• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragon Ball Manga Editor: Series Should Have Ended After Frieza

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'd always heard before that the series was supposed to end with the Frieza arc, but Toriyama was forced to continue, hence the big thing with Goku being the Super Saiyan, and then for the movies they had to make up Broly as the Legendary Super Saiyan, because they let everyone go Super.

This is lending more to that.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Here we go. The anti-post-Freeza-arc crowd is gonna start bitching over Cel and Majin Buu again and using this guy's opinion's to justify Freeza being the proper end point.

Last edited by the-antihero on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I hear this often.

As someone who really enjoyed the Cell Saga, I don't agree with it. The Buu Saga, despite some good parts, was the part where the series just got too silly, and everyone was too powerful, was the low point in the actual series. ( I don't count the series that shall not be named.) The cell saga is where I think the series should have ended.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Goku should have been the only SSJ, as per the legend. The Cell saga, however, was very good IMO. Future Trunks was awesome, and Gohan's SSJ2 transformation is still my all tile favorite moment in anime. The Buu saga is crap.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I could see the defeat of Frieza being a natural point to conclude the story. Goku achieved what was regarded as a mythical power for the Saiyans, and he defeated a threat to the galaxy who had conquered many, many worlds. Of course, Cell also felt like a final villain with him being an amalgamation of various characters, and with Goku passing the torch to Gohan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
It'd be kind of pointless to stop at the Frieza Saga, since the main characters are still exploring and discovering their true potentials. Plus, you're wondering what happens to the supporting characters later on. But at least Toriyama had an actual plan for the end.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
I hear this often.

As someone who really enjoyed the Cell Saga, I don't agree with it. The Buu Saga, despite some good parts, was the part where the series just got too silly, and everyone was too powerful, was the low point in the actual series. ( I don't count the series that shall not be named.) The cell saga is where I think the series should have ended.

Agree on all counts.

Even as I really enjoyed the Frieza arc, it was Cell's that I found the most exciting and unexpected. The finale showdowns with young Gohan were great to me, and the addition of future Trunks and the Androids made the 'verse--and the stakes of the battle's outcome--that much bigger.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'd always heard before that the series was supposed to end with the Frieza arc, but Toriyama was forced to continue, hence the big thing with Goku being the Super Saiyan, and then for the movies they had to make up Broly as the Legendary Super Saiyan, because they let everyone go Super.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Toriyama never planned far enough ahead for that to have been true. You can definitely see that he just ran out of ideas, but he's blamed that in the past on simply being unable to take a break for the entire run of the manga. And after a nice long one, he's clearly had a few.
Foxaika

I can't say I disagree, really. Frieza seems like a natural end point given his role in the galaxy, and the level Goku attained at that point. After that, it started becoming somewhat ridiculous. The following villains undermine Frieza's strength to a degree, and while I like the Cell saga, and to some extent the Buu saga, I think the writing fell off at the end. I think it hurts itself as it continues on based on what came prior.
doctordoom85

*SPOILER WARNING* Feels dumb to warn that but just in case someone actually gets upset. Though given the topic you would think one would avoid discussing something they haven't seen......

Freiza would not have felt like a satisfying ending to me. Goku was the only one in the final fight, Vegeta would just sort have survived and been around without having changed much which would have been weird, and the whole "Gohan has this great potential" arc would have felt like it never ultimately anywhere. It's a good arc conclusion but definitely not a series finale to me at all.

Based on where the series ultimately went Cell probably should have been where it ended. Vegeta went through some development, IMHO Future Trunks is the best character of the series, Gohan's character arc paid off big time, everyone got to participate in the final battle, and Goku leaves the world to the next generation to watch over. All good stuff.

Buu isn't really a terrible arc, it just could have been better. Gotenks should have matured after his moms died, Gohan got the short end of the stick, the "next generation taking over" theme went nowhere (Vegeta should have stayed dead after trying to kill Buu and Goku should have stayed dead after his 24 hours was up. Gotenks and Gohan should have been the ones to defeat Buu), etc. There are some elements I like (SSJ 3 looks sick, Hercules' growth as a character is nice, some of the fights like Goku vs. Vegeta and Goten/Trunks vs. 18 are satisfying, and Videl is my favorite female character of the series despite her not getting to do much) but it still could have been better. As it stands Android/Cell is my favorite era of the "Z" part of the story.

The legend to me is irrelevant. And besides, it's a legend not a prophecy. Something that was talked about since so long ago was bound to have some details get mixed up over the countless years anyway. The only SSJ issue I have is how Goten and kid Trunks achieve it as it contradicts how the initial transformation had worked up to that point.

Also, "old farts and ladies"? A) I don't remember 20 ever actually fighting 18 but maybe I'm forgetting something, and B) this implies elderly people (so what, does Dragonball's Roshi not exist in this guys' mind?) and women (again, Chi Chi, this guy not remember her?) can't provide interesting fights and characterization? With that sort of argument, I can't say I'm really interested in this person's opinion. I'm not trying to start some sort of argument regarding sexism and/or age discrimination, I just don't care for someone implying they dislike a cast trying to be more diverse than males aged teens-40's.
MajinAkuma

Nothing new about this news. It's something the fans knew for years.
Storm101

Dessa wrote:

There's never been any evidence for this, it's just a rumor that has gotten way out of hand. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
"To the editor: No shit."

Sure some of the filler like the driving episode were fun, and I do like the Androids because it gave us 18, but Cell was really redundant and I never even made it into the Buu arc beyond Gohan and Videl dating.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
snip

Really I think the biggest problem for me regarding the Cell saga is as you mentioned: Gohan should have taken up the mantle(this was built up prior), but instead is shuffled off to the side afterwords. I think ending with him taking over+Goku dead after Cell would have made more sense based on what was written prior. It's like one thing was set to happen and then it was rejected.

Edit: And Videl is my favorite female character too. Smile
NeonZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Doesn't this actually suggest the opposite? It wasn't his editor pushing to continue, so it suggests that it was Toriyama by himself who decided to go forward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5