• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Thawing Out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Anybody familiar with or have read manhwa? South Korea has taken manhwa to a whole new level, anybody know what webtoon are? Webtoon are digital manhwa with color. Before webtoons, manhwa used to be black and white (they used the same type of paper like Japan's manga did), but now thanks to digital technology and the internet, manhwa was "upgraded" with color into webtoons. I've talked to one of the moderator, Willag on this via PM (I also send some informations/videos about South Korea's Webtoons to ANN newsroom, and I'm not sure if ANN will report on it as a interest article). But if you want to see manga in color, webtoons will come close to that. If Japan's manga industry can transition manga into digital manga (or Japan's equivalent of webtoon like South Korea did), then you could see your manga in color in the future, but I'm not sure if that'll happen. I don't want to derail the topic any further, if you want to ask me about webtoons, PM me.

I don't think you're derailing the topic: korean webtoons are certainly an alternative for those who want to read colored manga but would still wish they were a bit "out there", and there are some seriously interesting webcomics being released, Tower of God being probably the most famous out of all.

I understand from your POV, but I think a lot of people keep complaining to me about my love of K-pop/South Korean pop culture on various threads (the mods have complain about that to me several times in the past). So that's why I don't want to put too much emphasis on webtoons on this thread, I don't want people and moderators to complain to me about that.

Also, Tower of God is not the only webtoon you may enjoy. Try Hive, it's like Highschool of the Dead (The Walking Dead would be more appropriate for comparison) minus over the top fanservice, minus the high school setting, minus whatever issues you had with that show, but replace zombies with giant bugs. Overall, I found Hive to be quite innovative from most post-apocalyptic "zombie" stories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ladybastet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I really wouldn't want full color manga. I love drawings and many of my favorite manga I just like the look of. I bought the entire set of xxxHolic in paper after I had read it just because I wanted to be able to look at it again. I love the color pages but I also love the play of black & white on the page as well.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
When it comes to the Sunrise titles, what Justin said is definitely true for the older stuff like Outlaw Star and Escaflowne, but even Code Geass, which is a more recent show, seems to be stuck in this debacle.

Barbobot wrote:

While Code Geass is certainly not as old as the other two, you have to remember that season 2 is almost 7 years old at this point. It's not really new either.

maximilianjenus wrote:

code {Homophobic slurs are not allowed. ~nbahn} is still getting enw stuff released, tho; iirc it has an ova series ongoing.

{Fixed your inline quotes. ~nbahn}
It's also the only show in the group besides Cowboy Bebop that shows up very frequently on "top 10 anime ever" lists.
And it also has a big shiny new Bluray box coming out in Japan, which could be an issue. And I'm hoping against all hope that when FUNi finally does something with it, they'll include the wonderful (and story-important) bonus episodes, most of which were dubbed with the original release.
I just hope it really is just the usual struggle for materials and such...
Also, there's times when using that pun on the title is homophobic... and there's times when it means "I love this show because it's full of adorable gay boys who deserve to be happy together, and who have nice butts." It depends on whether it's coming from a fujoshi or a 14-year-old gamer pothead. From that spelling, though, yeah, I'll agree with the mod.

((.... pleeeease, FUNi.... I need Lulu on bluray... ))
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
hey, I am a 34 year old guy and no much of a gamer; nice to see that people are now throwing gamer as an insult now.
code {Deleted by request. ~nbahn} is simply how I refer to the show when I am around, no strings attached; I unerstand that not being acceptable in this forum, hell there is a forum I go to in which suing the word gay itself is a banable offense to avo id any problems, kind of liek the N word. But i don't condone doing personal insults, much less sexist ones.
CookieBun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Also, Tower of God is not the only webtoon you may enjoy. Try Hive, it's like Highschool of the Dead (The Walking Dead would be more appropriate for comparison) minus over the top fanservice, minus the high school setting, minus whatever issues you had with that show, but replace zombies with giant bugs. Overall, I found Hive to be quite innovative from most post-apocalyptic "zombie" stories.

When it comes to post-apocalyptic "zombie" stories, I like Dead Days more than Hive. I feel like it has more nuance than Hive, which still has the generic heroes vs bad people mobs. Also, Hive still has little bit of the leery fan-service vibe (although it's nowhere near as extreme as HSoD) while Dead Days doesn't.

Err, I hope I haven't went off topics either. I just agree with mdo7 that Korean webtoons are a great color alternative to manga and Korea is not merely secondary to Japan as it was in the b&w days. Webtoons are establishing themselves as both familiar but refreshingly different (different culture, more digitally tailored) from manga. I assume the industry will just keep on growing, but the webtoons have already taken a firm root in Korean culture, much like manga serialization magazines have done in Japan. It's pretty crazy how quickly things have changed over the last few years.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus--
Words that can be reasonably construed as being hateful simply cannot be tolerated. Please do not use that term again. Thank you.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
yeah,I understand and respect that (as I said I understand the site that forbids the use of the word gay completely); I don't like that it seems to be carte blanche for an unrelated party to come and insult me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's true, Funimation is taking a risk here. The risk isn't in the speed of the dubbing they're doing -- the fact that they own their own studio, have their own in-house staff engineers and directors, and can basically just cast a bunch of voice actors for all of the different shows they're dubbing at once, and can rotate them through the studios like they're playing musical chairs, means that their actual costs for dubbing this show will likely be about the same as if they'd done it on a normal schedule.

that may be the case, but would doing this normally mean paying the VA more?

However, considering how successful space dandy was with its simul-dub broadcasting as well as attack of titan and psycho pass is ,the pain for the pricing might be worth it. Also its surprising that their not doing it more often with other series they licensed that are popular over there.especially with the new fairy tail series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
also makes you wonder if they have not just optimized their dubbing costs, happens a lot in business; there are some resources that costs thousands if not tens of thousands for other companies to produce but my company is develop methods so the cost goes to the hundreds tens of hundreds tops.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
I'm sure there's a lot of badly coloured manga out there (just with American comics) but I think the lack of color is more due to tight schedules. The color pages in Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond are superior to most American comics I can think of. Some 40-60 page French albums can take a year to finish and American comics are typically published in monthly 30 page "books" -of which roughly only 20 pages are actual comics.

This is what I wanted to say too. A lot of manga is published in weekly magazines, as opposed to comic books monthly issues. There just isn't enough time to color. (That said, sometimes the level of effort that goes into cutting out all the screentones for shoujo manga makes me think it would have been much easier for the artist to just color the damn thing with markers)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
You do routinely seen full color doujinshi show up, and you know what, it really doesn't enhance the experience by that much. I guess it's a nice extra, but having good art is still more important. Also, eromanga tanks tend to have some lead-in color pages at the beginning and maybe the middle, because those were featured chapters in the monthly publications. Like the doujinshi, they're nice, but not crucial and not really a buying point.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:

Err, I hope I haven't went off topics either. I just agree with mdo7 that Korean webtoons are a great color alternative to manga and Korea is not merely secondary to Japan as it was in the b&w days. Webtoons are establishing themselves as both familiar but refreshingly different (different culture, more digitally tailored) from manga. I assume the industry will just keep on growing, but the webtoons have already taken a firm root in Korean culture, much like manga serialization magazines have done in Japan. It's pretty crazy how quickly things have changed over the last few years.

Their over reliance of everything digital would prove to be a bane for those who would like to physically own said webtoons. In such a case the author pulls his content from the web space, a lot of people would lose access to reading it unless there are groups who save the images and print it out which could potentially open a can of worms. What these webtoon artists need to do is to stretch their hand on the tried and true paper publishing route with manwha. It'll attract more of an audience who are unable to access the internet to check their product while generating more revenue than just ads and page views. Don't underestimate the power of paper. It is still going strong.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

that may be the case, but would doing this normally mean paying the VA more?

only if someone has to go back into the booth and re-record something due to a mistake made earlier or something like an extra scene was added in the finalized version of the show
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
yeah,I understand and respect that (as I said I understand the site that forbids the use of the word gay completely); I don't like that it seems to be carte blanche for an unrelated party to come and insult me.

Perhaps I missed it, but I did not notice anyone insulting you. The site also forbids you using gay as a prejoritive. And I can see why the Mod made the decision that they made. Surely you can mock Code Geass without using a word that could be taken as a homophobic slur?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I was not even intending to mock it, which makes the situation more ackward.

the person who called me a 14 year old gamer was the one insulting me. I never intended to contest (?) the mdoerator's action, every site has it's rules adn it's up to me wheterh I respect them or just leave the site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7