• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline Site: Proposed Robotech Film Gets New Writer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
It would be interesting to meet someone that can argue what was "good" about shadow chronicles.

It was under 90 minutes and some of the women had nice boobs? That's about it.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

It would be interesting to meet someone that can argue what was "good" about shadow chronicles.

Please note use of the term "addiction".

Didn't say it was good for you, just said that folks will watch it.

/has Shadow Chronicles in his personal collection
//now feels a bit ashamed about it
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey, they finally got around to making the (criminal underrated) Speed Racer movie after a decade in development hell, so if they can do that - who knows, perhaps Robotech will come together.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Robotech was Harmony Gold's edited and rewritten 1985 adaptation of three separate anime science-fiction series:
And that's why no matter how they make this, not that it's even got a snowball's chance in hell of being made, I couldn't care less. Razz

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117--
Hey, everyone has their guilty pleasures -- mine is Negima!
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Yoda117--
Hey, everyone has their guilty pleasures -- mine is Negima!

one of us...
one of us...
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Keep wondering how they're gonna get this off the ground without any of the Japanese licensors suing, if they try to release the film in Asia.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to having a guilty pleasure in general, but yeah.

FWIW: I have hanken mono cels from a few Macross series.
Treiz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

What was good? For a start it revived a 20 year dead property, that's more than good, it's a miracle. It was created by fans for fans. It introduced new characters and brought together characters from the second and third generations for the first time in animation. It both maintained the continuity of the show and featured locations that had only ever been spoken of in the show. It introduced a new path for the story as opposed to following the nonsense in the novels. Etc etc

There are plenty of good things about Shadow Chronicles.

GATSU wrote:
Keep wondering how they're gonna get this off the ground without any of the Japanese licensors suing, if they try to release the film in Asia.

The only thing they could sue over is the character designs, so long as Warner releases the movie as live action and does updated mecha and ship designs the Japanese studios don't have a leg to stand on.
Zethus_Thorne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I think Pacific Rim has something to do with it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For a start it revived a 20 year dead property

Had Shadow Chronicles "revived" the property, there would have been further work.
At the very least, the kickstarter for the proposed Academy work should have at least garnered the goal, it didn't because the last big work with name Robotech tied to is WAS Shadow Chronicles.

The only thing trying to be used with Robotech is selling the name, at best we get the equivalent of Godzilla 98 where a director simply spits out there own movie while tossing in "a giant lizard" (in this case it would be transforming robots) to tie it up with the NAME they are trying to sell.

Michael Bay could probably make a "Robotech" film that could make its money back, but it would still be a Bay film.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
new writer attached to Robotech film?

I believe the term is "Shackled to a Corpse"

I am of the opinion, like many others that this franchise had a nice big and appreciated role in helping expose American audiences to anime, and getting us things we never would have. But it is time to move on. Macross as a franchise is still very alive and kicking in Japan and I eagerly await news on the newly announced series. New music careers will be made, Kawamori will do something nutty, yet fun again. What will happen if a Robotech movie gets made? Eeeeeh probably not much, and will only deepen the rift between the fanbases.

Now I watched Robotech on Toonami and loved it then, but the time for it has passed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Treiz:
Quote:
The only thing they could sue over is the character designs, so long as Warner releases the movie as live action and does updated mecha and ship designs the Japanese studios don't have a leg to stand on.

But they'd have to call it 'Macross' overseas to appeal to that audience, and they can't, so...
Treiz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
For a start it revived a 20 year dead property

Had Shadow Chronicles "revived" the property, there would have been further work.
At the very least, the kickstarter for the proposed Academy work should have at least garnered the goal, it didn't because the last big work with name Robotech tied to is WAS Shadow Chronicles.

As you say, there has been further work. Shadow Rising, Robotech Live Action, Robotech Love Live Alive, and Robotech Academy, Comics, Collectables, etc. All this while other great shows have remained dead.

As for the Kickstarter, there are plenty of reasons why it didn't meet the goal, not least of which was the CONSTANT trolling and negativity brought on by the Macross Purists and those upset with the Palladium Kickstarter issues. To the extent that Shadow Chronicles had anything to do with it I only saw those who would have preferred they work on Shadow Rising instead of Academy.

GATSU wrote:

But they'd have to call it 'Macross' overseas to appeal to that audience, and they can't, so...

The only place overseas that would know it as Macross would be Japan, and it wouldn't be worth it to remake the movie as Macross for just that one market. It doesn't matter what the title of the movie is, if it has giant robots in it the Japanese will turn out to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3