is Lime-Iro Senkitan.

I stumbled upon this series by chance, it's basically an anime version of the Russo Japanese war but fought with cute sailor girls, I certainly wasn't expecting anything great but nothing could have prepared me for how horrendous it was, I mean it was some truly next level crap.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
@jymmy: Yes I know about lolicon but I never thought it would have any mainstream acceptance. I guess you can argue that it's because of a difference in cultures, but still.

Joe Carpenter wrote:
By far the worst anime I've ever seen is Lime-Iro Senkitan.

I stumbled upon this series by chance, it's basically an anime version of the Russo Japanese war but fought with cute sailor girls, I certainly wasn't expecting anything great but nothing could have prepared me for how horrendous it was, I mean it was some truly next level crap.

At least it has a nice hook.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Bakugan. Bobobobo-bobo
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
@Hyperdrve: I wouldn't say it has mainstream acceptance. This title was adapted into a (late-night) TV anime, but then so is a lot of stuff. Magazines exist, but then so do they for a lot of stuff. If you try and tell the average Japanese person you're a fan of lolicon anime and manga, you won't get a very good reception.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:

At least it has a nice hook.

Exactly, it was that hook that made me check it out in the first place, but despite the interesting premise it was unwatchable.

One of the girls constantly screams and cries, which I guess was supposed to be "moe" but was instead unbelievably [expletive] annoying and made me want to throw her off a cliff.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
intothenight wrote:

And seriously, protagonist, buy some professional clothes. What kind of defense attorney deliberately antagonizes the judge because they want to feel comfortable?

Honestly, I thought that all the females were terribly dressed. Sure Cecil was bad, but the others weren't that well off either. Hell, I thought some were on par with, if not worse than, her clothing-wise.

Moving on, having seen more than my fair share of anime. I've developed a tolerance towards some of the lesser ones out there. But I have never liked Galilei Donna. The big problem I had with the series was how wasted the series felt in the long run. Sure the art, animation and annoying one-dimensional characters helped contribute to it. But nothing offended me more than just how many missed opportunities the series could have had, yet didn't. The time travel aspect was shoehorned in with no meaning to the plot beyond "Let's give the main character a forced love interest. And let's make him Galileo, but as a boy!". The other girls had little to no weight to the plot beyond Anna's sudden turn to good, with no further mention of her being a hired assassin. Roberto's motives just end up as boring, "take over the company though any means" bullcrap. The air pirates could easily have been the main villains, but get sidelined for most of the story, while we follow four generic girls going on a treasure hunt.

And that's before getting into the ending and how open ended the damn thing is. And the fact that Roberto's arrested not for trying to kill four girls, not for trying to kill the main girls' mother, not for the mass genocide of an entire village, but for stabbing his own father just made me beyond enraged.

I did read somewhere that the series was cut down from 20 episodes. Which may explain some things, like the lack of character development and motives, the poor pacing and the open ending. But why they thought this series was suited for Noitamina in the first place is beyond me. Why couldn't they just split it down the middle and have two seasons? Or better yet, why even pitch it to the block?

Tr;dl- it had some form of potential, but squandered it almost immediately.

As an honorable mention, I nominate Panty & Stocking. Between its hollow, imitation-brand humor, godawful art and animation and cop out of an ending, topped with the two most unlikable protags I've ever seen in a series. I came out with less expectations than I did when I entered (which wasn't a whole lot to begin with).
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle... nothing happens, except I lost the time it took me to watch 50 episodes.

I would disqualify Tsubasa from the running simply because of the music. Tsubasa's OST marks some of Yuki Kajiura's finest work to date. Granted, it was wasted on such an ugly flat mess of an adaptation, but I stand my point.
MarthaC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
alorian wrote:
The most insanely awful anime I ever saw was Alakazam the Great-- the English dub adaptation of the 1960's Saiyuki movie that was based on the Tezuka manga My Son Goku.

That movie was on a lot when I was a kid, but even as a kid I knew at one point that something was up when (English version) the Buddha was called a king and the Goddess of Mercy was his wife! But the movie did crazy stuff on its own by putting in some mythic Greek hero and giving the Monkey King a girl friend.

I also vote for the following: Fushigi Yugi, Gilamesh and Wedding Peach
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Viewtiful Joe anime, in my opinion. Nuff said,
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
no kidding. how anyone doesnt like those series is beyond me. i would understand if its the 2006 DEEN version since most type moon fans don't like it,even though a lot of fans in the US,especially when it comes to that dub version do like the 2006 TV series for multiple reasons,myself included.

Zero is pretty easy to like, but UBW? It had some pretty glaring problems to pick on.
Sure nothing to be considered close to one of the worst animes ever, but still.

i agree. however hardcore type moon fans are their main cash cow which is why they made an anime TV series of UBW instead of heavens feel. and zero is more or less faithful towards the VN. though yea, definitely not the worse anime ever, however there are fans who will immediately label it shuch if its based off of an ero light novel or visual novel like FSN , shuffle or sister princess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
azhanei wrote:
Familiar of Zero: I'm not easily offended. I may not like something, but I'm not offended. This show managed to offend me, because slavery by another name is supposed to be charming and the basis of a star-crossed love story.

I don't think your opinion is necessarily wrong, but I liked the first season because of its interesting male protagonist, so I think we're going to disagree. (Haven't seen the later seasons mostly out of fear of disappointment)

I'd also argue it's a matter of perception. I thought the familiars (Saito included) were essentially Pokemon as opposed to indentured servants.

Either way, I suggest you don't watch DearS, but that's just good life advice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15