• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Shame And Atonement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
Can't help but wonder if they'd do the same if they reaired the remastered version of Sailor Moon; that final battle against Beryl is some flashy stuff!

That is a good question, is there a way we can get the 1st broadcast version and the remastered version for comparison purpose?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Poor Porygon, it wasn't even his fault. It was Pikachu's. But Pikachu being more marketable, Porygon got thrown under the bus, and is barely featured anywhere (you can summon him in Smash Bros games with a random Pokeball, though).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's happened over and over again, from Noriko Sakai, to Taishi of Psycho Le Cemu, to Shigeaki "Aska" Miyazaki of Chage and Aska.

That should be "Daishi" instead of Taishi. I miss Psycho le Cemu Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Poor Porygon, it wasn't even his fault. It was Pikachu's. But Pikachu being more marketable, Porygon got thrown under the bus, and is barely featured anywhere (you can summon him in Smash Bros games with a random Pokeball, though).

Now if having a modern Pokemon game with a Game Corner was that easy.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Being in Australia I couldn't find the Crunchyroll app for my playstation3, this was a year ago so maybe that has changed now.

spoiler[Anyway, if it's still not available then simply create a new account with a U.S. address. It worked for me. However, there were still some shows missing.]
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Now if having a modern Pokemon game with a Game Corner was that easy.

Blame Europe for that, the US didn't give a care nor anyone else. They should at least offer the Japanese and US versions with the game corner still in.
Antonio Bravo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder...Sadly ONLY THREE WMT WERE DUBBED! I know we shave Smile Of a Child TV airing Swiss Family Robinson and Little Women. You think SOAC should also air Tom Sawyer and The Animax Dubs of Sara and Remi? Also Discotek is the only one? Seriously? Funimation can do it too. So can Sentai.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
About the Poke-mon seizure thing. That warning was a waste of time anyway, but the studios did it to make it look like they were doing something and covering their collective arses from any litigation. If someone is photo epileptic, watching something strobing with the lights on and sitting back, unless it's metres away back, isn't going to save them from a seizure, and people will watch their receivers anyway they wish regardless.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Antonio Bravo wrote:
I wonder...Sadly ONLY THREE WMT WERE DUBBED! I know we shave Smile Of a Child TV airing Swiss Family Robinson and Little Women. You think SOAC should also air Tom Sawyer and The Animax Dubs of Sara and Remi? Also Discotek is the only one? Seriously? Funimation can do it too. So can Sentai.

There were a number of WMT English dubs that might have been shown in the USA/Canada but weren't as well known. It could be that said dubs I saw on YouTube were Animax dubs (some probably were).
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
It's likely the strobe-lighting effects aren't as much of a concern these days due to the switchover to digital TV broadcasting. Analog TV screens were harder on the eyes.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
genkisakurachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
While the "please sit back from the TV" warnings are something I haven't seen in a while, there are definitely quite a few recent anime that have what seem to be anti-seizure measures in place, and will momentarily darken the screen during scenes that have a lot of fast movement and bright, flashy colors. I've noticed it in the broadcast versions of Kill La Kill, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun's opening, and the first two episodes of The Rolling Girls.

I have a feeling it might serve as a new form of "buy the BluRays if you want to see that part without the filter!" as well.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I still see the 'watch in a well lit room' warnings. The early morning kids shows do have 'em. Sometimes just a subtitle on broadcasts, and less so on disc releases.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan does have a small but real meth problem (to the point where they've completely banned the over-the-counter ingredient pseudoephedrine).

Ah, one of the frustrations of living in Japan and getting pollen-related allergy flare ups a few times a year. Medicine with pseudoephedrine was pretty much the only thing I found in the US that relieved my symptoms.

Japan's medicines can remove some of the symptoms, but the severe sinus pressure that makes my nose feel tickled inside and, as a result, my eyes water and I am constantly sneezing - THAT I only seem to get relief from thanks to pseudoephedrine. So yeah... it sucks.

And you know what? It's nearly April. The time of year that the cherry blossoms bloom. It's beautiful, but god am I dreading when the allergies will kick in.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Carlooo wrote:

Also, on the drugs issue, the composer of the Death Note and Kaiji soundtracks also got busted for some drugs related issue. I have never seen a show with one of his soundtracks after that.

His last soundtrack credit was years before the arrest, so it's unlikely the two are related.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What that Pokemon seizure thing caused that you do still see is action scenes being dramatically dimmed in the TV broadcast when a lot's happening on screen. And this is for late night anime that kids aren't watching.

which in my case is the biggest case of overreaction in history. i watched the fansubs of that ep during that time and again when pieces of it showed on youtube and nothing happened. the same thing happened when others watched that ep on youtube before the big n went all copyright violation on the people that uploaded it.

i got no seizure nor did any of the kids my sister was babysitting. its pretty obvious that western audience have a bigger tolerance to those lights that the japaneese kids saw so while i can understand why it would be banned in japan, there is no reason at all that ep should also be banned in the US shores. the same goes with the team rocket vs team plasma ep .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6