• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Overlord is definitely much closer to Log Horizon than SAO.

Mainly because I can actually sit through an episode of Log Horizon or Overlord without wanting to bash my skull in from all the stupid. Mad

Curiously, I get this same feeling when dealing with SAO haters. Rolling Eyes

This should be sent to every SAO hater out there. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
^^Goodbye and good riddance to you too. Laughing

danpmss wrote:
Why that, then?

Because I don't see the point of writing it into the story and because of the chance that the author from the LNs ends up taking a metaphorical dump on his readers and then tries to pass it off as "art".

He... what? That makes no sense.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
That's when an author does something unpopular and out of the blue like, for example, a bad ending. I've started to question the author's priorities. If you want to keep watching the anime then that's fine. If I or someone else wants to stop watching the anime for whatever reason then that's dandy as well. That's also the point I'm trying to make.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
That's when an author does something unpopular and out of the blue like, for example, a bad ending. I've started to question the author's priorities. If you want to keep watching the anime then that's fine. If I or someone else wants to stop watching the anime for whatever reason then that's dandy as well. That's also the point I'm trying to make.

But how is this unpopular? Not to mention is was revealed in early in the novel. I also don't really see how the twins looking like the oppose the gender is related to the novels maybe getting a bad ending?
I'm not really following you.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Basically anyone is allowed to get offended by anything these days. I could say that I'm leaving the anime as a pre-emptive move in case the author does something stupid. It's my democratic right to be able to do this.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
Basically anyone is allowed to get offended by anything these days. I could say that I'm leaving the anime as a pre-emptive move in case the author does something stupid. It's my democratic right to be able to do this.

Then I think the question would be why you are still posting in here. If you want to drop this then leave already.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Then I think the question would be why you are still posting in here. If you want to drop this then leave already.

I don't think there's a rule in this site that states that you can't write negative things about an anime. There are many examples in this site where users give seemingly superficial reasons for disliking an anime. As far as I know, I can still post in this thread although I'd prefer not to. And I'm sure you have some other "Overlord" related things to stay on topic about.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
I don't think there's a rule in this site that states that you can't write negative things about an anime. There are many examples in this site where users give seemingly superficial reasons for disliking an anime. As far as I know, I can still post in this thread although I'd prefer not to. And I'm sure you have some other "Overlord" related things to stay on topic about.

So you will stay in this thread, not watch anymore of the episodes, but continue to write negative and criticizing things about it. Rolling Eyes I hope I'm getting this right.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Just finished re-watching both episodes 1 and 2. I love this show. Personally, I hope no other players came over, but perhaps it is unrealistic to believe that Momonga was the only player that waited until the end.

Perhaps another player might be more unhappy being trapped in a fantasy world. Who might think destroying the world is a good punishment for those who trapped them.

Though with the introduction of the white uniformed soldiers at the end of episode two, this might be a bit of a turnaround where the monsters are the saviors of the world, against those pesky evil humans.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Like Merida, I too felt this was too much of a shameless male power fantasy, but unlike her (?), it didn't tickle my fancy in any way. It had some good points, I did find the contrast between Momonga's "boss" voice and his actual thoughts to be quite funny, but it wasn't enough fun to balance out how annoying it was to spend 20 whole minutes watching people lick the ground he walks on and worship his every breath. That the two main female characters -not counting Aura since she's technically a child- spend half of the episode arguing over who's going to give birth to his babies was like... ugh. Albedo's infatuation was already bothersome in episode 1, but in ep 2 and coupled with whatsherface vampire-girl it became too much. I'm dropping this one.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:

You are correct that there is no rule against it. Using an anime's discussion/review thread to continue to dog on it even though you aren't watching it is irritating, however, and can give the impression that you are just trying to provoke people if you go too far with it. That is definitely not acceptable.

Now, if you were watching every episode and still hating on it, well, that would still be tedious and annoying, but at least you're showing a legitimate reason for being/posting there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I mean, people here are complaining about traps, when the story doesn't even pay attention to it. An "empowering male figure", when in the Guild, there were girls that were AS POWERFUL AS HIM. Guys, there's a reason why it's named Overlord. It just means that he is [expletive] POWERFUL, and nothing compares to his strength. You know who else was like that? EVERYONE IN THE GUILD. Shalltear and Albedo acting all lovey-dovey with him: Shalltear is a NECROPHILIAC. Yes. She [expletive] corpses. And he's a [expletive] skeleton. I mean, the fact that every NPC worships him (and the members of the guild) also overlaps with her sex drive, so that's why she's like that. And Albedo GOT HER SETTING CHANGED. Here's another detail: every NPC has a weird setting. There's a reason why the NPCs and the guild members are not humans. That's because IT'S BORING

I mean, sure. People can drop this show. Can talk bad about it. Can do whatever the [expletive] they want, but when you're misinterpreting the reason behind your complain, then you're the one in the wrong, not the show/work of the author
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:

So you can't even bring up valid criticism?
I really don't care what you watch or do not watch, assuming people do is rather arrogant.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Hyperdrve wrote:

I really don't care what you watch or do not watch, assuming people do is rather arrogant.

Hyperdrve is not going to quit watching. He has too much invested in the show to do that.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Hyperdrve is not going to quit watching. He has too much invested in the show to do that.

No. I'm serious about dropping this show even if it's wasteful. If I were to apologize it would be just to the person writing the reviews because the thread got derailed for the moment. In my initial post I just wanted to report my status with the show.

I think I should also point out that I'm not looking to continue this conversation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16