• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aug SJ Evolution details, Muhyo & Roji, Kurohime license

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, I got my August 2007 issue of Shonen Jump in the mail on Thursday, and here's some more details on SJ Evolution (Others might already know about some of this, though):

- A spotlight feature on Kurohime will be in the September 2007 issue.
- Vol. 1 of the Naruto Movie Ani-Manga will be available for sale in September.
- A manga preview of Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation will be in the October 2007 issue.
- Coverage of Vols. 16-27 of Naruto will be in the November 2007 issue, as they will NOT be serialized in the magazine. To those who actually aren't aware of this yet or are in a state of denial, then this is confirmation that Viz WILL jump ahead in the Naruto storyline (which'll begin in the January 2008 issue, if that wasn't obvious enough).
- One SJ series will end. Gee, I wonder which one that is. Rolling Eyes Razz (Though I actually like it, so it'll be a little sad to see it go.)
- Guess what? this month's Bo^7 chapter is Chapter 2. Viz, you sipmly amaze me.

Well, to those who wanted Muhyo and Roji out, it looks like your time has finally arrived (for the most part). Past previews haven't necessarily guaranteed a license (Bo^7, Gintama), but they were eventually licensed, so I'd think it'd be likely that Viz has it.

I've heard of Kurohime being mentioned around these parts at some point. Was it an Amazon solicitation or something

On another note, here's one that I'm confused about, though (quoted directly from the mag):

- "Bonus: Read the original Naruto story that started it all."

Anybody have any idea what that means?
~
Oh BTW, here's a scan for proof:

EDIT: added Bo^7 info.

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Vahn17

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
They might serialize the pilot chapter of Naruto. Thus, the "started it all" thing.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote
Vahn17 wrote:
They might serialize the pilot chapter of Naruto. Thus, the "started it all" thing.

I see. But what would be the point in that, when they already did that oh so long ago?
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
They meant the one-shot
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
So I guess you're the official US Shonen Jump newsperson?? Why do you always get it so early lol.

Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Well, to those who wanted Muhyo and Roji out, it looks like your time has finally arrived (for the most part). Past previews haven't necessarily guaranteed a license (Bo^7, Gintama), but they were eventually licensed, so I'd think it'd be likely that Viz has it.

The first 2 volumes are already up for preorder at Amazon(Oct and Dec), so the license is definite. What really pisses me off is that it'll be bimonthly. The part that pisses me off is that Reborn has more volumes than Muhyo yet it's being released quarterly. If they're worried about catching up to the Japanese release too soon, they shouldn't be. Evil or Very Mad Besides, I would think they would want to speed up the Reborn release since the series only got super popular once the action starts in volume 8 and on.
As for Muhyo, I don't know what to think yet. I can't get a good grasp on what the series is about (action? mystery?). The art doesn't seem bad, but it doesn't jump out at me like other Jump series do. I can't help but think of Zatch Bell everytime I see it.

Quote:

On another note, here's one that I'm confused about, though (quoted directly from the mag):

- "Bonus: Read the original Naruto story that started it all."

Anybody have any idea what that means?

It was the one shot which ran before it became a series. Those are usually pretty interesting to see how the style or story idea changed (Bleach had some different stylistic things...like Rukia shrinking to pocket size after Ichigo takes her powers; and the Death Note one starred a little boy instead of Light).
I can't remember the Naruto one that well, but I remember it being very different from what it eventually became.

About the SJ Evolution thing, I remember hearing a new series would start in the magazine next year. Did they just mean Naruto Z ( Razz ) or is there something else in addition. The reason I ask is because on Amazon, Bleach vol.22 is set for a March 2008 release...which is a 5 month gap between the previous volume which comes out in October. Could Bleach be coming to the magazine (Dear God please no!!) or is it just the internet being the internet? I wants my volume 22 in December! I don't want them to slow down the manga release to let the anime catch up or anything. That would drive me mad!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
At this point, Bleach isn't too far away from catching up to the Japanese release, so they could be simply slowing down the releases (hopefully not that much each time) to prevent that.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
So I guess you're the official US Shonen Jump newsperson?? Why do you always get it so early lol.

I wouldn't call myself a spokesperson. I just simply get my issue early, and want to let people know about it. Razz

bahamut623 wrote:
The first 2 volumes are already up for preorder at Amazon(Oct and Dec), so the license is definite. What really pisses me off is that it'll be bimonthly. The part that pisses me off is that Reborn has more volumes than Muhyo yet it's being released quarterly. If they're worried about catching up to the Japanese release too soon, they shouldn't be. Evil or Very Mad

I was also aware that there aren't many volumes of M&R out in Japan. The fact that they're going to be released bi-monthly is just silly, as they're bound to catch up to Japan quickly and we'll probably be seeing an (at least) 6-month release pattern, ala Beet before MSJ folded.

bahamut623 wrote:
The art doesn't seem bad, but it doesn't jump out at me like other Jump series do. I can't help but think of Zatch Bell everytime I see it.

Heh, I see. Though I actually liked the look of Zatch Bell, so we'll see. Though from the pic in the mag, it looks quite different from what I'm used to seeing in SJ.

bahamut623 wrote:
It was the one shot which ran before it became a series.

Oh, the ONE-SHOT! Now I get it. I forgot that most (if not every) series gets a one-shot in the magazine first to see if the viewers like it enough for it to become a full-time title. I completely forgot about that..

bahamut623 wrote:
About the SJ Evolution thing, I remember hearing a new series would start in the magazine next year. Did they just mean Naruto Z ( Razz ) or is there something else in addition. The reason I ask is because on Amazon, Bleach vol.22 is set for a March 2008 release...which is a 5 month gap between the previous volume which comes out in October. Could Bleach be coming to the magazine (Dear God please no!!) or is it just the internet being the internet? I wants my volume 22 in December! I don't want them to slow down the manga release to let the anime catch up or anything. That would drive me mad!

I think they meant a new title. I'm assuming that it's to release Yu-Gi-Oh!, as it should be wrapping up pretty soon. & as much as I like Bleach, I hope that isn't going to be serialized full-time, either.

As for the slowdown, I dunno. I would think that they'd like to slow it down so they wouldn't catch up to Japan as well, but aren't the volumes compiled pretty quickly in Japan, too?

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Manji13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I don't see what the big deal is about catching up to the Japanese release. I would rather keep the bimonthly schlude for Bleach and then when we catch up with the Japanese release, to wait until a new tankabon is released in Japan, then translate and release it here (What Vagabond is doing now).What do you think? Anime smile . In my opinion, Tite (Taito, however you write it) Kubo has a good speed going, I figured about 4 new volumes evey year, right?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing Blue Dragon Ral Grad(o).

I don't know where this news came from, but check out its Wikipedia article:

"Viz has the rights to the English language version, under the title Ral Grad, with the first volume scheduled for release in February 2008."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Dragon_Ral_Grado

Or not...I just hope it's not Bleach. Please don't slow down the releases of Bleach, Viz!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Manji13 wrote:
Hmmm, I don't see what the big deal is about catching up to the Japanese release. I would rather keep the bimonthly schlude for Bleach and then when we catch up with the Japanese release, to wait until a new tankabon is released in Japan, then translate and release it here (What Vagabond is doing now).What do you think? Anime smile . In my opinion, Tite (Taito, however you write it) Kubo has a good speed going, I figured about 4 new volumes evey year, right?

It probably wouldn't be that big of a deal for a Shonen Jump series like Bleach. It would probably come out to quarterly releases anyway. It would probably be more desirable to drag things out a bit for something that only gets volumes once or twice a year, but there are series that have caught up including some from Viz (like Ouran).

So, it might not be that big of a deal, but it may be desirable for some reason for the licensor. I suspect it is preferable to have a steady release and not have more than 3-4 months between volumes if possible, unless its something in a magazine.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I've also been thinking it might be YuGiOh R Rolling Eyes
There aren't really any new licenses and most licenses are usually found out online well before they're officially announced. I just don't remember hearing about GX being licensed,so it might be the same case here. It seems most licenses have been found out because of the compiled volume being listed somewhere, if it's going straight to the magazine, the first volume might not be listed for quite a while, so we might know, which I think is what happened with GX and maybe with Blue Dragon (below)

Josh7289 wrote:

"Viz has the rights to the English language version, under the title Ral Grad, with the first volume scheduled for release in February 2008."

Or not...I just hope it's not Bleach. Please don't slow down the releases of Bleach, Viz!

That makes me happy because it's very very possible and it would mean it's not Bleach. Also the Feb 2008 release would seem to coincide with it starting up in the magazine in November. Hopefully this is true. The art does look pretty cool, but I've heard the story is pretty darn bad. It also seems to be near cancellation, but the license is probably true because it's a tie in for the game and it's Obata.
(so hopefully March 2008 for Bleach is entirely wrong!)

I've done the math several times with Bleach they won't catch up for at least another two years. And by then Bleach will probably be done or wrapping up maybe. Japan is up to 28. by the end of the year, they'll mayb be at 30, we (hopefully) will be at 22. By the end of 2008, we'll be at 28, Japan at anywhere from 34 to 36. Maybe the year after that we would catch up, but that all depends on how fast it comes out over there. Either way we'll always be at least a year behind. No need to slow down!!
toad sage 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
i think this might be off the topic kinda....but did they mention a naruto movie in the last sj? personally, i think it won't be very good. just think of it, how can they expext to have all the conflicts of a full season, compared to a 140minuite movie?

(i also get my issues early...they messed it up 2 years ago with 2 issues in december. they releaced the new years issue about a week after the december issue. i was supprised and thought they screwed up...)
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
toad sage 5 wrote:
i think this might be off the topic kinda....but did they mention a naruto movie in the last sj? personally, i think it won't be very good. just think of it, how can they expext to have all the conflicts of a full season, compared to a 140minuite movie?

Well the movies are usually stand alone original stories. Kind of like the waterfall special, except longer and probably with better animation.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I've also been thinking it might be YuGiOh R Rolling Eyes
There aren't really any new licenses and most licenses are usually found out online well before they're officially announced. I just don't remember hearing about GX being licensed,so it might be the same case here. It seems most licenses have been found out because of the compiled volume being listed somewhere, if it's going straight to the magazine, the first volume might not be listed for quite a while, so we might know, which I think is what happened with GX and maybe with Blue Dragon (below)

Josh7289 wrote:

That makes me happy because it's very very possible and it would mean it's not Bleach. Also the Feb 2008 release would seem to coincide with it starting up in the magazine in November. Hopefully this is true. The art does look pretty cool, but I've heard the story is pretty darn bad. It also seems to be near cancellation, but the license is probably true because it's a tie in for the game and it's Obata.
(so hopefully March 2008 for Bleach is entirely wrong!)

I've done the math several times with Bleach they won't catch up for at least another two years. And by then Bleach will probably be done or wrapping up maybe. Japan is up to 28. by the end of the year, they'll mayb be at 30, we (hopefully) will be at 22. By the end of 2008, we'll be at 28, Japan at anywhere from 34 to 36. Maybe the year after that we would catch up, but that all depends on how fast it comes out over there. Either way we'll always be at least a year behind. No need to slow down!!

There are already two Yu-gi-oh mangas in Jump. We don't need more! I personally wish that something like Nougami Neuro would get put in Jump. Jump right now needs some more adult titles. Naruto, One Piece and Yu-gi-oh x 2 don't scream "All Demographics!"
Vahn17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
But SJ isn't aiming for all demographics. They're aiming mostly for the 12-16 year old boy, and 16 years old is probably pushing it. They don't want adult titles. They want titles that young teenage boys will like. Many of us buy it--and I know I'm older than that demographic--but we're in the minority.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2