• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What exactly do you mean by this? It sounds like you've fallen into the trap of believing a stereotype.

Oops. Don't worry, I know that not all Republicans and/or Christians are psychotic; its just the extremists that have given the lot a bad name (Hey, just like the smelly nerds! Razz), whom I've heard more about than these days than the non-extremists (I watch a lot of "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report", you see).

I'm sorry if anyone found this offensive.

Last edited by DRWii on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Also, just for personal curiousity, how the hell do 8 people even fit into a most hotel rooms? I feel cramped in a hotel room with just one other person. Also, don't the hotels have rules against having that many people in a room? (Wouldn't it qualify as some sort of fire hazard?) Confused

Some hotel's have regulations where they won't let more than four people in a room. Where would everyone sleep? I guess the floor, but seems too crowded.

Quote:

The rant:

Hmmmm.....A con that doesn't say those things smell worst. A con that do smells less. A con that gives out free axe samples is PERFECT! I mean college get 'em all the time. How hard could it be. I agree with cons putting it out there.

Agreed, they should give out free soap samples (maybe with anime pictures on the paper) for people to get the picture. Or, free hose down in the parking lot! lol hilbilly style!
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Berserkfury819 wrote:

I knew Vic was Christian, but I didn't know he was Republican. I looked at his site and didn't find anything political. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Whatever, this is America and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thats why America is awesome.

http://www.vicsworld.net/images/graphicdesign/grinch.jpg

For the record, I never said he was Republican, just that he had this sort of thing on his site. That accompanied by the Spider-man font bible quotes kinda makes me think he just might be one, though. It's not too big a leap to make but you never know.

I see. Actually that banner is pretty funny. And I can understand the thought that Christian usually =Republican, but like Zac said, you never know. Maybe he just doesn't like Al Gore. I'm not trying to miss quote you though Zac and if I am/did, sorry, I'm not trying too. Back to anime. Apparently at Comic Con Matt Greenfield said there was some progress with the live action Eva. Anybody have any idea what it is?
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
Zac wrote:

For the record, I never said he was Republican, just that he had this sort of thing on his site. That accompanied by the Spider-man font bible quotes kinda makes me think he just might be one, though. It's not too big a leap to make but you never know.

I see. Actually that banner is pretty funny. And I can understand the thought that Christian usually =Republican, but like Zac said, you never know. Maybe he just doesn't like Al Gore. I'm not trying to miss quote you though Zac and if I am/did, sorry, I'm not trying too. Back to anime. Apparently at Comic Con Matt Greenfield said there was some progress with the live action Eva. Anybody have any idea what it is?

Here in Canada, we make fun of all politics wheather we like them or not. He could like Al gore, just thought this was funny. Meh, who cares if he's right-winged and religious, everyone has their own beliefs and opinions.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Also, just for personal curiousity, how the hell do 8 people even fit into a most hotel rooms? I feel cramped in a hotel room with just one other person. Also, don't the hotels have rules against having that many people in a room? (Wouldn't it qualify as some sort of fire hazard?) Confused
Oh, you'd be surprised. Part of it is that a lot of congoers don't spend that much time in their rooms, even less if they ignore hygiene practices. So you don't really notice the crowding if it's the middle of the night and you just come in and crash. As long as you don't trip over people, that is Cool I stayed with 5 others in a room at Akon last year, and it worked out well enough. Hotels do have rules against overcrowding, but considering that hotel staff are running around trying to deal with the mass chaos that goes on during cons, they don't have time to enforce those rules.
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Yeah, it has been, but more because they are sticking an M rating on it now and so it couldn't be in the magazine anymore. I'm still not entirely sure what deserves said rating, but I would still say that it's one of the more popular titles under the Shoujo Beat line.

And the magazine is flowery but I think that that's actually rather funny.

If I remember correctly, it will be getting an M rating because there are some really intense, "adult" issues that the Nanas will be dealing with, including spoiler[abortion]. Plus the increased sex, nudity, etc.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Berserkfury819 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Here in Canada, we make fun of all politics wheather we like them or not. He could like Al gore, just thought this was funny. Meh, who cares if he's right-winged and religious, everyone has their own beliefs and opinions.

Yes, I'm Canadian too, but while I'm fine with folks' beliefs and opnions, one thing we should all refuse to tolerate is poor website design, like Vic's.

Sheesh, Sony should sue him over that font ....
Jamee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, just for personal curiousity, how the hell do 8 people even fit into a most hotel rooms? I feel cramped in a hotel room with just one other person. Also, don't the hotels have rules against having that many people in a room? (Wouldn't it qualify as some sort of fire hazard?)

I work at a hotel, and we do have rules about how many people can stay in a room. People get around this by just sneaking all their extra people in. They may think they're clever but they should know that if the staff finds out about the extra people they will:

1) Kick you all out of the room

2) Call the police

3) Charge your credit card for that amount of people. If you said you had 3 people in the room and you actually had 6, you can expect to pay at least $200 dollars more per night than you were quoted. And don't think you can get around this by paying cash, since any reputable place will insist on having a credit or debit card number on file, no matter what you pay.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Jamee wrote:
Quote:
Also, just for personal curiousity, how the hell do 8 people even fit into a most hotel rooms? I feel cramped in a hotel room with just one other person. Also, don't the hotels have rules against having that many people in a room? (Wouldn't it qualify as some sort of fire hazard?)

I work at a hotel, and we do have rules about how many people can stay in a room. People get around this by just sneaking all their extra people in. They may think they're clever but they should know that if the staff finds out about the extra people they will:

2) Call the police

3) Charge your credit card for that amount of people. If you said you had 3 people in the room and you actually had 6, you can expect to pay at least $200 dollars more per night than you were quoted. And don't think you can get around this by paying cash, since any reputable place will insist on having a credit or debit card number on file, no matter what you pay.

One of my cousins is a hotel manager and they never accept cash on weekends, only credit cards, especially for young people. (She even told me about the suicide attempts.) Yes, people want to save money but to me it's not worth craming eight people in a room.(I like my space) I'm sure there are cheaper hotel's around the area one can use.

Quote:
Yes, I'm Canadian too, but while I'm fine with folks' beliefs and opnions, one thing we should all refuse to tolerate is poor website design, like Vic's.

lol, I liked how he showed the everything in the website. Normally, one can't tell a voice actors real voice, but his voice is the same as Ed's. I heard Wendee Lees and Michelle Ruff's real voice at Anime North and I didn't recongise the voices at first.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:

britannicamoore wrote:
I like those a lot actually- it helps me to make sure i'm saying the words right and following along with the song.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but the lyrics of fansub karaokes like those are usually unreliable at best, in my experience at least. I have seen precious few (if any) that don't have errors on the Japanese side.

It's better than what I think I hear. O.o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

Agreed. The talking freaking me out and I wanted to cry. Thanks Vic, this is why I am more popular than you in regards of my anime club (a long small-con story). LMAO.

But yes, that website shouldn't be seen by the children, lest they will be scarred for life.

Jamee wrote:
Quote:

2) Call the police

I manged to get around it. I had 7 people in the room... granted it was a swanky hotel in Baltimore, Tremont Plaza.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i'll say this right now: Viz is taking a FAR bigger risk on Nana. i mean they are pushing it to a market they already saturated with shounen staples. i can't even imagine how they plan to promote this.

I personally think it would be cool if they could get an American singer to do Nana's voice since that would really fit with the series. Also, as much as I love the originals and fear what a translation might do... I would be interested in english versions of the songs. Though I guess those songs are 1/3 English anyway so it doesn't matter!

Oh, and as to the rant, I think that anime fans just have to be ready for persucution and lack of understanding from the general public. They're going to latch onto whatever snipit they know about the subject (Probably they saw an episode of DBZ, Sailor moon, or Pokemon...) and use that as their base of opinion. I also think that the rant writer gives convention goers too much credit, a lot of these people are as dense as the guy who called in. They buy whatever knick-knack goes along with the newest popular release (e.g. Naruto Headbands 2 years ago, last year it was the hat the shop owner in Bleach wears) and participate in the "Normal people are stupid and we're awesome" group mentality which, surprise surprise, turns people off to otakus, and it isn't helped by the annoying way a lot of otakus seem to talk (Talking about their favorite series like God gave it to earth as divine gift and going into all these details that people don't care about but the otaku seems very pleased with himself like he just awed everyone with his knowledge of the maximum speed the mech bay's maintenance truck). Of course the stuff I'm saying is just rather generic otaku bashing, but, like I said, I think sometimes some of the brighter anime fans give anime fans in general too much credit. But thats just me.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote
lscoresby wrote:
Now that it has the mature rating, they won't have to do any editing. I think it's fabulous.

The editing has been minimal though, and only in the magazine, not the separate volumes. I guess I'll just need to read them when they come out and remind myself what happens in those volumes, because I still can't think of anything that would warrant a M (except for one scene in one volume). Even with the issues mentioned that it deals with, it really doesn't have anything worse than what you can see on Degrassi.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I decided to sound off on answerman, but the rant got me interested this time. Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've done something like this before, but putting it in the context of "pretending not to know what anime is" sparks something in me.

My brother falls right in there. Though me and my brother are used to geeking out playing video games and watching Star Wars together, something in him rejects anime (something we don't watch together). It's likely, in fact, the geeks he's seen around school who were Naruto accessories and are seen on the computers doing nothing but watching anime, or maybe have even heard of the conventions. So what does he call anime? Japanimation. That's right, a term I actually didn't know existed, and surely could be only an insult to it. I've seen others much worse than my brother, however, being that I know him more than pretty much anyone else and we get along pretty well, it's funny that something seems off with him when it comes to anime.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
lscoresby wrote:
Now that it has the mature rating, they won't have to do any editing. I think it's fabulous.

The editing has been minimal though, and only in the magazine, not the separate volumes. I guess I'll just need to read them when they come out and remind myself what happens in those volumes, because I still can't think of anything that would warrant a M (except for one scene in one volume). Even with the issues mentioned that it deals with, it really doesn't have anything worse than what you can see on Degrassi.

Actually, one volume had two pages removed from it. Some sort of flashback, I believe. It didn't seem to be an issue of mature/offensive content, so its a bit odd. But that's the only instance, and it was early on (second or third volume).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9