• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bad news for Bleach fans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold_guardian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
From the latest Shonen Jump Newsletter

Bleach will join the serialized titles as of the November 2007 issue. The series kicks off with a 120-page section of manga, as Ichigo and his crew leave the Soul Society behind. Bleach will continue monthly from then on.

Damn say it ain't so. I LOVED getting my bleach fix every other month. Having it in the magazine would only slow it down for no good reason and increase the chance it gets censored when so far it's been unscatched.

I remember people sending letters actually asking for this. God how dumb can people get.
Why could you possible want your manga at a slower pace? Why?
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Is this really a bad thing? I mean with it going out onto Shonen Jump won’t that mean the more people will be exposed to Bleach. And you don’t know if it will be censored. If it does get censored that you have reason to complain (of course then you could always watch the anime on AS).
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Gold_guardian wrote:
The series kicks off with a 120-page section of manga [snip] Why could you possible want your manga at a slower pace? Why?

Well, if they actually put 120 pages in every issue, then it wouldn't slow down, would it? I don't know if they plan on keeping up that pace, but it's a thought....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Well it would have been about a year and a half when viz would have caught up with the Japanese releases so at that point you would have just waited as long any ways. I don't see what the big deal is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Well yes, it is sort of a bad thing that the releases will be that slow, but given how close it is to the Japanese version, it really does make sense. In the meantime, it'll be getting more exposure through the Jump at least, so I'm not complaining.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The slower release does suck a bit, but yeah, if you're about to hit the Japanese release anyway, you might as well just get used to it. At least this way you'll get some every month, instead of having long spells between volumes. There are much slower releases out there than what they do with the SJ magazine titles.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Slower release dates are never fun but like others have mentioned, we're getting close to the Japanese release so it's not like the every-other-month pattern would have lasted forever anyway.

Gold_guardian wrote:
Having it in the magazine would only slow it down for no good reason and increase the chance it gets censored when so far it's been unscatched.

Most of the "increased" SJ edits are usually uncensored for the graphic novel release. Of course this is Viz so nothing is ever safe... and IIRC, they've already edited Bleach once.
toad sage 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
so......im kinda confused. is bleach gunna be on shonen jump or not....? im on vacation now, using wireless internet.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Bleach will now also be in Shonen Jump. It will still come out in trades but at a much slower pace.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
Slower release dates are never fun but like others have mentioned, we're getting close to the Japanese release so it's not like the every-other-month pattern would have lasted forever anyway.

Gold_guardian wrote:
Having it in the magazine would only slow it down for no good reason and increase the chance it gets censored when so far it's been unscatched.

Most of the "increased" SJ edits are usually uncensored for the graphic novel release. Of course this is Viz so nothing is ever safe... and IIRC, they've already edited Bleach once.

it was in volume 14 with yoruichi. They added a lot more smoke.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Gold_guardian wrote:
The series kicks off with a 120-page section of manga [snip] Why could you possible want your manga at a slower pace? Why?

Well, if they actually put 120 pages in every issue, then it wouldn't slow down, would it? I don't know if they plan on keeping up that pace, but it's a thought....

That's only going to be for the first issue its serialized. There's no way they are going to put that much in every issue.

digitalkikka wrote:

Uh, no, we really aren't close to catching up at all. I used to think the same thing until I thought it out a bit more. Volume 20 just came out here and 28 came out in Japan this month. If Viz continued a bi-monthly release rate, in one year we would be at 26 and Japan would be at volume 32. In another year, we would be at volume 32, and they would be at volume 36. In another year after that, we would be at 38 and they would be at 40. So in four years, we would be at 44 and they would be at 44. And that's assuming they only got 4 volumes a year, but they seem to alternate between 4 and 5. Bleach manga releases.

So it would take us over 4 years to catch up. Yeah, we're real close to catching up with them.

digitalkikka wrote:
Gold_guardian wrote:

They added a bit more steam to the scene when Yoruichi revealed herself. So far, that's been it. However, being in SJ means there is an increased chance for edits. On the other hand, they appear to be using the scissors less as of late. Of course, with Viz, you never know when they may just get that urge.

toad sage 5 wrote:
so......im kinda confused. is bleach gunna be on shonen jump or not....? im on vacation now, using wireless internet.

Yes, it is. That was very clear from the first post. And the news article or the Comic-con Viz panel report. And I'm not sure how wireless internet affects anything.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Viz has only said that its going to be serialized in the magazine, not for how long. I'd imagine these things are usually indefinite. When they decide to put it in the magazine, its permanent until they decide otherwise.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

That's only going to be for the first issue its serialized. There's no way they are going to put that much in every issue.

They obviously won't, seeing as volume 22 is coming out 5 months after 21. Hopefully it will be at least every 3 months after that.

Quote:

So it would take us over 4 years to catch up. Yeah, we're real close to catching up with them.

I've done the math too, and come up with the same conclusion. Darn you to heck Viz!
And the manga will probably be over by then, or if not, very close to it.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Viz has only said that its going to be serialized in the magazine, not for how long. I'd imagine these things are usually indefinite. When they decide to put it in the magazine, its permanent until they decide otherwise.

I'm hoping it'll be a temporary thing like with Gintama. What would be a slightly better idea, would be to do the "serialize one volume" for all their manga, that way everything will get a better preview than just the first chapter. Like do a volume of Bleach, then a volume of Eyeshield, etc...only once mind you, not in a repeating cycle. It's hard to get a good grasp on some Jump manga from just the first chapter, they usually hit their stride a few books in. Like Reborn for example, it starts off as a comedy, but becomes a great action series(probably the best in Jump right now) like 7 volumes in, and you would never guess that from the first chapter.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Uh, no, we really aren't close to catching up at all. I used to think the same thing until I thought it out a bit more. Volume 20 just came out here and 28 came out in Japan this month. If Viz continued a bi-monthly release rate, in one year we would be at 26 and Japan would be at volume 32. In another year, we would be at volume 32, and they would be at volume 36. In another year after that, we would be at 38 and they would be at 40. So in four years, we would be at 44 and they would be at 44. And that's assuming they only got 4 volumes a year, but they seem to alternate between 4 and 5. Bleach manga releases.

Oh, for some reason I was thinking they were closer... Embarassed That changes my opinion on the subject, though. It's not very fair to the fans following the series via the graphic novel releases to suddenly start this now. I've fallen behind on collecting Bleach in order to focus on other series but now it looks like I'll just go ahead and drop it for the time being. I see no point in catching up only to end up waiting for the longer release dates... and I have no interest in buying SJ.

This was one release I thought Viz was doing a really good job with (aside from the small edit) but now all it did was remind me why I've always been so hesitant to collect any series from them.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who noticed this.

If Viz just slows down the release to a quarterly schedule, then that would ensure that we'd never catch up to the Japanese tankobon release, unless it went on hiatus or something, like Hunter X Hunter.

If Viz puts out three chapters a month in the magazine, then there won't be much to complain about. If not, then yes, this is bad. Considering that I'm still subscribing to SJ (though I'm not sure if I'll renew my subscription), I have virtually no incentive now to start buying the manga again, as I was going to once the manga reached the point where the fillers started in the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2