• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Right On DeMarco

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why there's so much desire for "Made in the USA" animation on Toonami as if having several Korean animated, Bruce Timm inspired, DC superhero shows would somehow bring in more diversity to the lineup. Toonami airs action animation TV series and Japan just produces it in far greater quantity.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Very interesting to hear that the current block's length is what Jason DeMarco was trying for, and that it was actually the higher ups that wanted all those late-night reruns. It isn't quite as concerning to know that the decline in the ratings and eventual shortening of the block was something that was expected to happen sooner or later.

Yeah it was interesting to hear but I'm not sure that I can really buy it even if he says it, the way it went down on such short notice with virtually no warning lead time added to the panic from many us. I dunno, I guess it's possible, but it also reads like saving face.

Whether or not you buy it, that's TV business. Something he mentioned in another recent interview on the Toonami Faithful Podcast that I don't think was mentioned here is that television changes a lot or it can change a lot and it can happen suddenly without being told. Not much of the changes are obvious to us, the viewers, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. For instance, with the whole, "losing Sym-bionic Titan, Star Wars: TCW and Beware the Batman", that was believe it or not, brought up by the Legal department on short notice. No one else was aware, not even head of programming, Kim Manning. From the legal department's point-of-view, if a show is cancelled and off-air long enough, even if the network still technically has the rights to air it, then it's considered forgotten.

That's not something you or I or anyone likes to hear or deal with, not even Jason DeMarco. But apparently that can happen sometimes.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
But what's preventing DeMarco from picking run of the mill action series from Viz/Funi? I'm not taking about the popular flavors of the month or the nostalgia Toonami series. I'm talking about those 13-50 episode series from 2000-2010s.

Why not go after series like Accel World, Air Gear, Baccano, Buso Renkin, Birdy, Darker than Black,Full Metal Panic, GunXSword, Jormungand, KenIchi, Nura, Panty & Stocking, etc...

Shorter shows that can be switch out after one run that keep the Toonami somewhat fresh because they haven't aired on TV before.

When they did Samurai 7 (I thought they might do Last Exile too), I thought that was a clue they might grab some of the big action shows from those missed years to fill in the schedule along with the brand new shows because they might be cheaper to get and would still draw a Toonami audience really well like Birdy, DTB, FMP, Gun X Sword, etc.

Though I guess they kind of were, since Gurren Lagann is currently in it's first Toonami run.

Perhaps the price difference between newer and older isn't as dramatic as expected?

Speaking of the new shows he said might be coming, I'm still curious if since Black Lagoon did well they'll do Jormungand, which I think would be great. Same for Psycho-Pass which would do well with the GITS audience.

They have been getting old shows they missed out on and used them to fill in gaps. Like you said Gurren, Samurai 7, Black Lagoon, and Soul Eater are all examples of that.

At the same time I'm kind of upset they missed their chance to capitalize on the fame of other series which made those series end up being put on somewhere else and now they probably don't have as much appeal as they would have before; but they did air Blue Exorcist and finally picked up Final Act so maybe there is still hope, slim as it may be, of them getting Tiger and Bunny.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
At the same time I'm kind of upset they missed their chance to capitalize on the fame of other series which made those series end up being put on somewhere else and now they probably don't have as much appeal as they would have before; but they did air Blue Exorcist and finally picked up Final Act so maybe there is still hope, slim as it may be, of them getting Tiger and Bunny.

We're referring to a bunch of folks in their 30s and 40s who despite liking anime, they don't keep track of all the latest anime the more hardcore fans watch due to lack of time. Running Toonami and providing bumps, promos, music videos and game reviews and such is just part of what Jason, Gill and the rest of the small crew does at Adult Swim. They don't even get paid for doing that. They have more primary jobs at Adult Swim that they commit to and get paid for and because all of those things take up so much of their time, some shows that may we may be aware of that are popular they may be oblivious to until they're offered the shows from whatever company.

At this point, what helps best is if enough people request something like Tiger and Bunny to the Toonami tumblr page. I mean, I have my own handful of suggestions to air on the block, but they never end up among the five most requested shows to air on the block.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I know, many of the shows I'd like to see don't touch the Top 5 list they put out from time to time; the thing is none of them would be shows I would think are only known to the "hardcore fans" of anime.

I'm not talking about something like No Game No Life but things that are fairly mainstream and popular but evidently not enough, any more, to be on their radar. They look to mostly be focused on the hot off the presses and old nostalgia fuel right now which is great in some ways but not great in other ways.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
So Jason...what's your explanation about Young Justice doing good but CN cancelling it? Question
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
So Jason...what's your explanation about Young Justice doing good but CN cancelling it? Question

Did it do well... with its target audience I mean?
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:

Did it do well... with its target audience I mean?

No he didn't say that, he said if people are watching the show then it wouldn't be cancelled but that's not true, the ratings for YJ were as high as the crap they run like Adventure Time, despite how bad they treated it and how little they promoted it. Did it do good with it's target audience? I guess it did considering how high the ratings were. But let's just say it didn't hypothetically, let's say they cancelled it because not enough kids were watching and because of the real fact that there was no toy line, at the end of the day, it's the parents who's money is being spent on the toys and there's also the fact that both Turner Broadcasting and DC comics are essentially owned by Time Warner, meaning any revenue generating by both are going to the same place, so yeah
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:

No he didn't say that, he said if people are watching the show then it wouldn't be cancelled but that's not true, the ratings for YJ were as high as the crap they run like Adventure Time, despite how bad they treated it and how little they promoted it. Did it do good with it's target audience? I guess it did considering how high the ratings were. But let's just say it didn't hypothetically, let's say they cancelled it because not enough kids were watching and because of the real fact that there was no toy line, at the end of the day, it's the parents who's money is being spent on the toys and there's also the fact that both Turner Broadcasting and DC comics are essentially owned by Time Warner, meaning any revenue generating by both are going to the same place, so yeah

I don't think it did well with it's target audience, but seeing how they were airing it on Saturday mornings I think the only wanted that target audience.

If they had kept it on Friday nights like it was when it premiered then they probably wouldn't have had a problem with no getting the target audience. I think the same thing happened with Thundercats (2011) and Green Lantern:TAS.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
No he didn't say that, he said if people are watching the show then it wouldn't be cancelled but that's not true, the ratings for YJ were as high as the crap they run like Adventure Time, despite how bad they treated it and how little they promoted it. Did it do good with it's target audience? I guess it did considering how high the ratings were.

Young Justice did horrible with it's target audience of little boys. Same reason why Invader Zim, Tower Prep, and many other shows are cancelled despite not having overall terrible ratings. Same reason why Korra went to online and Beware the Batman got a terrible 3 AM deadslot to burn off all the remaining episodes. The problem is people who aren't the target demographic watching a show doesn't mean anything to it. You can have 5 million adults watching a kids show but if kids aren't watching it then the network isn't getting their money or selling their toys so it gets cancelled. CN execs have said they're targeting the younger demographic who are into silly shows like Adventure Time, Teen Titans Go, and Stephen Universe. Not teens or comic nerds who want shows with storylines or action.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
Drac wrote:

I'm not sure why there's so much desire for "Made in the USA" animation on Toonami as if having several Korean animated, Bruce Timm inspired, DC superhero shows would somehow bring in more diversity to the lineup. Toonami airs action animation TV series and Japan just produces it in far greater quantity.

Even anime don't do certain types, what with 9 of 10 concerning teen high school, so more diversity is always welcome.

Fedora-san wrote:

Same reason why Invader Zim,

Invader Zim was cancelled because Nickelodeon and creator Jhonen Vasquez couldn't co-exist.

Fedora-san wrote:

CN execs have said they're targeting the younger demographic who are into silly shows like Adventure Time, Teen Titans Go, and Stephen Universe. Not teens or comic nerds who want shows with storylines or action.

Teen Titans Go yeah, but I wouldn't call Adventure Time or Steven Universe silly. There's actually a method to their madness and storyline.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
In this society our overlords think the comic books-graphic novels, animation-cartoons are for kids and illiterates. And to paraphrase Sy Simms a stupid viewer is their best audience. Dumbing us down been their policy at least Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain I Never Let My Schooling Interfere With My Education. And a classic is a classic whether it's movies, music, books, animation-cartoons, television. The audience for American entertainment industry are drug addicts who want to fry their brains out or are to cowardly to kill themselves because of the depressing society they live in. Rolling Eyes
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:
No he didn't say that, he said if people are watching the show then it wouldn't be cancelled but that's not true, the ratings for YJ were as high as the crap they run like Adventure Time, despite how bad they treated it and how little they promoted it. Did it do good with it's target audience? I guess it did considering how high the ratings were.

Young Justice did horrible with it's target audience of little boys. Same reason why Invader Zim, Tower Prep, and many other shows are cancelled despite not having overall terrible ratings. Same reason why Korra went to online and Beware the Batman got a terrible 3 AM deadslot to burn off all the remaining episodes. The problem is people who aren't the target demographic watching a show doesn't mean anything to it. You can have 5 million adults watching a kids show but if kids aren't watching it then the network isn't getting their money or selling their toys so it gets cancelled. CN execs have said they're targeting the younger demographic who are into silly shows like Adventure Time, Teen Titans Go, and Stephen Universe. Not teens or comic nerds who want shows with storylines or action.

Actually the reason why Tower Prep was cancelled is because CN doesn't want girls watching their shows, Paul Dini gave an interview a while back explaining that CN doesn't want girls watching their shows. Here's the link to what he said http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/paul_dini_tower_prep_creator_says_cartoon_network_doesnt_want_girls-2013-12
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:

Pride more than anything else, I would guess. As it stands now, the only action animation being made is from Japan. Just like how Saturday morning cartoons ended up becoming mostly anime back in the early 2000s looking at Fox's line up. Some people kind of take it personally as a national pride sort of thing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

Pride more than anything else, I would guess. As it stands now, the only action animation being made is from Japan. Just like how Saturday morning cartoons ended up becoming mostly anime back in the early 2000s looking at Fox's line up. Some people kind of take it personally as a national pride sort of thing.

Not really. They don't care where it comes from, e.g. Cybersix, Code Lyoko, Totally Spies, Dragon Hunters, Huntik, W.I.T.C.H., Winx Club, Oban Star Racers, etc. off the top of the head. They just want more variety; who wouldn't?

But as DeMarco pointed out in the ANNcast, the Western technological advancement of 3DCG live-action hybrid has become the new action animation. What used to be can only be done thru animation can now also be done in 3DCG live-action, and since it's easier and more lucrative to produce one 2-hr action movie than the logistics of 26-ep action series - they can sell the same amount of merchandise and licenses, so they'll go with the movie.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4