• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Agency for Cultural Affairs Opens Web Database for Manga, Anime, Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea, you do have a point there.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
@mdo7
Again, I fail to see what any of your comments have to do with a web database for manga, anime and games.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Japan to leaving us English-speakers out of another nice thing.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
@mdo7
An English translation would be for the use of the millions of people in the world who can read English but cannot read Japanese.
How well Japanese students learn English is not relevant because they can read the site in Japanese.

@Kadmos1
Japan is not leaving us English speakers out of it. We have access to the database.
If we choose not to learn enough Japanese to use the database then we are leaving ourselves out of it.

I would definitely like to see an English translation, and I think that the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs would probably like to do a translation because it would help to spread the influence of Japanese culture. Unfortunately, since the database has almost 400 thousand entries a translation would probably be prohibitively expensive, at least anytime soon.

But I do expect that we will be seeing some unofficial translations of portions of the database popping up on the web.

Whether it gets translated or not I consider this database to be a remarkable accomplishment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
They are leaving us out of it in the sense that they don't have an English version.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Not accommodating is nowhere near the same thing as leaving out.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm unsure what crucial, must-have information you think they're keeping from you in the first place. (if there's something you'd like to know about, give me an example title or something and I'll let you know what there is to find out.) Basically, this is a database of titles of things that exist (books, magazines, anime, etc), with release dates, artists/staff, phonetic reading of the Japanese names/titles (in katakana)... a lot of this info can be found on other English-language sites already, and probably in a more accessible, aesthetically-pleasing website format (this database is text-only so it's not particularly exciting to look at).

Asking for a translation of everything would mean determining whether to fully, literally translate titles (some things may not have official titles, or may have multiple "English" titles) or leave them romaji, and then determine which standard romaji spelling to use (for vowels and certain consonant sounds), resolve "duplicate" names that are pronounced the same but maybe spelled with different kanji, and probably dozens of other issues. It sounds like a real pain to me, when I expect most of the people obsessive enough to care about all this information will be reading it in Japanese anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2