• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Breaking News: Halko Momoi Slams Anime Expo on Blog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ugh...maybe I am glad I didn't go after all. Confused

So how did the largest Haruhi dance go? Or was that at another con.. Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
So how did the largest Haruhi dance go?

It was a failure, no where near enough people were there.

Also, I was writing up a report on this for my LJ. Will be posted soon. And don't expect me to be easy with the AX staff. I am furious with them... Post will actually be mostly positive though, as her concert was by far my most enjoyable experience at AX this year.
cortanaMT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
There's a very good chance that AX complained to Avex about her blog. Japanese celebrities VERY seldomly publicly criticize any media-related outlet. It's a very big taboo. Momoi has always been a rather prolific blogger, talking about most anything. Even with that, a number of people I've talked to that have seen her posts from earlier today say that she sounds bratty and childish in them.

While I love her without any chance of it fading, I can see the influence of her record label in this late recant of her earlier problems.
Superflyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, I don't know about any of you guys, but I enjoyed AX.

I planned ahead; Day 1 lines are a given so I pre-registered and got my badge on Day 0, and I knew the AMVs were going to be a long wait, so I canned it from my list which turned out to be in my favor because it was rescheduled to day 3 because the AMVs were stolen (Welcome to Long Beach!)

So on day 3 I got to see the AMVs with little waiting, I got to see Oreskaband (Infinitely better than S.K.I.N.. The concert had NO lines, and the band started as soon as everyone was seated. They even did an encore!), I got to see Tekkonkinkreet (Which was awesome, by the way.).

Day 2 was pretty much all panels (That I came early to), but Day 3 was definitely the highlight of my AX experience.
Miho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, judging from what people have said about this it seems I didn't miss out that much....
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Miho wrote:
Well, judging from what people have said about this it seems I didn't miss out that much....

Oh, don't let this news misguide you, the concert itself was awesome. Despite all the setbacks that happened and the no autographs etc. (well, she did throw out some at the concert), I wouldn't have missed this concert for the world.

Edit: http://pantsgoblinx.livejournal.com/29084.html

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jinx626

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
AX was a complete disaster. My 4 years going to AX this is probably my worst one and probably my last. From long lines, incompetent staff, lack of shade, lack of customer service, technical difficulties, etc. Please see my rants in various threads on AX forums under same username.

Its a shame that i missed this concert as i had work and was pretty much fed up with AX in general. Sounded like a blast from what i have read on various blogs. I hope Halko Momoi doesn't have a bad impression of Americans in general.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I must say I had a LOT of fun at AX this year, and only really had two problems, though I'll just combine them since they're practically the same:

The Long Beach Convention Center. That place is pretty much awful. I missed the Anaheim convention center so much, and I'm completely thrilled AX won't be in Long Beach again next year. All the lines were outside with no shade, and I know that I got a sunburn, so many other people must have. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Maybe that was partially my own fault, but still. And the Artists alley was in the middle of the halls. That was kinda wtf right there. It made it so difficult to move to wherever you wanted to go [such as the Consol gaming room, where I spent quite a few hours.] The other annoying thing was getting out of the exhibit hall. You had to go outside and walk around the convention center to get out, that was a total pain.

One of the staff members told me they were way understaffed, and it was fairly obvious. :/ It also seems like nearly every large event was at least an hour late, though I really wish I had gone to see Oreskaband. I went to their focus panel and they were really adorable.
Camina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't go to her event/panel, but I wasn't happy with the planning.

I waited three hours just for a badge holder; one friend who had preregistered but didn't receive his badge in the mail waited about four hours, and my other friend who hadn't preregistered at all waited about six or seven hours. It felt like we were being punished for not showing up on Day 0.

A lot of staff and security were also really rude. I understand that they were trying to move a large volume of people from place to place without having a riot, but it wouldn't have killed them to answer a question without screaming.

Basically, everything was behind schedule and it was really crowded. At least the exhibit hall seemed better organized than in previous years.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Cicatriz wrote:
The other annoying thing was getting out of the exhibit hall. You had to go outside and walk around the convention center to get out, that was a total pain.

You could only go in through one way and you could only go out through one way. Thing I hated most (including my friends) was the obvious long walks to get from one area to another. The art gallery was in a place that I think took up unnecessary space, or what they could have done was put the art gallery up against the walls instead of having it right up the middle of the convention center walkway. And to have the video rooms in the various hotels surrounding the convention which meant that you had to walk even more, it was a great convention all right.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Her last post in her blog after the one complaining about AX is actaully very positive, praising AX and thanking those who came to her concert. She also stated that she would attend the closing ceremony, which she said earlier that she was not going to attend. When people put on a good impression and help you out it will change your day and experience quite a bit, it seems.

See "backpedaling" and "damage control." Wink Her more positive post isn't necessarily a complete lie, but it (and possible altering of the previous post) is probably a result of a chat with her manager and or PR person.
appleturbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
i normally would be willing to give the benefit of the doubt about a mistake or two but this year was probably the worst AX experience I have every had.

you ask an AX staff a question like where is the end of the line. no one knew. I got an answer well look for a sign that said seating (as in premier seats) there was no freakin sign.

what ever happened to you buy a premier ticket and no waiting in line!!!

Events could not start on time to save their life

What the heck happened to VIz? Tokyopop? Del Ray?
for all the fun i had, most of it was washed away from the horrible experience
xstylus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Believe me, the AX staff and management are just as disappointed about how this year went. Time management was by far the biggest failing that caused so many of the problems, and even with the best of preparations, surprises come up. If it weren't for such issues, this could have been AX's best year. I dearly wish I could say more, but it's not my place.

Momoi did not see AX at its best, and I'm certain that there's nobody more upset about it than AX itself, I assure you. I wanted to bow forehead to ground before her after the exhausting eight song blitz she did at AX Idol so that it could conclude on time.
dst1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
This year was problematic but not a disaster.

Well, the ASOS concert thing was a disaster but everything else went… well… poorly, but not to the point of a disaster.

Poor treatment and strict, non-sensible rules by AX staff toward the AX attendees is to be expected.

Poor treatment to Japanese guests is unacceptable.

Btw: I still had a great time. You just have to expect the worst from AX, that way your not disappointed very often.
huangm777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised in the least--the treatment Momoi got was exactly the same sort of thing that happened to us attendees. I was kinda expecting the line to be very long, sure (I couldn't go on Day 0), and something this large is bound to have problems. But not only was the venue way too spread out, and constant miscommunication--there was just a general sense that we were being treated as a herd, not as people. Having worked in large (non-anime) conventions before, I know crowd control is really tough, but they really need to work on not only staff numbers but staff manners: which means in the long run, it would probably be better to use paid or at least trained folks rather than volunteers.

Oh well. I met tons of cool people at AX, disorganization aside. It's telling that the AX staff may have sucked to Momoi, but her fans made her cry with joy. The fans at AX are great.

I describe my experiences with lines on Day 1 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=womYsDyldTg

Michael Huang
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8