• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime to the Big Screen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinjí90

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
gantz like many have said would make a great live action if not made in america cause it would be cut to hell and made pg-13 (which it is not ment to be)

im also kinda looking forward to an evangelion movie because i just love all of evangelion, but just worried that it will be butcherd to hell and back :c( and also finding the right actors for the parts which i just cant picture any of the actors out there now in any of the parts
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Shinjí90 wrote:
gantz like many have said would make a great live action if not made in america cause it would be cut to hell and made pg-13 (which it is not ment to be

You could get the guys who did Hostel or Saw to do it. Maybe???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shinjí90

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Shinjí90 wrote:
gantz like many have said would make a great live action if not made in america cause it would be cut to hell and made pg-13 (which it is not ment to be

You could get the guys who did Hostel or Saw to do it. Maybe???

THEN! it would be awsome, cause i know they wouldn't hold back a single body explosion...
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
D_man71200 wrote:
OMG when did Hollywood stop think and started copying, once they start they really don't know when to stop Mad

They been like that for many years they don't want to produce something semi fresh and take a chance on a movie project that is not a established franchise like a video game a comic or anime series.

And look at how many old movies they are creating new versions of. The latest being 3:10 to Yuma.

Did not know that and not shocked at all by what Hollywood is doing.
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
I prefer that an asian studio make anime adaptations to the big screen rather than an American studio because American producers would try to make a PG-13 movie. Usually Japanese live-actions are cheap but I don`t care for the budget if the director is creative, just watch Ryuhei Kitamura`s Versus. Asian directors made great live actions like Takashi Miike`s Ichi the killer (Based on a manga) or Park Chan Wook`s Oldboy (Also based on a manga) If you want something for the fanboy, watch Kazuaki Kiriya`s Casshern, based on a 70`s anime. I don`t want bloodless wounds, patriotic speechs, bad jokes and P.C. dialogues. By the way, Hollywood will never make a live action with great budget because recent anime aren`t as popular as classic comic books.

I would like to watch a live action of Gantz. I think it`s possible because its character design is realistic and Japan has a tradition with monsters. I think the perfect director could be Takashi Miike or Ryuhei Kitamura. Both of them put a lot of violence on their movies and they are influenced by anime.

Big budget is very importent if were talking about anime to live action. a budget of 100 Million or more is very key if your going to bring a anime like Gantz, Akira or Ghost in the Shell or Hellsing.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
i think that even IF they end up making an Eva movie, if they take away all of the whining that Shinji does in the anime, many people will love it just for that.

once word gets out, anime fans will go to see what Eva might be like if Shinji didn't whine........and took place in america. Laughing hopefully they wont add a bunch of hooking up in the movie though.....if its made.<_<

but most movies these days suck anyway, so the chance that an anime movie is gonna come out good is slim......though i haven't seen Transformers yet, and i heard mixed reactions about that. and whats 3:10 to Yuma?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
and whats 3:10 to Yuma?

A Western!

2007: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381849/

1957: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050086/
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
Big budget is very importent if were talking about anime to live action. a budget of 100 Million or more is very key if your going to bring a anime like Gantz, Akira or Ghost in the Shell or Hellsing.

*tsk* Only in the U.S.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
I would love the idea of more anime coming to the big screen, I mean there are quite a few that would really work.

Here are some of the projects that are currently in production:

Blood: The Last Vampire
Gatchaman
Astro Boy
Lupin the Third
Ghost in the Shell
Evangelion

However here are some series that I think would be great in live action if done by people who understand what the show is and knows how to properly execute it (yes they are out there):

Cowboy Bebop
Chrono Crusade
Black Lagoon
Death Note (A U.S. remake would be awesome)
Big O (Hey if they did Sky Captain they can do this one)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:

Well, if they can do that one then they certainly would be able to do Last Exile. I think that would be incredible to see on the Big Screen!

Full Metal Panic! would make another good movie in my opinion.
D_man71200

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
I would love the idea of more anime coming to the big screen, I mean there are quite a few that would really work.

Here are some of the projects that are currently in production:

Blood: The Last Vampire
Gatchaman
Astro Boy
Lupin the Third
Ghost in the Shell
Evangelion

However here are some series that I think would be great in live action if done by people who understand what the show is and knows how to properly execute it (yes they are out there):

Cowboy Bebop
Chrono Crusade
Black Lagoon
Death Note (A U.S. remake would be awesome)

wow astro boy. that is going to be really wierd.
D_man71200

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
There doing it again. Ok I know Ben 10 is not really considered anime but the whole cartoon to real life thing is happening with that show now too. What is next cartoon network? Crying or Very sad
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And look at how many old movies they are creating new versions of. The latest being 3:10 to Yuma.

I'm sure that trend has been noted during the past 5-7 years ago. It's all the more reason why I stopped bothering watching any movie that comes out. It's been about 3-4 years since I've seen anything movie from cinema.

Once they're done sucking the life blood out of American comics, they'll probably turn towards Japanese comics. Who knows.

D_man71200 wrote:
I haven't seen Transfomers yet but i heard good things about it. It has begun, this only means that there will be more cartoons becoming real movies. Is this good or bad, well we will have to wait and see. What do you guys think they'll try to convert next?

If I remember correctly, one Japanese anime movie tried to be on the big screen. It could be Spirited Away, but I don't remember. Compared to a "Hollywood Blockbuster", it did not fare very well.

Many cultural changes have to be made; and at the same time, many cultural barriers have to be taken down. Quite frankly, I don't see that happening. The irony -- these barriers are human induced.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
A live action Evangelion movie is possible. Heck, a GOOD live action Evangelion movie is possible. However, if it doesn't feel like Anno's work, then it won't appeal to me, and probably a significant amount of the fanbase. I don't see any director in the US right now (besides maybe Christopher Nolan) as able to pull off a good adaptation.

I also don't understand why live action adaptations of anime should be done. Other than a few exceptions, most anime would lose a lot in the process. Maybe some studio will prove me wrong; I know I'll probably see an Eva movie if it's done.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It is probably best Anno is not involved with the adaptation. The combo would almost certainly end up too contrived.

By the way, the movie has been in planning for a while now. I give it a 99% chance in the next 5 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7