• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China Blacklists Attack on Titan, Death Note, 36 More Anime/Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
Wow China going hard on that crazy train banning Inferno Cop a 5min anime I wonder if they ban Aqua Teen Hunger Force as well
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Sorry, I've watched Elf wo Karu Mono-tachi (Those who hunt Elves) last year.

I watched an anime episode (not two of them) of TYHE when it came over here on ADV....FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. Shocked

And Attack on Titan was likely banned as much for gore as for being the Big Symbolic Target, but there's also the theory that the themes of revolution against the big giant oppressors might have hit home a bit.
me_barron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
I forsee these becoming the most pirated anime/manga in China.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
I feel like this is an idea that's only good in the eyes of the people doing it. Between half of these shows not being relevant in years and the sheer idiocy of some of the choices, I wouldn't foresee it lasting very long, were it not to be China.

Not to mention, how could you miss Kantai Collection?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Not to mention, how could you miss Kantai Collection?
From what I've seen written elsewhere, it was already under a de facto ban before April 1 - nobody licensed it and unlicensed streaming sites were required to remove it (just checked on Youku, and it's not there). Although I've been told the same about Mahouka, but that one's right there on Youku without any issue, which is a bit more puzzling..
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
I see High School DxD, Elfen Lied, and Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai., but no To Love-Ru or Ikkitōsen. Hmm... Razz
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
FredMaki wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Hey, China, you missed Cross Ange.

Also include Kill la Kill.

I'm surprised Kill la Kill isn't on there, it's set in Japan and they have what are basically military factions, and the Chinese are scared about anything to do with Japan and its military.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
My gawd, what the hell is China on? I guess there's some things I really don't know about how they do things. But to blacklist certain books? Man reminds you of some serious book burning days. Now who's worse Korea or China. When you have the ability to censor anything including the internet, then either party is bad.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love communist governments.
SENPAI--

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
No not the good ones, and that's why age rating exist
but i guess the chines government doesn't understand that
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online II (the rest too?) and Those Who Hunt Elves are my highlights Confused and Parasyte is the "best" anime on the list. (The Skull Man is the only one i have no experience in manga or anime form btw.)

This was a long time cooking and Naruto (hardcore gorn) + One Piece (promotion of unlawfully behavior) should be next. My only comment is that this is the usual anti-japanese nonsense but could a few Chinese ANN user comment on this too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Minimimiau wrote:
Maybe I can understadn some animes like corpesparty because it has a lot fo violence and gore, but SAO? Maybe in goverment the anime has haters.

Not SAO, just SAO II. Maybe it's because of the gun-based combat rather than the swords-and-magic combat of the first season.

mgosdin wrote:
This. It's like a parent that sees their child reading a book they don't like. Ban it, Take it away, doesn't make much difference. If the child wants it they will find a way to get it, indeed banning it usually guarantees that it will be acquired and read if for no other reason than spite.

The Chinese leadership has a hopeless & thankless task of holding together a huge diverse country that if left alone would fragment in a dozen different directions with predictable results.

Mark Gosdin

Or sheer curiosity, as a forbidden fruit. It's the Streisand Effect in action, and considering how much the Chinese government bans, I'm sure it's pretty rampant there, which in turn would be why I suspect the Chinese government is so heavy-handed: It's a vicious cycle.

The Chinese government restricts things. People want to obtain it because it's restricted. The Chinese government restricts and/or bans harder. It makes people want it even more.

invalidname wrote:
Hey, China, you missed Cross Ange.

That guy did say he's not done yet.

killjoy_the wrote:
I do have to wonder, though, why in the hell would they decide Inferno Cop is bannable.

My best guesses as to the things that the Chinese government, or at least this person, could find offensive:

• It depicts the Southern Cross criminal organization as being extremely pervasive and omnipresent. It is also a quasi-religious cult.
• Violence is over-the-top and comical, with geysers of blood and corny screaming. Moral guardians may interpret it as glorification of violence.
• One of Inferno Cop's adversaries is a baby.
• Inferno Cop, at one point, pretends a loaf of bread is his dead sidekick, then eats it.
• Inferno Cop HQ is implied to be untrustworthy.
• It's a web series and thus not as easily controlled as TV or home video.

soul.assassin wrote:
Meanwhile, a Chinese studio is prepared to release a ripoff of CARS for screening on 5,000 theaters...

Oh, the west has its own mockbuster companies. (To my knowledge, Disney films can make it into China just fine. Except Mulan. For the record, the government there LOVES Kung Fu Panda and its sequel.)

firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow China going hard on that crazy train banning Inferno Cop a 5min anime I wonder if they ban Aqua Teen Hunger Force as well

Most of the offensive content in Aqua Teen is in the dialogue; that can easily be dubbed out. As an episodic series with negative continuity, they can also omit episodes that have visual offensive content they cannot easily remove.

EricJ2 wrote:
And Attack on Titan was likely banned as much for gore as for being the Big Symbolic Target, but there's also the theory that the themes of revolution against the big giant oppressors might have hit home a bit.

I'm a bit surprised Attack on Titan is on there but One Piece isn't, considering the World Government in One Piece is very heavy-handed at punishing dissenters, takes great efforts to censor its media, and stands in opposition to the main characters. In addition, there is a revolutionary force that's shown as good and friendly. (That being said, we also see there are both good and bad pirates and government people, but I get the impression the Chinese government wants people to think it's 100% good. Which in turn makes me wonder if they're aware they're a laughingstock of the rest of the world.)

Maybe One Piece has just intfiltrated too much of Chinese pop culture for them to do much about.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

IMO since they have the historical big wall and nowadays they have the biggest firewall surrounding their internet, maybe some chinese viewers might realize the analogy of being surrounded by giants that can make mince meat of them in an open conflict and the chinese goverment do not want any demoralizing propaganda, quite the opposite, maybe that is why they do not ban Mahouka, they want to fan the flames of rabid chinese nationalism.

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Gotta love communist governments.

More like totalitarian goverments. China is as communist nowadays as democrats are left wing liberals.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
IMO since they have the historical big wall and nowadays they have the biggest firewall surrounding their internet, maybe some chinese viewers might realize the analogy of being surrounded by giants that can make mince meat of them in an open conflict and the chinese goverment do not want any demoralizing propaganda, quite the opposite, maybe that is why they do not ban Mahouka, they want to fan the flames of rabid chinese nationalism.

Heh, that's an interesting analogy. Even more so considering there are spoiler[political reasons why the Titans even exist].
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
With China, it's no surprise that anything that looks like it criticizes their politics would immediately get censored, no matter how small or big the actual content is.

One day, something is going to change China's crazy censorship laws for good but until then, we are stuck with this.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7