• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, May 25-31

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
To sell over 25,000 in its opening week isn't too shabby at all. Hopefully this will encourage Voyager Entertainment and Bandai Visual to produce more in the 2199 universe.

Why would it? The OVA/movie disc releases all sold like 30k+ in Japan and that didn't do shit for their decisions on the NA release.

You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm talking about Japanese sales of the movie contributing to a decision to produce more Yamato for the Japanese market, you're talking about the influence of sales in Japan in releasing the existing show in an international market. While nothing has been said by the company about the decision behind suspending the US release, it's most likely due to poor sales of the first four volumes due to the woeful job Voyager Entertainment did in marketing the show in North America.
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
due to the woeful job Voyager Entertainment did in marketing the show in North America.

Well, poor marketing,high price point, bizarre attempt to localize a 35 year old property on pure nostalgia, and terrible distribution.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
due to the woeful job Voyager Entertainment did in marketing the show in North America.

Well, poor marketing,high price point, bizarre attempt to localize a 35 year old property on pure nostalgia, and terrible distribution.

My apologies, "marketing" was a poor choice of words to generalise everything you mentioned. Their US release failed in all those aspects, and more.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
If you're talking about Yamato as an entire property, it's over 40 years old now since it's not like they were marketing 2199 back in 2010. That said, it's not like you can't market 2199 as its own distinct show, just like with Casshern Sins or Gatchaman Crowds being completely distinct from their super old originators, even if both did have 90s OVAs. There's really no excuse beyond just not trying. But to the original point of those number just mattering for Japan, of course. I saw Voyager and thought the American market, but what reason would there be for not making more 2199? It's good and enough people want to buy it, and it's not a case of Macross Frontier where that's a mega smash hit but all Kawamori wants is the series and the two films before moving onto the next story.
Panon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'd like to be happy about the Yamato 2199 movie doing well, having received my own copy I wish it had been a good movie and it unfortunately is not. Sad
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
As much as I'd like to be happy about the Yamato 2199 movie doing well, having received my own copy I wish it had been a good movie and it unfortunately is not. Sad

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it's the first time I've heard of anyone not liking it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Shirobako is still going strong, I see Very Happy
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you're talking about Yamato as an entire property, it's over 40 years old now since it's not like they were marketing 2199 back in 2010. That said, it's not like you can't market 2199 as its own distinct show, just like with Casshern Sins or Gatchaman Crowds being completely distinct from their super old originators, even if both did have 90s OVAs. There's really no excuse beyond just not trying. But to the original point of those number just mattering for Japan, of course. I saw Voyager and thought the American market, but what reason would there be for not making more 2199? It's good and enough people want to buy it, and it's not a case of Macross Frontier where that's a mega smash hit but all Kawamori wants is the series and the two films before moving onto the next story.

I believe you're right, that that's generally where they went wrong. Voyager made the incorrect assumption that people who grew up watching the original Star Blazers saga would be as dedicated as the Japanese Yamato fans of the same era, thinking they're the ones with disposable income. Their undoing was underestimating how few of those were dedicated fans (and not realising many of the hardcore fans were importing the show from Japan directly already). Had they taken the time to do it right and target today's anime viewer rather than focus too much on the nostalgic value, they might have done a lot better. Still, closing their American office years ago and/or not getting a local distributor to handle it (although they probably set their price too high for any licensor to pick it up) were their worst decisions.
jree78

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I'm ecstatic that Space Battleship Yamato is faring greatly at nearly 18,000 copies! Smile Hopefully there will be more from this show.

Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
...the likes like kancolle, shirobako need to disappear.

Why would you want them to disappear? If anything, most of the starring cast in Shirobako are nearing adulthood.

The ladies in Shirobako are in their early 20s they drink beer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3