• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Int'l Manga Award Winner I Kill Giants Gets Hollywood Live-Action Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
During the 90s a lot of adult comic book readers started coming out of the closet. Since comics were consider to be things for children, more so than today. they made them dark and gritty, so they would seem mature.

Oh, something of an entire medium's equivalent to the tween desperately trying to be taken seriously by smoking cigarettes and swearing like a sailor?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh, something of an entire medium's equivalent to the tween desperately trying to be taken seriously by smoking cigarettes and swearing like a sailor?

Pretty much:
Consider the Frank Miller/Alan Moore fanboys who wrote and read comics in the 90's the generational comic-industry equivalent of today's Chris Nolan/Zack Snyder fanboys who gush over Dark Knight and think all Warner-DC superhero movies should be gray, ponderous, posing and depressing, while the Marvel movies clean up doing what they always do.

And, said fans doing it for pretty much the exact same symbolic-overcompensating reasons that hadn't really applied for the last few years: Rolling Eyes
The 90's Miller fans had the 60's Batman nagging at them, just like the Dark Knight Movie had the Fantastic Four movie nagging at it.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
while the Marvel movies clean up doing what they always do.

Right, because Punisher, Daredevil, Blade, Ultimate and MAX imprint never existed.

I don't get the hate towards Dark Age, people love them some Kawajiri, Gantz and Blame, yet when it comes down to western comic books sex and violence are suddenly becomes a bad things.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the Dark Age certainly had some good stories in them. Some REALLY good Batman stuff came out during that time, for instance. But regardless of your themes and atmosphere, it's not going to work when the writing is bad. My point is that you had a lot of stuff coming out during the Dark Age, most of them from Image, where making it appear as dark, violent, and sexually charged as they could was done at the expense of narrative quality.

And really, the Dark Age happened in the first place because of Watchmen, and everyone else wanted to imitate it at the surface level without understanding why Watchmen was (and still is) so well-liked.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I don't get the hate towards Dark Age, people love them some Kawajiri, Gantz and Blame, yet when it comes down to western comic books sex and violence are suddenly becomes a bad things

Japan and America have different cultural standards, and the people who inhabit those hobbies have fundamentally different ideologies. I agree there's a lot of hate being directed towards the dark comics in general over the past few years. When I heard about that recent Batgirl cover being censored, I also read a lot of scathing criticisms about The Killing Joke it was referencing. A few years ago, The Killing Joke was considered a masterpiece by comicbook fans and one of the essential Batman stories. Now it seems a lot of progressives are slandering it as well as other famous comics of the 80s and 90s on the grounds of them having problematic content. We seem to be witnessing a counterculture pop up in the west.

-Stuart Smith
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
When I heard about that recent Batgirl cover being censored, I also read a lot of scathing criticisms about The Killing Joke it was referencing. A few years ago, The Killing Joke was considered a masterpiece by comicbook fans and one of the essential Batman stories.

For all I know The Killing Joke is still considered to be among greatest comic books ever. I don't think any real Bats fan out there gonna bash it. That being said, I never heard about that Batgirl cover issue, but I know that masses protested against Orson Scott Card's involvement in Superman because of his views on homosexuality. That has nothing to do with sex or violence though, if anyone thinks that all western comic books are family friendly I recommend them to read Crossed, Garth Ennis outdone himself.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
And really, the Dark Age happened in the first place because of Watchmen, and everyone else wanted to imitate it at the surface level without understanding why Watchmen was (and still is) so well-liked.

Namely, that Alan Moore liked to pretentiously skewer American and British sacred cows for his own, um....personal issues, especially his own industry self-loathing of American red-white-and-blue comics, and it just happened to get attention at the same time as Miller's Batman revival which, to be fair, needed it.

I remember a review in defense of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie (and responding to the howls of fan rage that they, gasp, didn't leave in all the dark R-rated bits) beginning, "Okay, just for the sake of argument, pretend for the moment that you're not an angry Alan Moore uber-fanboy..."
That seems to be the problem with the 90's Dark Age as well: Comics were being rediscovered, and a few fluke art titles hit at the same time, and all of a sudden, the 80's kids who had become 90's high school and college kids decided that the comic industry now belonged to THEM, and their holy crusade to give it Artistic Credibility by being dark and rule breaking...But just for the sake of argument, pretend you weren't a pretentiously showing off comic fanboy, and you were a fifth or sixth-grade kid who could start buying his own Avengers and X-Men comics, wanted to think that your heroes were kewl, and didn't want dark deconstructions where they were killed off, went crazy, had abusive relationships or became zombies.
That either got lost in the shuffle, or immediately fan-demonized as "You want to make it a kiddy industry again??"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't screw it up. Joe Kelly is a massive talent who wrote my favorite run of Deadpool comics back in the 90s and my favorite Superman story of all time, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" (which was adapted for Superman vs The Elite). I haven't read this particular graphic novel yet, but I've been meaning to, because ComicsAlliance was pushing it pretty hard.

This could be the next Scott Pilgrim, in terms of independent comic-turned-movie hit if they play their cards right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
This could be the next Scott Pilgrim, in terms of independent comic-turned-movie hit if they play their cards right.

Wasn't Scott Pilgrim one of the biggest flops ever though? I don't think they want it to go the way of Scott Pilgrim. I know they would never do an animated Scott Pilgrim because animation doesn't sell, but for how poor the movie was received and did it would have at least made it stood out as being one of the few animated adaptions.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Wasn't Scott Pilgrim one of the biggest flops ever though? I don't think they want it to go the way of Scott Pilgrim. I know they would never do an animated Scott Pilgrim because animation doesn't sell, but for how poor the movie was received and did it would have at least made it stood out as being one of the few animated adaptions.

It bombed at the box office, but I wouldn't call 82% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.5 on IMDB poorly received. More like the story itself had limited appeal for mass audience.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Wasn't Scott Pilgrim one of the biggest flops ever though?

Not even close - it only cost $60 million to make, and recouped half that. And like geek movies nowadays, became a cult hit.

• Scott Pilgrim vs. the World premiered after a panel discussion at the San Diego Comic-Con International on July 22, 2010. It received a wide release in North America on August 13, 2010, in 2,818 theaters. The film finished fifth on its first weekend of release with a total of $10.5 million. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, but it failed to recoup its production budget during its release in theaters, grossing $31.5 million in North America and $16 million internationally. The film has fared better on home formats, becoming the top-selling Blu-ray on Amazon.com on its first day of sale, and has gained a cult following.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:
Wasn't Scott Pilgrim one of the biggest flops ever though?

Not even close - it only cost $60 million to make, and recouped half that. And like geek movies nowadays, became a cult hit.

Although, like Sucker Punch, it was one of those cult movies where the cult that had heard of it thought it would be the biggest smash success, because someone had finally made it.
Problem is, it was made for those people, and there just weren't that darn many of them. The first thing a comic adaptation must do if it wants to go mainstream is persuade, a word not in Zack Snyder's holy-comic-fanboy dictionary.
(Which brings us back to the issue of why the League movie was "watered down" into something not as weirdo.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2