• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Record Town and Media Play

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Honestly surprised there are still those who opt to go to "unofficial" streaming sites knowing that CR, Funi, Daisuki etc. offer the same services. Must be unfounded disdain towards them at this point. Now if the ads would actually show content relevant stuff like Weiss Schwarz or NISA game titles maybe people would actually look at them instead of tabbing out until it's over. Rolling Eyes

I'm not surprised that alot of people use those sites. Some people are just cheap and will find any excuse to justify piracy, others are just ignorant and don't know any better.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
You still have to sit through the [expletive] ads for TV shows even if you're a paid HuluPlus member.

There is no win.

You could always subscribe to Funimation, The Anime Network, or Crunchyroll instead. Then you can watch all your anime ad-free.

I have a Hulu Plus subscription myself, which I use to mostly watch US TV shows, and whenever there is a commercial break I only get 1 or 2 short ads. Considering the amount of content Hulu has, a few short ads are easy enough to deal with.

I do have Crunchyroll. And Netflix. I just tried the HuluPlus Trial membership to see what it's like.

The ad's aren't really that bad. Just sucks for binge watching.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every time some new technology comes around, people like to declare it to be the death of something else. DVD was the death of VHS, for one example. However, this actually happens pretty rarely. Usually both the old and the new format have their plusses and minuses, and consumers have the choice to go with what works for them. The business behind the old format gets shaken up, and has to change quite a bit, and the market might decrease, but once the dust settles, both co-exist peacefully.

Studios and hardware companies treat any new format like Tommy Lee Jones showing the alien micro-disk from Men in Black:
"In two years this thing's going to replace CD...Gonna have to buy the White Album again." Razz

That's because they don't KNOW why DVD replaced VHS (anime fans remember why... Anime smile ), they don't know why Blu-ray replaced DVD, and now they don't know why MP3 replaced CD.
They just think That's What New Formats Do, and immediately prepare to welcome their new overlords by exterminating the old order.

The fact is, users do know why one format replaced another--They solve problems:
DVD solved the problems of disintegrating tape, endless rewinds and one audio track, Blu-ray brought high-definition just in time to meet the FCC's new mandate on digital TV sets, and MP3 appealed to those who took their music on the go, and turned the entire music industry song-based rather than album-based.
There are very few problems that digital movies solve, except on a small, specific scale: Netflix solved the problem of its mail industry, and offered schedule-free viewing to become the first replacement for the slow reality-series Death of Cable. Vudu and Amazon offer new-release rental titles that avoid that one extra trip to Redbox's red-state-catalogue supermarket kiosks, and Ultraviolet kept a collection of movies if you happen to be stuck on a plane.

The problem is, there IS no immediate Achilles-heel problem that digital purchase solves, and studios keep having to try and create one, to reassure themselves they have the solution to it:
"Admit it, folks, you HATE disks! Don't gimme that, you know you hate 'em! You're ashamed of how much space you have in the living room, and you lie awake at night worrying about what happens if they ever get broken! Good thing you have us to take care of them for you!"
Errrmmmm.........uh-uh. Nice desperate try. Rolling Eyes
But you're not only talking to an anime fan, you're talking to an old-school anime fan, who, back in the 90's would rush into a burning building to rescue his Totoro and Kiki fansub VHS's. Ain't nobody taking care of our collections but us.

When the dust settles, the customer goes for the route of most satisfaction with least resistance.
As it happens, digital has a lot of problems of its own: Availability, studio rights, bandwidth speed, being tied to the internet, picture quality, all problems that aren't a concern with travel or rental, but which are solved by the availability of owning a quick piece of physical media that can be readily popped into a living room player. And the "dumb" customer will go for what solves problems.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd make a comment about the answers given this week... but damn I feel bad for Justin. What he's going through is torture. I hope he gets to watch Shirobako soon.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."
- Tanenbaum, Andrew S. (1989)

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I design integrated circuits for a living. While we can FTP a description of the chip to manufacturing (that's a single file on the order of what Justin deals with... small fractions of a terabyte), all the data we have to send to our customers (synthesis, timing, simulation) is too much for even fat corporate fiber pipes. That data goes back and forth by courier on an encrypted multi-TB HDD.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Honestly surprised there are still those who opt to go to "unofficial" streaming sites knowing that CR, Funi, Daisuki etc. offer the same services. Must be unfounded disdain towards them at this point. Now if the ads would actually show content relevant stuff like Weiss Schwarz or NISA game titles maybe people would actually look at them instead of tabbing out until it's over. Rolling Eyes

I'm not surprised that alot of people use those sites. Some people are just cheap and will find any excuse to justify piracy, others are just ignorant and don't know any better.

People also say "I'm __ old and can't afford anime". When I was in high school and even middle school, I saved UP any money I received from things I sold, recycling bottles, birthday money, whatever. Then I went to a local comic store to pick up some new animes which were... very pricey and single-discs back then. Anime are A LOT more affordable nowadays, so I have no idea where people's priorities are with their purchases. Well, unless it's the "need to watch it NOW" bit.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Honestly surprised there are still those who opt to go to "unofficial" streaming sites knowing that CR, Funi, Daisuki etc. offer the same services. Must be unfounded disdain towards them at this point.

Region lock. I'm in Romania. Do the math. And don't diss people who want to watch as it airs. It's insanely fun to discuss the latest episode on forums.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Honestly surprised there are still those who opt to go to "unofficial" streaming sites knowing that CR, Funi, Daisuki etc. offer the same services. Must be unfounded disdain towards them at this point.

Region lock. I'm in Romania. Do the math.

There is that, which is fair. The question, though, was along the lines of not being able to afford legal streaming, even though there are several low-cost or free options. This question comes up often enough, and in the context of a relatively young fan that I have to chalk most of it up to simple ignorance. As has been pointed out various times, if you just type something into a search engine, chances are some illegal sites will pop up near the top. Throw in that the old legal=paid/illegal=free dichotomy still exists (at least in people's minds) and I can see where newer viewers might not even be aware of the alternatives out there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
People also say "I'm __ old and can't afford anime". When I was in high school and even middle school, I saved UP any money I received from things I sold, recycling bottles, birthday money, whatever. Then I went to a local comic store to pick up some new animes which were... very pricey and single-discs back then. Anime are A LOT more affordable nowadays, so I have no idea where people's priorities are with their purchases. Well, unless it's the "need to watch it NOW" bit.

And even back when I couldn't afford those single-disks--not to mention the two-episode tapes--even finding rentals was a bit of a problem.
I remember having to travel 40 miles to Harvard Square by train, once a month, just to rent my monthly fix of Maison Ikkoku, which was marginally cheaper than having to buy those two episodes for $39.
This is one example of how the anime-sampling market would have been a lot cheaper and easier if Crunchyroll, Funi.com and the Internet had existed back then, and I could sample my purchase sales, and keep up with my "auditioned" series for $8 a month without leaving the house. Twice.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Not that it matters, but make sure you guys are checking UPLOAD speeds, not download speeds.

Japan's internet is way faster than the US and far closer to the numbers Kimiko_0 posted (Akamai put them at #3 in the world), but my larger point still stands.

Wikipedia (edited for grammar, punctuation, etc.) wrote:
As of April 2013, the Sony ISP So-Net released a fiber service to Tokyo and six surrounding prefectures for small businesses and homes. It provides speeds at 2 Gbit/s download and 1 Gbit/s upload. Since December 2014, parts of Minneapolis, Minnesota received 10 Gbit/s residential Internet service for $400 per month.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Region lock. I'm in Romania. Do the math. And don't diss people who want to watch as it airs. It's insanely fun to discuss the latest episode on forums.

This, basically. Some shows (mostly from CrunchyRoll) are streamed to a multitude of regions, while other shows (mostly FUNi's) are region-locked to North America only. And services like Hulu, Netflix, Daisuke and more are, guess what, region-locked.

Yes, there're lazy people who'd rather save the monthly $5, in FUNi's case, or $6.95, in CR's case (or regional equivalent), and opt to view shows on unofficial services.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

I remember having to travel 40 miles to Harvard Square by train, once a month, just to rent my monthly fix of Maison Ikkoku, which was marginally cheaper than having to buy those two episodes for $39.

You should have gone by bicycle. This would have saved you money to buy more swag, and set you up for a place on the school cycling team, where you could have amazing bromantical adventures.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
People also say "I'm __ old and can't afford anime".

I think the question was really "I'm 15 years old and I can't legally get a credit card, which is the only way to pay for things online". I'm sure in reality there are other ways, but really he does have a point.

Justin wrote:
As it so happens, I am uploading a Blu-ray master around that size to a replication plant as I type this very sentence. I only get 5 megabit upload speeds on my cable modem, so the Aspera file transfer client is estimating it'll take about 22 hours. And that's if nothing gets disconnected or crashes in that time. And if the file comes through and it's got an error, I'd have to start all over again.

Please for the love of God use something based on rsync for transfers. There's no reason to redo an entire upload just because of a little hiccup in the middle.

Justin wrote:
Fiber connections capable of transmitting full, uncompressed HD video -- which is how South Park Studios in Los Angeles gets new episodes to Comedy Central master control in New York City each week -- are insanely expensive, and not many anime studios can afford that.

I'll just say from my personal experience in Japan that a 1gbit (both upload and download) fiber connection to the home cost me around 6000yen per month back in 2011. But I'm sure that an anime studio that just spent considerable resources animating an episode is not going to take ANY risk when it comes to the airtime deadline. Bytes on a HDD = safe

Last edited by Dan42 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the fansub streaming sites that don't resort to ads because I want to watch the episode right there right then. It's ironic about CR being a legal subscribing site since it used to be an illegal streaming site.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
People also say "I'm __ old and can't afford anime".

I think the question was really "I'm 15 years old and I can't legally get a credit card, which is the only way to pay for things online". I'm sure in reality there are other ways, but really he does have a point.

Doesn't Amazon/Rightstuf take things like Visa gift cards? I know a bunch of people who don't have cards yet and have used them for online purchases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6