• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Interests BESIDES Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Lydia, please drop Mercedes Lackey. She is a terrible, horrible, formulaic writer.

I agree with this statement, except for two of her subseries. The Last Herald Mage and the Arrows of the Queen, both from Valdemar. Those two I thought were great. I still cry when I read Arrows Fall, and the Last Herald Mage is one of my great life changing books, where it actually changed the way I think. Any book that can do that, I think is amazing.

But her later stuff... well... yeah. Not impressed.

Anne McCaffrey I used to like until I met her in person, and she was really rude to me, so I stopped buying her stuff. But I still think her early stuff is great, up through probably about Dragonsdawn.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
For Fantasy you guys might like Jo Ann Bertin. I never could get much into MacCaffrey myself. I was a big fan in the day of the Dragonlance stuff but it dried up I think.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, first of all, I love cats. I have quite a few cats, and I love spending time playing with them. Anime smile I have a dog and a turtle too.

I draw a lot, but I mainly just draw clothes. I'd really like to be a fashion designer, but I don't think that can happen because I can't actually make clothes. I've recently started trying to make some clothes with the help of my mom, but I'm failing miserably at it. Anime cry

I occasionally write poems, but I'm pretty bad at writing them. I don't write as much as I used to, and I haven't posted my recent poems on the internet. Here are some of my older poems. Honestly, there's only a few of them that I like now.

I guess I listen to music a lot, but I don't buy very many CDs. I usually just listen to whatever is on the radio or TV. I often watch music videos, especially on IMF. IMF is nice because it plays videos from other countries that you can't see on any other channel. Also, IMF actually plays music videos in the daytime, unlike, for example, MTV which almost always waits until about 3am to play anything music-related. Darn MTV...

I watch TV shows that are not anime. Some of the shows I watch on TV are Heroes, House, American Idol, Last Comic Standing, Ugly Betty, and Spongebob Squarepants. I sometimes watch movies too, but I haven't been able to actually go to a theatre lately.

I have a PS2, so every once in a while I play a few video games even though I suck at them. I play The Sims 2 on the computer a lot though. I'm practically addicted to that game. Anime hyper

Also, I love shopping, especially for clothes! I haven't been to a mall for a while, but I love them. My mom just hates taking me. (Okay, mentioning the mall is making me crave Dippin' Dots. Those are awesome, and I can only get them at the mall.)
Urd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
I can't live without a book in my hand, so besides anime/manga : learning different languages, reading dictionnaries to learn the different definitions and concepts of words (in french and other languages), reading encyclopedias, poems, novels, computer science books.

In computer science, I particularly read books about artificial intelligence and data mining. It's the part of computer science I'm most interested in, and I'm actually in my 5th year of university learning artificial intelligence and data mining. That's pretty interesting. Smile

Last edited by Urd on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Zewerr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
I've always enjoyed auto racing. I've been autocrossing and road racing since 1998. Currently, I'm the President of a local autocross/road racing club called Bremerton Sports Car Club. I enjoy driving my vehicles. I don't enjoy fixing them, but I always seem to be doing just that. I currently own a 1991 GMC Syclone, a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, and a 2002 Yamaha V-Max. These are what give me most of my kicks in life. If you don't really know what autocrossing is, here's a little clip of me autcrossing my Syclone:

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g102/48chief/billbsccrun2/?action=view&current=run2.flv

I also in the last year have really, really gotten into bowling. I'm doing every thing I can to bowl my first 300. So far I'm up to 262, ARG!!!

I also enjoy dumping too much money into my PC in order to play games. I'm currently in tight knit little gaming group called Dweebfire. We used to mostly play Counter-Strike, but then we switched to World of Warcraft. That game was too much for me, so I ended up quitting. Now I just seem to play alot of racing games.

For people who know me well also know that I just simply like to go overboard to try to get a good laugh. E.G. http://216.240.155.171/dfireweb/Smeg/Scoot/100B4781.JPG

Oh yeah, and I also sing mad karaoke! Mainly rock, from all decades!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I love to read. I just finished White Oleander by Janet Fitch, and that's a really good book.
I also like to write poetry and short stories. I'm working on some fanfiction currently.
I like to draw too. I draw almost everyday, and I'm just about done with one of my sketchbooks. I'd open a deviantart if my scanner was better.

I listen to music a lot, usually before bed. I got a blue iPod nano recently and other than some annoying bugs, I like it a lot.

I like TV shows other than anime. I usually watch a lot Vh1, even the crappy stuff. I also watch a lot of Cartoon Network, Nick, TLC, and other stuff. I'm a little obsessed with Futurama, and I'm really excited for the new movie to come out.

And like LilacShadow, I love cats. Admittedly, I didn't use to like 'em that much. But after I got my kitty, I started to love them.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
I admit, I have not very many hobbies outside of anime that I spend time on anymore. I used to have more, however just regular stuff takes much of my time and leave my with less to spend on hobbies I guess.

Some I do occassionally and enjoy would be dance. I am in a few plays/musicals a year that take time/practice to learn the choreography and what-not and perform in, and I enjoy that very much. I wouldn't mind doing this more.

Something else I do occassionally is teach some classes, which I very much enjoy. I also "mentor" a few ladies so that they can have a friend/someone who cares about them while they go through some life changes, and help them as I can.

Other hobbies I enjoy are carting my children to any function they have, and scurrying to the next while trying to make sure everyone has food to eat between car rides. Thankfully the summer is slower than fall/winter when Tae Kwon Do/Dance/Cheerleading are all going on. (well, it is something I endure rather than enjoy I guess)

Lately, I have found this silly scrabble blast gome on-line, and I love word games, so I play this now. I also liked the word bump game and things like tetris and minesweeper, so if I have a bit of time, I like these sorts of things, although it isn't as much time as many of you get to spend on your hobbies.
Amasa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:

Hah. Found you! I'M a WoT addict myself, I used to spend lots of times on WoT forums reading theories and complex stuff about those novels... you should try going to the WoT message board on wotmania.com, you'd see what I'M talking about... This series is so much deeper than it seems. Anyways, at the moment I'm just waiting for the 12th and last book to come out. Very Happy I just love this series, I'd recommend it to anyone, although some of the last books aren't too great.

Oh my... That site is fantastic! I'm very scared to click too freely though since I still have four books to read and don't want to see any spoilers. I can see myself spending hours on that site once I finish New Spring and want more.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I like to go to the movies alot, pretty much every friday, or when a new one comes out.
I like to swim in the summer.
I love amusment parks.
Addicted to Kareoke revolution for ps2
And Addicted to DBZ video games. Only one I haven't beaten and I'm half way done.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Max power wrote:
I have two hobbies that take much of my spair time. I first got into aquariums a while ago, I fell in love with a fresh water fish named "discus". They take alot of time to care for them because they need very clean water ( I was doing a 50% water change daily). Although they are alot of work, they are well worth it in my view. I then got into poison dart frogs, they are beautiful and a ton of fun to watch. They are as bold as can be... they must know they are poisonous Laughing.

Hey cool another aquarist (I think that's the right term). I don't have pictures of it because the fish are very small, but my aquarium overall looks rather nice. So I noticed with your discus fish, yes I am quite familiar with how they need very constant water conditions but I noticed there's no gravel, plants or ornamentation in your tank. Is that because those things may disrupt the water quality? They are very beautiful fish but I only consider fish as a part of an artificial aquatic habitat. I feel that an aquarium is only complete if it has a more balanced ecosystem. Not to criticize your setup but I'm just picky about making a setup as close to a natural habitat as possible.

So yeah that's my main, non-anime hobby. I used to have 3 aquariums all running but I just don't have the time anymore to maintain all 3.
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
Well I have a deep interest in both football ('soccer') and cricket. But can't really play either. Football is one of the things that can rile me but I've mellowed out (two years ago I punched a hole in our wooden toilet door after my team lost Sad

I've always enjoyed reading but recently haven't done so much, however manga has helped me not slack so much. I enjoy horror and science fiction with Michael Crichton still being my favorite author, ever since I read the Lost World when I was eight.

I've always, always enjoyed writing. Nowadays I mainly explore that by writing fanfiction Confused

Is thinking an interest? I often daydream and imagine numerous things, contemplating how different events could pan out, how shows/anime/books could have happened, making up stories in my head and even imagining what I'd do in certain things- from Jurassic Park to Evangelion.

I am also involved in some online sports games- Hattrick, Battrick and PStar.

I really really enjoy listening to music. Sometimes in combination with the interest above I'll sit for ages, listening to music imagining narratives in my head. I'm also keen on sporadic fits of unplanned dancing...despite the fact I can't dance.

I'm also a keen fan of this thing we call Television. Lost, 24, House, Prison Break (but there better not be a fourth season) South Park, Scrubs and so on. My favorite is classic Simpsons and I really hate the newer seasons.

I also consider myself a casual gamer, but I haven't brought a game since January due to manga/anime, I just can't see the point in spending £40 on a game when I know I'll lose interest after a couple of weeks.

I also enjoy the random things I learn while trawling from the internet- from a psychological theory on wikipedia to a new word to AMV. If it wasn't for the internet I would have never got into anime.

I like internet forums too.
Haohmaru Of The Wind69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Metal music(Megadeth is my fave band. Dave Mustaine is my idol. I love going to concerts.)

Dungeons and Dragons(Raistlin Majere the wizard is my faev character)

Magic:The gathering(been playing it since '97 when the rathi dragon came out)

Electric guitar(I like collecting these and refuse to play jazz, blues rap and/or spanish music. All I play is metal)

Video games(Snk is my fave company. Samurai Showodown is the best game ever for having Haohmaru and Nakoruru in the best graphics for a game ever)

Kendo(I need to get a bokken, I used to have a real wooden sword like Kaoru Kamiya has)

Judo(Ryoko Tamura is the best one at this and she looks elite hot in the game world heroes 2. She's a real girl though)
Raicho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I like watching movies with Johnny Depp in them. (Is a huge Depp fangirl.) I especially love Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon and Secret Window. I also like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, there was one summer when I watched The Two Towers practically everyday. Oh, and Labyrinth, Labyrinth is an awesome movie, especially considering it was made two years before I was born.

Other than those I’m really enjoying the Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix, Superior Saturday will be out in like, nine months, then we’ve got Lord Sunday and it’s done!
Max power

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
So I noticed with your discus fish, yes I am quite familiar with how they need very constant water conditions but I noticed there's no gravel, plants or ornamentation in your tank. Is that because those things may disrupt the water quality? They are very beautiful fish but I only consider fish as a part of an artificial aquatic habitat. I feel that an aquarium is only complete if it has a more balanced ecosystem. Not to criticize your setup but I'm just picky about making a setup as close to a natural habitat as possible.

For the most part I completely agree with you. For fish such as african cichlids or other fish, I would put them in a tank that looked natural. By natural I mean biotype... not just the generic look. Discus are a rare exception though, I want to grow my discus as large as possible, then breed them. Discus have a very high protein diet (high protein = high nitrite). The higher the nitite levels the slower the growth, so things like gravel and such which makes the levels of nitrite (bits of food and waste collect) will make growing out discus a living hell. It's perfectly fine to put adults in planted tanks (gravel) because gowing is not a concern. Once my fish become adults I either breed them or sell them off, gravel in a breeding tank is a no no. The only balenced ecosystem you need is the biofiltration, a bare bottom tank is the simplest way to have a good ecosystem. Discus love bare bottom tanks, thats why they grow to be tank busters in them... they would only grow half the size in a planted tank.

If you ever get pictures of your tanks, I'd love to see them.
Truered

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
I finally found a picture that explains a recent activity I do (normally unintentionally)

Oh and I like dogs. I really like dogs the stupid goofy creatures that they are. For several years I had planned on being a vet...but I find chemisty boring and dislike maths, and needing a high A in both at A-level I decided against it (I knew I couldn't get the grades, and after work experience I knew I wasn't the type of person who wanted to have an animals life in his hands). I like many animals, from cats to (domesticated) rats. No rabid things though.

I have a dream of one day publishing a book...with the rise of POD all I need is a spark of inspiration.

Oh and I really like the TV series House
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10