• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
The Signature Line has always been on the back-burner. I'm not even complaining about that, as its unrealistic to expect a company to throw money into a niche line when they could be adding titles to the juggernaut that is Shonen Jump (of course the whole flooding argument comes up but that's for another thread). All things considered I think we should be thankful that Viz has been able to release stuff like Drifting Classroom and Vagabond, as well as take the occasional chance on Sexy Voice and Robo or a re-print of Tekkon Kinkreet.
On the other hand they seem to have little idea on how to actually tap into an older audience. Someone mentioned how Vertical was able to really succeed with Buddha. There's no reason Viz couldn't have duplicated that success with Phoenix had it marketed it like Vertical did. I mean they couldn't even get it nominated for an Eisner the year freaking Karma came out, which is only the greatest thing Tezuka ever made that's been published in English. They have managed to get Drifting Classroom some attention from alt. comic readers (TCJ absolutely loved it) and I'm sure the Ito reprints well sell well, but I think the line could have so much more success if they'd promote titles better.
And now that we're on the subject of Viz's often questionable decisions, does anyone know what degree of control Shogakukuan has over the decision-making process? Because it would put plenty of things into perspective if they had to get the approval of a bunch of crusty old-businessmen halfway across the world.
driverstart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
You know, since they are rereleasing Uzumaki and Gyo into the Viz Signature line, they should consider to rerelease Orochi: Blood into the line. Also, I'm hoping they will release 20th Century Boys into the line as well. It seems very interesting from the description I got about it and they all ready licensed it. While I'm at it, I hope they license The Left Hand of God, the Right Hand of the Devil. It also seems interesting.
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
If Viz were to reprint Orochi: Blood, I wish they'd start from the beginning of the series rather than just publishing the last volume. Yeah, I'd also like more Umezu. I've heard great things about Baptism, and I'm curious about Left Hand of God/Right Hand of the Devil and Fourteen.
TSC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
@TSC: I think the general problem is that Viz is solely building their Signature around previously established niche or tie-ins. Tekkon Kinkreet is only getting a re-release because of the upcoming film adaption released by Sony, and Uzumaki and Gyo are being brought back due to the recent horror trend (which is ironic as Dark Horse has canceled many of their horror titles, but I guess The Drifting Classroom must be selling well for Viz in spite of it all). Vagabond and Phoenix are continuations from their Editor's Choice lines, and I'd suspect that they simply want to be able to say that they finished the latter (perhaps also capitalize on the Tezuka push ever since Vertical did a phenomenal job with Buddha). Golgo 13 and Monster I will give them credit for, though the latter seems to be built around Internet notoriety and a future "Urasawa franchise."

So where does that leave us seinen fans who hunger for the seinen manga, particularly the hyper-violent series that are some of the best manga to ever be created? We can only hope that Dark Horse finds a way, otherwise Viz is just sitting on those titles.

Yes agree. Though on Golgo 13 case, they only releaseing "best of" in 13 volumes as it's would be forever if they went for all of em.

Now if they going to do rereleases for the sig line then might as well get Voyeurs, Inc. by Hideo Yamamoto. that is if Koroshiya Ichi ever gets released(presumely by DH).
driverstart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
While I'm here, I might as well mention the Viz Signature releases for the month of August! I'll be releasing the info on what's coming out each month for the Signature line as well.

Golgo 13 Vol. 10
The Drifting Classroom Vol. 7
Monster Vol. 10
These are all released on August 21, 2007.

I'm for sure buying a copy of The Drifiting Classroom Vol. 7 and Monster Vol. 10 this month Very Happy ! Who's buying what this month?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

To confirm what TSC stated (who I introduced to the manga a little while ago), it's Suzuki, the main character from Nijigahara Holograph. It's kind of nice to see someone mention Inio Asano around here aside from Kagemusha and myself.

I guess it might be a good time to read it over again and start up a thread now that there are more than two people who have read (and liked) it.
smoochy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
While I'm here, I might as well mention the Viz Signature releases for the month of August! I'll be releasing the info on what's coming out each month for the Signature line as well.

Golgo 13 Vol. 10
Monster Vol. 10

I'm for sure buying a copy of The Drifiting Classroom Vol. 7 and Monster Vol. 10 this month Very Happy ! Who's buying what this month?

I'm getting all of them... Golgo 13 is one of the best things created by man.
TSC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
driverstart wrote:

Golgo 13 Vol. 10
Monster Vol. 10

I'm getting all of them... Golgo 13 is one of the best things created by man.

And Sonny Chiba best man to be Golgo 13.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
You know, since they are rereleasing Uzumaki and Gyo into the Viz Signature line, they should consider to rerelease Orochi: Blood into the line. Also, I'm hoping they will release 20th Century Boys into the line as well. It seems very interesting from the description I got about it and they all ready licensed it. While I'm at it, I hope they license The Left Hand of God, the Right Hand of the Devil. It also seems interesting.

If Viz keeps the release rate up with Monster assuming no interruptions Monster should end its release run in December 2008. Which could possibly give 20th Century Boys a February 2009 or April 2009 release date. Which would make sense to put 20th CB in in the Signature series since Monster will be finished. I'm still hoping that someone will license Pluto which might be Urasawas last work unless he can pull one more ace out of his sleeve which I'm sure he has. If Urasawa decides to create one more series(beyond pluto), I'm sure that he will make sure that he exits the manga industry with a big bang. We all know the old saying you save the best for last.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would re-release titles like Sanctuary though there signature line. It is such a great title more people should get the chance to read it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
CorrosiveMeso wrote:
Which hyper-violent series are you referring to, by the way, HellKorn?

Series like Ichi the Killer, Freesia, The World is Mine, et cetera. Series like Berserk, Gantz, Eden: It's an Endless World!, and MPD Psycho show that hyper-violent manga can be brought over (though the first two are helped by anime adaptions and an Internet following, and the latter applies to the last one). Now, whether those types that are less mainstream and arguably heftier than aforementioned titles can make it is a whole other matter...

Kagemusha wrote:
All things considered I think we should be thankful that Viz has been able to release stuff like Drifting Classroom and Vagabond, as well as take the occasional chance on Sexy Voice and Robo or a re-print of Tekkon Kinkreet.

I don't think you could describe Vagabond or Tekkon Kinkreet as being all that lucky. Vagabond seems to be selling just well enough and I'd guess that Viz wouldn't want to drop it after going so many volumes into it, and with the film adaption released by Sony in September it's not much of a surprise that Viz is reprinting Tekkon Kinkreet.

Maybe I'm just a bit jaded because they would be making something of a killing with a lot of their Shonen Jump/Advanced titles and they aren't even dipping their toes in the pool of seinen manga available to them.

Quote:
I guess it might be a good time to read it over again and start up a thread now that there are more than two people who have read (and liked) it.

If you haven't started one up soon I'll be sure to do so. Asano and Arai's works will be the final series I'll get around to for scanlations (saving the best for last, y'know), and re-reading Nijigahara Holograph will be among them.

Oh, and a comment in this entry about Tekkon Kinkreet indicates that Viz will be reprinting some of their series along with Phoenix.
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, volumes one and seven of Phoenix are now in stock on amazon.com. Great, they're reprinted a few months after I get them in French.

I haven't read Freesia or Ichi the Killer, HellKorn, but I really like Hideki Arai's works. I've only read of little of The World is Mine and Kiichi!, but they're great. I hope they're licensed. Otherwise, I'll have to splurge and start buying the French versions.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll be picking up the newest volumes of The Drifting Classroom and Monster by the end of the month. Smile

I always thought that the SIgnature line would be the place to go for titles that Viz would normally never publish in their standalone line-up, like Gantz (which went to Dark Horse).

We need new titles, dammit. They could dive in there and pull out a couple of titles that we've never heard of, and there's always Elfen Lied. Confused

& on 20th Century Boys, there is almost no doubt in my mind that it will be a Signature title.

EDIT: Another title that I'd LOVE to see Viz get (provided that they're taking a risk) for the Signature line would be A Spirit of the Sun (Taiyo no Mokushiroku).

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I been recently looking through Viz's release dates. They finally shown the newest volumes September through November, I then saw this new manga called, Portus. I read the description but I have my doubts on that fact that it was placed under the Viz Media line. Here's the description of it:

Quote:
Asami's best friend Chiharu has stopped coming to school and isn't answering her phone. It seems she's found something that's a little more addictive than the school art club. But when Chiharu mysteriously commits suicide, all Asami finds in her room is a strange video game called Portus. With the help of two of her teachers, Asami hopes to solve the mystery behind her friend's macabre death and the bizarre game itself. But is she prepared for the horrors of entering the twisted world of Portus, a game where, if you lose, there is no option to continue?

It is rated M for mature as well. I feel that this is more of a Viz Signature title. Who feels this way? Also, all current titles in the Viz Signature line end next year sadly. No more Drifting Classroom, Golgo 13, and Monster next year...
Hiei77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
So whats with the reprints of Vagabond? What did they change for those volumes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10