• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Tragically Unlicensed Shojo Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Threw in Makoto Shishio for the poll. I was kind of surprised that Rurouni Kenshin had not been represented yet.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
For me Nurse Angel Ririka would be on that list - it's a surprisingly dark magical girl show for its time (90s) and Ririka herself is a terrific heroine. Plus that ending...!

Nurse Angel Ririka is the show I would most like to see licensed, not just among shoujo, but among all anime. That show is just excellent.

Agent355 wrote:
What about Please Save My Earth and Basara? Both stories have limited anime adaptations (IIRC, PSME was an OVA), but I've heard good things, and maybe making their anime available in English would reignite an interest in their original manga, which would convince Viz to license more series like them, or even to re-release those titles in print! (Dreams, dreams...) Smile

Basara was also excellent, and is my second-favorite manga of all time. I'm not sure the anime version would do it justice though. It just such a small piece of the manga that you miss out on a a lot, both in terms of the plot and in terms of character development for the characters. Also, since the story is basically taking place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I felt the anime looked rather drab looking (lots of brown settings), while the manga didn't suffer from that problem (in part because manga is in black and white, in part because of the gorgeous cover illustrations, and also just because they go places that look more interesting later in the story). I still liked the anime a lot, but I think anyone who can get a hold of the manga is better off reading it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
So looking at the poll and its got some of the Gunslinger Girls on it, but no Triela? She's considered the genius of the group both in combat and general brain power. Some of the other girls are questionable since Claes is mostly a spoiler[non-combatant bookworm] and Angelica is spoiler[sickly and suffers from Alzheimers like condition]. I'm not sure those two qualify in the most deadly category.

I might vote for Golgo 13, but maybe I'll just add Triela.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I expected to see "never licensed" shows (like Hurse Angel, or Precure or Red Riding Hood ChaCha) rather than mostly "lapsed licenses". Confused
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
So looking at the poll and its got some of the Gunslinger Girls on it, but no Triela? She's considered the genius of the group both in combat and general brain power. Some of the other girls are questionable since Claes is mostly a spoiler[non-combatant bookworm] and Angelica is spoiler[sickly and suffers from Alzheimers like condition]. I'm not sure those two qualify in the most deadly category.

Triela! That's her name! It's been a while since I've read or watched GSG, and going through the list I was like "the one with the twin pony tails....not on this list..." She's easily one of the strongest cyborgs for the organization.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Part of me thinks that as it hasn't actually been released yet, Sailor Moon Stars should still be topping the list. Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru is more of a sports anime with Shojo element.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Hikari no Densetsu get licensed. I know it's a sports anime, but its classified under shojo and ran in a shojo magazine. It's probably unlikely that it will get licensed considering it's from the 80's tho, but a girl can dream.
Antonio Bravo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody said World Masterpiece Theater like these Shojo titles:
Les Miserables:Shojo Cosette
A Little Princess Sara
Remi:Nobody's Girl
Before Green Gables
Anne of Green Gables

I doubt Discotek will buy The WMT if only it happens.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Chihayafuru is more of a sports anime with Shojo element.

It ran in a jousei magazine so it's jousei not shoujo. Of course it is a very good sports anime as well. Would love to see the manga and anime licensed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Rather than arguing over the genre, it's the "tragically unlicensed" that was my stumbling block when I started reading the entries. Yes, if the license has lapsed, then technically they're currently unlicensed, but if they did get a release in their day, some even dubbed, I can't see that lapse as "tragic," especially when copies of some are still available if you look. In other words, I was expecting a list of good series aimed at the distaff side of the aisle that had never seen a legal release in North America.

And for added stupid: I'd heard the title Hataraki Man before, but always assumed it was a super-hero series. Embarassed Laughing Now that I know what it's really about, I'd like to see it, so I'm glad that was included.

Man, that poll itself was a killer. Too many great choices. Ein and Kirika are pretty much the same character, but they'd top my list and I ended up going with Kirika, since I'd just been thinking about rewatching Noir recently, and about all the myriad ways she MacGyvers what's at hand to get the job done.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
This one's more old-school, but everyone's been wanting They Were 11 to get rescued. Also, it'd be nice if whoever owned that X/1999 music video uploaded the damned thing legally, so they could get paid for it again. Just saying. [See also: Hayao Miyazaki's On Your Mark.] And, of course, there's the one allegedly stuck in bitter feud licensing hell, Candy Candy. 8-)
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Funimation actually rescued Paradise Kiss and released a collection with their logo on the back, so it didn't exactly die with Geneon. Funi must've just quietly let their rights expire.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Rather than arguing over the genre, it's the "tragically unlicensed" that was my stumbling block when I started reading the entries.

genre is important to consider. if it's sports, it doesn't do well in US.

Kuroko no Basket was huge in Japan. Because it's a sports manga/anime, it still don't have English release yet. CR streams most of the sports anime. No other companies give a damn.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Of the Gunslinger Girls I always felt that Roco was to most dangerous. She always seemed to really enjoy beating the shite out of people. I always felt that one of the strongest episodes of Gunslinger Girls (apart from anything with Pinocchio in it) was the episode where Rico spoiler[has to kill the boy she befriends when he witnesses her assinating a hotel guest.].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7