• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Last: Naruto The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
^^^^----Just came back from Tempe myself to see if anybody caught the late showing as well. I did not think it was going to be sold out, but I am glad I bought my tickets early. Love how everybody was so into it too, they where right there Ooohing and Aahhing at the big scenes. I got to say I loved every minute of it. Will buy it as soon as it is released here. Very Happy
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:06 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I feel the review was biased.

The reviewer herself pointed out the major flaws of this movie such as recycled plots that was basically a repeat of the Madara fight, as well as a virtual clone of the first Shippuuden movie (replace Shion with Hinata). And an overly done cliche villain that you seen in a ton of times in anime, that just make it uninteresting to watch. And yet give it a superior rating, where surely professional movie critics would've frowned upon and gave it a "thumbs down".

spoiler[And dare I mention the stupidity of Hanabi being in trouble and her sister milking the attention away? The craziness on the moon, or the canonical retcons?]

If you ask me the ranking should've been:

Overall : D
Story : D
Animation : B+ (CGI ruined it in some spots)
Art : B
Music : C
Pen Expers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
The only "retcons" I can actually think of are pretty minor, all the supposed "retcons" I've read are simply that isn't shown and most likely is being reserved the mini series that'll come out later in the year. Not being shown is not equal to being retconned.
alexwill22

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
I have two tickets for Naruto the Last Movie. This is for the Virginia Area. I will not be driving down there since a snow storm is coming in my area. $30 for both tickets, the showing is Sat Feb 21 @ 12pm at the:

Angelika Film Center & Cafe at Mosaic
2911 District Ave
Fairfax, VA 22031
Phone : 571-512-3301

I will send you the confirmation number and email the Fandango Ticket confirmation info in PDF. Please PM me for more info or offers.

Thanks
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen this movie yet but I already can agree with some of the complaints.

The series was never really about romance so suddenly throwing it in the final movie that is supposed to close the series feels really unearned and stupid. There was VERY little buildup to these pairings. If Kishi was going to ship Hinata and Naruto he really should have done so after the Pain fight. Seriously that chapter/episode was a clear spark for their relationship to start since Hinata put her life on the line for him and even confessed to him. Why did nothing come of it? It really pisses me off to this day. Sorry but just throwing in a movie that has what we SHOULD have been getting this whole time doesn't make me like the movie.

As someone said before this movie is basically fanservice and nothing more. It satisfies people who wanted these particular pairings to happen but does nothing else special or worth while with a generic plot and villain. It's about as phoned in as you can get and only cashes in on the fandom of these pairings. GTFO Kishi! >:/
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
The villain and his intentions were definitely run-of-the-mill, but that's been the case with every other film in the franchise, as well as the series proper. As someone who couldn't care less about the cast's romantic connections, I found the film to be immensely enjoyable. Even if you have zero interest in the romance factor, the battle sequences are among the most exciting and imaginative the series has ever offered. (In my opinion, anyway.)

Still, if you're this determined to dislike the film before even seeing it, there's a good chance you won't enjoy it. Having seen it twice, I can assure you it functions as more than fanservice.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Pen Expers wrote:

No one asked? I don't think you realize how many people have been fans of this relationship for a long time - In Japan, relationships in a series are a pretty huge thing inside of fandoms, Naruto is no exception.

Besides, focusing on boring battles as the grand finale would've been... Well, boring - This movie at least attempts something different for a conclusion, instead of just more bland, overlong battles.

Though the funny thing is Naruto and Hinata's relationship WAS an answer people had been asking for. I reiterate, it got to the point in the series where people just did not care about the central conflict anymore. The whole Uchiha clan malarkey had just become dull and people were wishing for it to just get it over with.

In fact, looking back at the series and WHY people were interested in Hinata is simple: she was actually one of the better characters and had a full character arc. Because what is it? Insecure girl is born to a prestigious family but due to her timid nature has a few stumbles and thinks she's a loser. However, she then finds a role model and someone she can relate to. Through his example she begins to grow more confident, showing that she was never a loser in the first place. And the capstone to that is her living happily ever after with the boy who showed her that. Hinata, despite being a side character, actually has a full structure to her arc. Furthermore, she never does anything selfish, stupid (going up against Pain without a backup plan notwithstanding), and never takes a step back in her character growth. And she has quite a lot of key scenes where she does contribute something.

Although, a stumbling block to this is in the movie. spoiler[Instead of Naruto realizing Hinata's love by, y'know, her own actions and feelings, it takes some weird genjutsu connecting their memories. It really should have been Hinata just TELLING him to drive home the point that she was sick of just pining for him and wanted an actual relationship thus also showing she had grown in her convictions in love in addition to everything else. Though admittedly it was kind of funny since that scene was basically the entire universe saying "SHE WANTS YOU TO JUMP HER BONES! NOW GET TO JUMPIN', DUMBASS!" Still, considering Naruto's legendary density I suppose that's the only way he could get the hint]
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Blackwolf0925 wrote:
^^^^----Just came back from Tempe myself to see if anybody caught the late showing as well. I did not think it was going to be sold out, but I am glad I bought my tickets early. Love how everybody was so into it too, they where right there Ooohing and Aahhing at the big scenes. I got to say I loved every minute of it. Will buy it as soon as it is released here. Very Happy

That's so awesome you were at the Tempe showing! I was at the 6:30 one, I preordered my tickets because I was worried about it selling out (would not have wanted to make that 2hr trip only to have been out of luck ticket wise), but they still had seats available for that showing 15 minutes before starting which is amazing. Makes sense the later showings would be more packed. It definitely was a really awesome experience and I will definitely be buying it when it comes out on bluray.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

If Kishi was going to ship Hinata and Naruto he really should have done so after the Pain fight. Seriously that chapter/episode was a clear spark for their relationship to start since Hinata put her life on the line for him and even confessed to him. Why did nothing come of it? It really pisses me off to this day.

I have to agree with this specific point. IIRC, other than a comment from another character or two (if even that), this was never really addressed before the final arc started when it should have been. I don't even think Naruto mentioned the confession or what he thought of it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I feel the review was biased.

Biased in what sense? I follow Amy's Shippuden reviews every week, and she's hardly a Naruto apologist.

Quote:
The reviewer herself pointed out the major flaws of this movie such as recycled plots that was basically a repeat of the Madara fight, as well as a virtual clone of the first Shippuuden movie (replace Shion with Hinata). And an overly done cliche villain that you seen in a ton of times in anime, that just make it uninteresting to watch. And yet give it a superior rating, where surely professional movie critics would've frowned upon and gave it a "thumbs down".

I think a "professional" film critic would do exactly what this reviewer did - i.e., weigh the good against the bad. Despite being unhappy with the cliche villain, she clearly didn't feel that it detracted enough from the film's enjoyability to warrant a bad review. It's entirely possible to enjoy a movie while still acknowledging that certain aspects of the film didn't work.

Quote:
If you ask me the ranking should've been:

Overall : D
Story : D
Animation : B+ (CGI ruined it in some spots)
Art : B
Music : C

And now we've stumbled upon the real nature of your beef. The reviewer's opinion of the film differed dramatically from your own, therefore her take on the movie was biased and unprofessional.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
And now we've stumbled upon the real nature of your beef. The reviewer's opinion of the film differed dramatically from your own, therefore her take on the movie was biased and unprofessional.

And then there's the reverse: If the reviewer's opinion of the film was mostly the same as your own, her take on the movie was unbiased and professional.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
As stupid and bland the villain was and how rather stupid it is with how our characters can somehow breathe on the moon, this is still a pretty good movie for the Naruto film canon.
Mikael Z. Haswell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Thank you! I agree the plot was extremely clechie and the bad guy was plain but let's be honest here: it's a action story ending in a love story. There is plenty of good action to be sure but the main focus is Naruto x Hinata. For the hole genjutsu thing seeing as how Naruto's completely sense when it comes to love as said by Sakura and Kishimoto it was going to take more then just Hinata confessing to him im order for it to sink in. Plus as we now know all he ever felt was Sakura was an obligation to beat Sasuke at something and a crush so we can throw the "Naruto loved Sakura" out the window. So I agree with this review though I would have probably gave it story wise a B+
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
just saw the movie today and i loved it! Naruto and Hinata were so cute <3 True, the villain was meh but the romance was sooo lovely! but why C+ on the music?!?! I loved the OST!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And then there's the reverse: If the reviewer's opinion of the film was mostly the same as your own, her take on the movie was unbiased and professional.

Not my point at all. As long as a reviewer is able to cogently explain why he or she feels a certain way about a film, book, television series, etc., they've done their job. Amy explained why she held the film in high regard while still pointing out things she perceived as flaws and graded the movie accordingly. I don't necessarily agree with every review I read on ANN - or anywhere else on the web, for that matter - but as long as reviews meet the aforementioned criteria, I abstain from throwing around terms like "biased" and "unprofessional."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5